I'm getting a housing upgrade

I have a wall of paneling in my living room that I painted the same colour as the rest of the room then painted every second stripe with varathane so it's shiny. Looks like really expensive wallpaper that matches my paint exactly. :lol:

Excellent news Miss Chicken, I do hope it fits as well as our new home does for us.

I have a wall of paneling in my living room that I painted the same colour as the rest of the room then painted every second stripe with varathane so it's shiny. Looks like really expensive wallpaper that matches my paint exactly. :lol:

I'm guessing it's this kind:

wooden2.jpg

That is indeed paintable - and does look as fantastic with a coat of paint (in whichever colour you'd like) as it looks cheap (cigar-box'y) without :bolian:
I think all places where they put that sort of panelling up in the seventies they painted it white during the eighties :rommie:

It's the other way 'round with this sort of panelling:

wooden1.jpg

Where it looks a bit tacky if you paint it over with a solid colour.

i had a new roof put on last month and installed a new toilet last week. i hate wood paneling. one day i'll get rid of the giant, ugly chunk that consists of one wall in my living room.

I'm guessing it's this kind:

wooden2.jpg

That is indeed paintable - and does look as fantastic with a coat of paint (in whichever colour you'd like) as it looks cheap (cigar-box'y) without :bolian:
I think all places where they put that sort of panelling up in the seventies they painted it white during the eighties :rommie:

It's the other way 'round with this sort of panelling:

wooden1.jpg

Where it looks a bit tacky if you paint it over with a solid colour.
Is it horrible that I kind of like it? Not the top one, but the bottom. I could see the bottom one looking really nice if it came halfway up the wall in a white room with very clean and modern interior design.

Governmental/public housing for low income people. I have a three bedroom house which I share with my sons. Roughly speaking, rent is 1/4 of household income. I pay $233 a week for a house for which the full market rental has been determined to be $320 a week.
That seems very interesting. There is no such thing where I live.

Is it horrible that I kind of like it? Not the top one, but the bottom. I could see the bottom one looking really nice if it came halfway up the wall in a white room with very clean and modern interior design.

My thoughts exactly. I think that some kinds of wood panelling, mixed with the right paint color for the rest of the room, could look really nice.

Update on my upgrade

Got a phonecall yesterday. They are starting work on the bathroom on Monday. It will take around 5 days.

I will take before, during and after photos to show you.

Last edited:
That's great Miss C, you deserve it.:bolian:

I just moved in with my girlfriend and her house is a 100 years and the kitchen and bathrom are the rooms that show it the most so send the guys over here when they are finished.;)

Update on my ungrade

Got a phonecall yesterday. They are starting work on the bathroom on Monday. It will take around 5 days.

I will take before, during and after photos to show you.

Good for you!

But it reminds me that the bottom is about to fall out of my bathroom... one day while taking a shower I'll end up in the cellar :lol:

No, not really :lol: -it's actually more like: :scream:

Congrats, Chicken!

Flooring and tiles in our bathrooms and kitchen were redone three years before we bought our house. The floor in one bathroom is discolored around the toilet. The floors in the kitchen and 2d bathroom are those 12" x 12" tiles they have at work...we can't acid-wash and re-seal them in our kitchen and they are VERY porous with dirt. Magic eraser cleans them, one at a time, hands-and-knees. Ugh!

At some point, the plumbing is going to need to be replaced (72 yo house). Its all IN the plaster walls. That's when I'll redo the floors with white hexagonal tile, popular when the house was built. The cabinets are all nice, with really curved corners and trim at the ceiling. Nicely streamline moderne-ish. If I can redo the counters, too, it'd be nice. Either soapstone or black quartz.

Big dreams. Little wallet.

Don't forget to ask them to do any little extra things you can't do yourself while they are there. They will probably be very accommodating.

I can't really think of anything for them to do as the rest of the house is in good nick.

I forgot to ask him on the phone if he had gotten permission to replace the galvinised pipes as there is rust in them and it is a bit silly to put new shower etc unless the pipes are replace. He told me he would try to get them to agree to that and also said he would ask permission to remove the wood-panelling in the toilet.

Before photos of my bathroom

Bathroom-before.jpg

Bathroom2-before.jpg

Minus all the rubber ducks who have been safely stored away.

The toilet with its horrible woodpaneling and awful floor tiles

Toilet-before.jpg

Last edited:
^The tiles (toilet) scare me. I hope the new bathroom will be spectacular

It scares me that someone once lived in house who thought that those tiles were a good idea. They are not what the Housing Department would have put in so they must have been there when Housing purchased the house.

I am not expecting anything spectacular, I will be satisfied with just better. It is the Housing Department paying for it afterall so I expect it to be rather standard.

My bathroom after half a day's work

Halfwaybathroom.jpg

and they have started to take down down the wood paneling and take up the tiles in the loo.

Back