I'm building the entire Starship Enterprise interior at 1:25 scale

I'll say this for Mr. Trek: he's a fellow enthusiast, he's exploring his own vision and having fun with it, and his skills are a joy to behold. The shuttle he made is a dazzling scratch build. And his captain's chair that can swivel and right itself? That's a delight. @Mike Nevitt probably isn't reading this, but it should be said.

Yeoman Rand's cabin number is Y3-90.

Thanks for putting me through that waste of time. :rommie: I had to dig out the screencap from "The Enemy Within" (it was 3C 46), and then unearth the fact that you were quoting an SNL sketch I should have remembered myself. That sketch always bugged me because the Trekkies were citing wildly incorrect episode numbers for their trivia, and I wasn't having it.

Thanks for putting me through that waste of time. :rommie: I had to dig out the screencap from "The Enemy Within" (it was 3C 46), and then unearth the fact that you were quoting an SNL sketch I should have remembered myself. That sketch always bugged me because the Trekkies were citing wildly incorrect episode numbers for their trivia, and I wasn't having it.
:guffaw: Sorry/Not Sorry.

I googled a transcript of the sketch to double check the cabin number they used & discovered that I STILL remembered the cabin number from the sketch. :lol: (As a ST fan who also co-hosts an SNL podcast, I've seen that sketch a LOT.)

And yeah, the episode numbers are way off, but it wasn't easy to double check that stuff in 1986, unless someone had a copy of The Star Trek Concordance or The Star Trek Compendium handy. They at least knew enough to name drop things like the episode titles "Errand of Mercy" and "The Enemy Within," Khan's middle name of Noonian, Leslie Thompson getting turned into a cube and crushed, the Enterprise being infected by spores, and the Mugatu. So it was obviously written from a place of love.

I am convinced Mr. Trek's version is his own concept.
If the ship were in bad shape, you could risk transporting the bridge crew to the main shuttlebay.

So getting back to topic, does Mr Trek's build meet your personal realism scale?
Not really sure how to answer that, other than by saying I don't really have a personal realism scale, and even if I did, it wouldn't, by definition, be applicable to the work of others.

I guess I could add that what I'm on the lookout for in projects like this is clever solutions to mistakes and continuity errors between the various onscreen and behind-the-screen source materials, like what Warped9 did with his Galileo project.

What Mr Trek is doing is interesting, but so far I haven't seen anything I would consider inspirational.

I generally enjoy all of the attempts to visualize the interior of Enterprise, even the ones with a plethora of "I wouldn't have done that" choices, because even those might have some interesting insight I may have never considered.
So getting back to topic, does Mr Trek's build meet your personal realism scale?
I would consider Mr. Trek's to be one of those filled with odd decisions, even so, I think his model be interesting in that there will likely be realizations made when we see how things have to actually physically fit together.
I would also try to put my mindset back into that time when the show was in production, much like I am doing in my TOS Unseen project in the Arts forum. Thats means largely ignoring influences post TOS.
Not calling you out specifically, but one post-TOS influence that seems particularly pervasive is the FJ blueprints themselves. Almost every floorplan author since then has adhered to the general idea of discreet floors filled with relatively small rooms. Based on real naval vessels, I think there should be a lot more Big Machines™ with the decks sort of hung around them, particularly in the secondary/engineering hull.
That sketch always bugged me because the Trekkies were citing wildly incorrect episode numbers for their trivia, and I wasn't having it.
And yeah, the episode numbers are way off, but it wasn't easy to double check that stuff in 1986, unless someone had a copy of The Star Trek Concordance or The Star Trek Compendium handy.
The use of "episode numbers" is such an inside baseball reference, I have to believe I use of the wrong ones was a little inside joke for Trekkies,

He’s given the bridge an escape shuttle
Yes indeed! It generated some conversation...
...So there's a secret shuttlebay in the saucer superstructure beneath the bridge now? :wtf:

I just think this is such a fantastically inefficient use of the ship's limited volume. What does this offer that escape pods, or being able to eject the bridge module itself as a giant lifeboat, don't?

At this point—just call it the scaled up TAS cityship…or what the dreadnought inflatable was supposed to be…manned by Giant Spock…you know…with a Star Destroyer in the hold…what?

Now what I think would be cute is El Baz looking like nothing but an aft-facing window on the base of a saucer neck where it joins the cigar shaped secondary hull.

Captain looks to go down with his ship, and he has his bridge crew as Rojan Kelvin cubes in the other seat.

The sides of the neck open—and out it flies.
Slide down the Jeffries tube to it….whee!

Last edited:
The use of "episode numbers" is such an inside baseball reference, I have to believe I use of the wrong ones was a little inside joke for Trekkies,
I bet you're right. It could've been subtle trolling.
The Concordance was in broadcast order only.
And the Compendium was in production order, which is also the order that I watched the show in syndication in the '70s and '80s. That's a large part of why production order has always seemed the "right" way to watch TOS to me.

He has totally lost me with this.
Yea, I have got to agree with you…. I like the fact that he has some interesting ideas but this one…hmmmm. A shuttle craft below the bridge? An escape pod, maybe. But a shuttle? For instance, I just toured the battleship USS Iowa and they had some smaller skips but not like one just near the bridge so the captain could leg it off the ship .

I’ll still watch his videos, they’re just fascinating. He’s quite skilled with building paper sets.

Which begs the question: does every crewmember get separate cabins, or do less prominent yeomans and security guards have to share?
The cabins are conducive to double occupancy, with the possibility of a bed on each side. Most college dorm rooms are way smaller.
The storage unit could even house a second set of drawers where the single cabin has a shelve:
https://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/screencaps/season3/309-tholian-web/tholian-web-br-550.jpg
https://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/screencaps/season3/309-tholian-web/tholian-web-br-551.jpg

Not calling you out specifically, but one post-TOS influence that seems particularly pervasive is the FJ blueprints themselves. Almost every floorplan author since then has adhered to the general idea of discreet floors filled with relatively small rooms. Based on real naval vessels, I think there should be a lot more Big Machines™ with the decks sort of hung around them, particularly in the secondary/engineering hull.
FJ certainly cemented that and fleshed it out in glorious detail. But the cross-section goes back to Jefferies.

Back