I'm a bit anxious....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by RyanKCR, Oct 27, 2011.

1. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I work at wallyworld and the standing around for 8 hours isn't that bad . . . breaks every two hours and an hour lunch so we're never on our feet for more than 2 hours at a time
    people that need it can use stools but they need a doctor's note :rolleyes: I think

2. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always hate having change counted back myself. It feels like someone is trying to scam me.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Um...that's a really weird way to feel about it.

4. Sean Aaron

Probably a result of people flubbing it and shorting me once or twice. Plus it takes too long. Just give me my fucking money already!

5. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

"well let's see, 2 pennies makes it 35, then a nickel, then a dime, then two quarters makes 13, and then here's....two ones for 15, and a five makes 20, have a nice day motherfucker!"
    it is a good way though to do change in your head, usually quicker than it can be entered in a cash register

6. Sean Aaron

But this is after the machine has already displayed how much money you're getting. I cannot remember the last time someone counted back my money in the UK. Usually I just get the change and then notes handed to me to count myself. Brilliant!

7. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

It is a cashier job. As long as you have some basic fortitude and math skills, it shouldn't challenging at all.

8. Colonel Green

Colonel Green Vice Admiral Admiral

I had the opposite experience.

I worked for the Home Depot for 3 years while in University, and I found that working conditions steadily worsened after the company founders were forced out (probably around 2001). When I started with the company approximately 70% of the staff at my was full-time with benefits, but the time I left it had dropped to about 40%. Staffing was constantly cut so management could make their bonus targets, to the point that they even refused to call people in to cover for people who called in sick.

That said, at one point my store was investigated by head office for having the highest turn-over rate of any Home Depot in the world, so I'm willing to accept the possibility that conditions were better at some other locations.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  9. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

You don't even need math skills, the register computer figures it out for you. A chimpanzee and two trainees could figure it out.

10. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've seen this being done by a pro IRL (he was doing it as part of a close-up magic trick rather than for criminal purposes). It's astonishingly effective. Even on a count-back, it's tricky to understand exactly what was done to con you out of the money, until you're talked through the method. It's quite a shrewd series of mathematical steps.

To the OP: no advice, but hope you enjoy it.

11. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

When you hand back change please hand over the coins first and THEN the paper bills. For some reason, everywhere I go I am handed the paper bills first and then the coins on top of the bills. I HATE that. The coins always slide off the bills. Why do people always do that?

12. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

To weigh the bills down probably. I like my local safeway's system which is they give you the notes but the coins come out of an automatic dispenser further down the check-out, giving you the space to put your notes away before picking up the coins.

Because it doesn't really matter which way round you get them, being given notes and coins at the same time is really awkward.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I completely agree.

14. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I had it happen to me when I worked for Golden Corral. It had been a long, long day (I was filling in for two sick people) and we were 10 minutes away from closing. The first thing the company assumed was that I was in league with the guy and that no one innocent would have fallen for what happened. Fortunately, I had one manager in my corner, and employees who knew I wouldn't have taken a dime and said as much.

You know, there have been two times in my life where I've been accused of stealing large sums of money from the register, and both times completely innocent. I'd never steal a thing in my life. Hell, I've felt guilty when given too much change and have been known to drive miles back to the store to return the excess.

15. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Definitely agree with this, I hate it when I have my bag in one hand and they hand me the coins on top of bills in the other, and the person in line behind me is trying to edge me out of the way, so that I have to find some place to stop and set things down while I unzip the tiny, difficult-to-reach coin section of the wallet/purse to slide coins in without dropping the bills. Ugh, just annoying.

16. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I hate that too, but a cashier I'll tell you why it's probably done that way in most places"

The way the tills are set up, cash is near the back of the till and the change is up front. It's just common practice to start from the top and work your way back. So cash is always collected first and then the change.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

How a cashier picks it up out of the drawer doesn't have a whole lot to do with how the cashier hands it over to the customer, though. Taking the bills out of the drawer first never prevented me from giving the customer the coins first.

18. Sean Aaron

I've had it done either way or with coin in one hand and notes in the other! Of course the fact that we have £1 and £2 coins means that unless I'm using £20s I tend to get only coinage in return. Frankly I'd like to see the £5 note replaced with a coin already.

19. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

It's just the way most people are used to doing it then I suppose. For me personally, since I always pick up the bills first I just naturally put the change on top. Seems like one step too many to make the bills be the ones on top.

20. Sean Aaron

Just wrap the notes and coins in a little Japanese parcel with some tape and everyone will be happy.