If you could write a character for DS9, who would it be?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by WinterSoldier, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

LMAO!!!

I pictured that quote in my head, and I just couldn't stop laughing.

Discofan likes this.
  2. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

She could headbutt his balls...:lol:

3. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

A Breen character would be interesting. Without helmet of course....

somebuddyX likes this.
  4. alpha_leonis

alpha_leonis Captain Captain

This is more a commentary on the state of science fiction in general, but I think DS9 is a perfect example of a show that could take this topic on.

By far the majority of human characters in any sci-fi story are non-religious, or they take on some kind of Humanist philosophy. Babylon 5's Ivanova was the only human sci-fi character that I can name offhand, who follows any kind of legitimate human religion that exists in our reality (as opposed to a religion that was invented for the story.)

Most religious characters in sci-fi are alien, since humans are supposed to have outgrown the need for religion by whatever time frame the story is set in. But, every alien race is pretty monolithic with whatever religion they follow (if any.) Within Star Trek specifically -- Vulcans are *all* followers of Surak. Klingons are *all* followers of Kahless.

On DS9, Bajorans are *all* followers of the Prophets. But I'll give the DS9 writers credit, "Prophetism" was given a pretty nuanced presentation. Any religion that can accommodate both Winn and Bareil as followers appears on the outside to be a pretty diverse faith.

But: are there other religions on Bajor (or Vulcan, or Kronos?) Is there such a thing as a Bajoran who follows a non-Prophet-believing religion? What would that religion be like? How would that religion fit within the Prophetism-dominated social structures of their planet? I speculate this could be the remnant of a faith that existed before the Bajorans first came in contact with the Orbs, perhaps people who disbelieved in the idea that the orbs were of supernatural origin.

I'd love to see a recurring Bajoran character who follows that minority religion, with the occasional religious conversation (or debate) with Kira, or Winn, or even Sisko as he comes to accept his role as the Emissary.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    somebuddyX likes this.
  5. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I think the whole point of the Breen is that we never saw their faces, plus they spoke in statics that everyone but us seemed to understand. Kinda like Morn and his talking.

6. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Which made the whole Breen suits great for deception maneuvers, like Kira and Dukat wearing the suits with helmet. It reminds me of Spaceballs where Dark Helmet (in German Lord Helmchen) was supposed to grimace under his helmet. The Breen could do the same without us seeing it!

Bad Thoughts likes this.
  7. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

The Breen were a mysterious species. Weyoun says that the climate on their home planet isn't as cold as it is supposed to be.

We never knew what the Breen general said about Weyoun to the female changeling but given Weyoun's reaction to it, it wasn't flattering.

8. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Dax was ready to sacrifice everything including her symbiont to be with Lenara, while Lenara obviously didn't return the feeling.

9. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

The Bajorans also had the Pah-Wraith cult, though I suppose since they were cast out Prophets, you could argue it still follows the same religion.

10. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong thread (instead of Favorite Little Moments, as I had intended). I would appreciate it if you would move you post over as well. Thanks, Discofan.

11. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Especially if their minority religion casts Sisko in a different light, or has another DS9 character as their mythical figure.

12. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd like to see a former Starfleet soldier-type with a bad case of PTSD that the counselors couldn't treat, resulting in him leaving Starfleet service. He ends up finding some acceptance and understanding amongst the DS9 crew and decides to make his home on the station.

13. Sisko_is_my_captain

Along that vein, I'd like to see a flat out human Catholic priest to explore how some humans might have remained in that faith in the future. It would be intriguing to imagine how a persistent Christian minority might have reacted to aliens, perhaps including some of them in the faith.

TribbleFeeder likes this.
  14. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

The problem with that is that most Atheists/Agnostics find it uninteresting (to be polite) and that a large part of the believers finds that kind of speculation offensive. So you're left with a very small audience.

15. Sisko_is_my_captain

Fair enough. I'd find it interesting, though.

16. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

I really wanted R. Lee Ermy to play the part of O'Brian's old boot camp instructor stopping by the station........

17. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We hear of Vulcan religion (religions) in TAS, TSFS, VOY and ENT.

Debatably Spock's family ancestral shrine, the monasteries, the temple Tuvok's wife wrote of, could all be of completely different and distinct Vulcan religions.

From ENT (at least in that time period) relatively few Vulcans seemingly were committed followers of Surak's philosophy.

18. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Very few Christians in history were/are real followers of the practise, they just attended a place of worship.
    Exhibit A. The post apostolic history of so called Christian nations both Protestant, Catholic and Orthodox.
    Exhibit B - present day political Christians in the West, especially the USA

19. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

How about a Vulcan that would be short and fat? Or a tall Ferengi? A geeky Klingon? A Bajoran Atheist? A straightforward Cardassian?

somebuddyX likes this.
  20. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

I started thinking that the next generation of Bajorans might start having different views of their religion if they were a bit put off that the whole thing was created just so that Sisko could go fight the Pah-Wraiths in a cave. And there's got to be some older Bajorans who never accepted Sisko in the first place.

I always liked Nog's Starfleet Academy pals from the Marvel comic so I think it would have been neat to see them or some other competent cadets on the station.