If You Could Re-Imagine the Constitution-Class Refit...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by CuttingEdge100, Dec 5, 2008.

1. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

I would go with either Gabe's ship or Madkoifish's ship for the exterior, slightly revamped TOS costumes, props, etc, and the corridor and bridge sets from the new movie (after de-cluttering the bridge).

2. ncc-1017-e

ncc-1017-e Captain Captain

^ What you have to be kidding!

3. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gabe's ship, while a nice model, really isn't the TOS/TMP style. It's got Campbells Chunky Hull Plating and more cowlings than a WWII fighter squadron.

4. ncc-1017-e

ncc-1017-e Captain Captain

Question, what is this Madkoifish ship design? Imay not have seen it. I can't place it. I love Gab's design, just not for a TMP refit! TMP refit is perfect to me!

5. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gabe's first take on it was the "parallel universe BSG version" of the Enterprise. Not surprising at all when you consider the pedigree...

Gradually, it did get more "trek-like" and I liked it better. His (I LOVE your term here) "Campbell's Chunky Hull Plating" faded off, for example.

6. darkwing_duck1

I'm not. I thought the new corridor set looked pretty good. The bridge is good too, if they'd just get rid of the standing clear panels and take off the stupid desk lamp things on the stations.

For those who don't know what Madkoifish's design looks like I'll attatch some renders. He intended for it to be a redesign for the TOS era, but I think it works as a movie-era refit as well, having some of the features in the Phase II promo art that were put out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks very much like Gabe's.

8. darkwing_duck1

In some respects, but that's to be expected considering that the goal was to "reimagine" a TOS Connie true to the original but with updated details.

9. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

You know what?

I'm thinking about re-imagining my re-imagining!

If I could re-imagine the TMP refit, I would either rebuilt the Enterprise entirely, like I suggested earlier in this thread, OR...

I'd keep the TOS ship much the same as she was during TOS, with only minor revisions, the fewer the better.

Imagine the TOS Enterprise, with the exterior much the same as she was during TOS, and the interior sets simply toned down so the colors and textures were toned down a bit. (Not much.) And maybe I'd keep the uniforms the same as TOS, except the women would wear trousers like they did in the pilots.

10. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

I actually like both the TOS design and the TMP design. Which is why I'd want to take the best characteristics from both.

I like the clean lines of the TOS design, it's lack of superfluous surface detail, and the fact that it has an auxiliary nav-deflector in the saucer, (as it can separate from the secondary hull).

I like the revised primary and secondary basic hull-shape, the thicker-neck, the revised deflector dish and basic pylon and nacelle shape of TMP. I also like the basic centerline torpedo design of TMP, the phaser-design, and the ship's windows having a rounded-edge on them.

I mean logically I'd want to combine the best qualities of both ships.

TOS
    -Low skin surface detail/clean-lines
    -Smooth nacelle front-caps (I did not say the shape, just the smooth clean lined shape)
    -Navigation deflector in saucer

TMP
    - Basic Primary-Hull shape
    - Basic Secondary-Hull shape
    - Basic Warp-Nacelle shape
    - Thicker, revised neck
    - Basic pylon-shape
    - Bigger impulse-engines
    - Torpedo launcher on ships centerline
    - Revised navigation-deflector dish
    - Revised bridge-dome
    - Revised Phaser Set-up
    - Rounded windows

11. judexavier

judexavier Commander Red Shirt

Yes. When was this done? After the first trailer? It's sort of a toned-down Gabe E, with elements of the new movie ship, all blended over a TMP base. (the turbine blades are very similar to the new E).

It's nice, no doubt about it.

12. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

13. darkwing_duck1

I wanna say that MKF was working on it well before that...there was a spate of "reimagined" TOS Connies going back almost 2-2 1/2 years ago (like Dennis Bailey's USS Phoenix).

14. HRHTheKING

HRHTheKING Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great looking design

15. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Possible ST: XI spoilers, but mostly my own rampant speculation, so probably harmless:

My take on the Abrams Enterprise and canon is that it is canon, but it is what I call Second Canon. The events of TOS, TNG, DS9, and even (God help me) Voyager happened just as we have already seen - everything in the timeline that leads up to Nero and Ambassador Spock going back in time. Then, Second Canon begins, and it reflects changes made by both Nero, and by Spock, who has unloaded some knowledge on Starfleet - presumably including ship technologies.

To put all this in terms directly relevant to this thread, I don't think it is correct to consider Abrams' Enterprise as an ancestor of the Enterprise-refit. If anything, I believe it would be more accurate to consider it the illegitimate love-child of the TOS Constitution (which Starfleet would have had on the design board) and the Enterprise-E or maybe even -F (I'm not clear on when Nero and Spock are coming back from), which would reflect the input of Ambassador Spock. It certainly won't lead to the TMP refit. All bets are off.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  16. CuttingEdge100

Shaw,

How thick is the skin according to your estimates and figures?

I never thought about much being housed in the corridor-walls. Wouldn't that be a problem if a high intensity phaser-blast hits them?

USS_Triumphant,

Wha? Who's Nero?

I'm pretty sure you don't mean the psychopathic Emperor of Rome who blowtorched part of his city, then blamed Christians and brutally killed them...

CuttingEdge100

17. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Well, you can make an estimate of the outer hull for yourself...

[​IMG]

As opposed to the floor or ceiling? :wtf:

The only high intensity phaser-blast hitting a wall in the series was when Scott was attempting to cut his way into engineering... and he expressed just how delicate the work was.

18. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like maybe a foot and a half, max.

Although, the best answer is, "As thick as any given story requires it to be."

Everything must submit to the whims of the nefarious PLOT DEVICE!! (cue dramatic music)

19. CuttingEdge100

Shaw,

I'm not talking about just the sets on the show. I'm also talking about things, like for example, how thick is the saucer rim on the TOS Enterprise?

If each deck is ten feet, two decks would be at least 20-feet of the saucer rim... and there is a few inches between each deck. So when you take the thickness of the rim, then subtract 20-feet and a couple of inches... what's left over?

CuttingEdge100

20. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Why are you assuming that the decks on the outer rim are full 10 foot decks?

Other than near the dorsal, deck 6's inner core is completely divided from it's outer rim. You have to go to deck 5 to move from the outer rim of deck 6 to the center core of deck 6. The center core has a height of 10 foot, but the outer rim doesn't... nor does it have to as we never saw the outer rim (of either deck 5 or 6) in the show.

And none of this is a new subject... I refer you to the sketches I've done in my thread to date. At no point do I attempt to shoehorn in two full deck heights in the limited space of the outer rim... which is already diminished by the saucer's under cut. There are about a dozen graphics in that thread all displaying the same thing... a shorten height for the outer rim of deck 6.