If you had been one of the writers ...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Bad Thoughts, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry. I corrected my post.

2. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

It wasn't a problem with the writers that made her want to leave, so changing the writing alone wouldn't make her want to stay.

The writers don't get the option to say "we're only going to use Jadzia in the first and last episodes of the season," that's up to the producers.

3. Bad Thoughts

No, she didn't have problems with the writers. However, she has said in interviews that she felt her character was more or less interchangeable with others and not as critical as some of the recurring characters. Conversely, she expressed some regret when she learned later that ISB had big plans for Dax. I think it's fair to take her claims as being at least somewhat honest, and they she might have been more inclined to stay if she thought the job was more rewarding.

4. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

If I could write I would have written some science fiction in season 4 or 5 so Dax could have something to do as the science officer.

2takesfrakes, kkt and bigdaddy like this.
  5. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would have significantly reduced the pseudo-mystical hooey in the final season.

Kor

bigdaddy likes this.
  6. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks!
    No hard feelings. You aren't the first who have made that mistake.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Let's be honest, if the actor feels like her character has been useless for 6 years do you really believe that the writers would do something with the character in the last season?

8. Bad Thoughts

Have you been around this subforum much?

9. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

But she got to do a fair amount in Season 6. She got married, had courtship episodes with Worf, sat in the Big Chair of the Defiant, and did the wounded in the woods episode. In a show with an ensemble cast, that's nothing to complain about.

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

True. I thought she left because she was being harassed by one of the producers, which seems to be an issue through Star Trek.

Either way, I think everyone agrees that her leaving could have been handled much better.