If You Created a Cheap Star Trek Knockoff...

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by uniderth, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Yes Man the Great

Yes Man the Great Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I’d call it Star Trackers, the Spock character would be bald with purple skin, a robot would serve as comic relief, the captain would probably be even more into alien women then Kirk, Starfleet would now be United Earth Space Millitary, the main villain would be a knockoff of Darth Vader and the main female character would have three breast (might be too pervy).

uniderth likes this.
  2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

SPACE FRONTIER
    An action-adventure drama series focusing on the adventures of the Unified Space Ship Venture exploring the outer reaches of our Galaxy and defending the Federal Unification of Planets from space threats both natural and deliberate.

THE SHIP:
    U.S.S. Venture, Yorktown-class heavy spacecruiser. Crew: 431. Maximum speed: Distort Level 7.
    Spacenavy registry number CCN-1107.

MAIN CHARACTERS:
    Captain Timothy J. Kwong, Human male. Age 30+. Man of action. Has an eye for attractive women, both human & not.
    Commander Grok, Eridani male. Age 130+. Ultra-serious first officer with little tolerance for foolishness.
    Doctor Reynold Hatfield, Human male. Age 40+. Frequently grouchy chief medical officer.​

uniderth likes this.
  3. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tim Walker and uniderth like this.
  4. Xhiandra

Xhiandra Captain Captain

Tsar Trek.
    Siberia, so bloody cold. These are the travails of the carriage Endeavour. Its two-year mission: to tour the oblasts and cement Pyotr's rule, to seek out and execute rebellious petty lords, to oppress commoners, to bring Imperial justice wherever it goes!

Pyotr would, of course, be played by a British actor. And given the limited budget, we couldn't get a good one, so we'd grab the first guy that comes along. He'll have a cockney accent.

uniderth likes this.
  5. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

An evasion would be for the characters to use projectile weapons. "See, it can't be Star Trek-no phasers".

uniderth likes this.
  6. Tim Walker

A bit of misdirection-hints of other franchises.

Firefly, for example. As I recall, there was kanji writing on the hull of the Serenity. And the scripts included Chinese curses.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    uniderth likes this.
  7. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

Another thought I had recently is you could make the "Star Trek" of the Star Trek universe. What was the science fiction franchise that started in the 1960s of the Star Trek universe that our characters grew up watching? Thank could be in interesting take as a knock off.

No, I'm not making Star Trek. I'm making Star Trek's Star Trek.

8. Tim Walker

There could be a serial number painted on the hull. A generic serial number, however. None of this "N.C.C." stuff.

In effect, yes, a serial number, but with part of the serial number filed off.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    Yes Man the Great likes this.
  9. Tim Walker

One could use fabric glue to turn cheerleader uniforms into Starship uniforms. Just glue on NASA patches and military insignia.

Orphalesion likes this.
  10. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yup that's the idea. Cheerleader Uniforms in vaguely Star-Trekky colours with Nasa patches glued onto them.
    But remember, they're ironic. They are definitely not there to show off the bodies of the hot 25 year olds with whom we have filled the cast so that viewers will tune in. No way. :shifty:

JonnyQuest037 and Tim Walker like this.
  11. Tim Walker

Absolutely correct. There is no way that we would try to use sex appeal by casting beautiful young women and handsome young men. Never! :)

Orphalesion likes this.
  12. Tim Walker

Rahul mentioned robots and ray guns.

Sponsoring research into such weapons, the Pentagon uses the term Directed Energy Weapon (DEW). Another term I have seen is beam weapon.

If the producer determines that the characters should carry DEW side arms, it will become important to acquire props that look like futuristic weapons.

I thought back many years. I was in a toy store. I noticed some squirt guns and thought that they looked very futuristic.

13. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I personally love looking at toy guns as they often look very futuristic. Nerf, laser tag and the like would be easy props to create.

Also, I found the source of inspiration for my uniforms:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

F. King Daniel and uniderth like this.
  14. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

In two starship simulator games I worked on the rayguns were called Enhanced Beam Weapons or EBWs.

15. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I was way ahead of my time when I came up with that idea almost 20 years ago!
    I was thinking an anthology series that rotated time periods weekly, basically 4 different Trek shows with different casts and plots, rotating in the same weekly time slot.
    [​IMG]

fireproof78, uniderth and Dukhat like this.
  16. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I'd go for the gold. I'd make it a parody of '50s and '60s sci-fi.

Tim Walker likes this.
  17. Tim Walker

OK, any ideas regarding the design of the ship? The name of the ship?

18. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

19. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

It's gotta look like a rocket. The phallic shape is being true to Gene's Vision... Gene's Other Vision. :whistle:

I'd call it the Lexington. It was a naval ship in the Civil War and fought on the side of the Union. And it sounds like a Star Trek name. ;)

Tim Walker likes this.
  20. Tim Walker

I would suggest that a saucer section is iconic to Trek. But that leaves a lot of other possibilities.