If The Journey Did Take Decades...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Farscape One, Sep 16, 2018.

1. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In the first season of DS9, the episode "Dax":

In the fifth season episode "The Darkness and the Light":

So both of Keiko's parents were alive approximately four years after Keiko's mother's 100th birthday. Note that it is quite usual for a husband to be a few years older than his wife.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  2. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I doubt the portion of the Maquis crew were half but a quarter on board Voyager; Chakotay didn't have the numbers to execute a Mutiny. Could he have persuaded Starfleet officers to join him? Probably. But Chakotay was highly intelligent and he must have trusted Janeway to some how pardon whatever violations they'd done if and when the ship returned. Be subordinate, work hard and don't cause any trouble and with good behavior looks really good in a court setting.

XCV330 likes this.
  3. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Given how long humans live, the entire crew would not have died of old age. Apart from Kes.

4. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

She did anyway. Something to do with a Blarney Stone based on a rock discovered by Captain Kirk. XD

5. HugeLobes

HugeLobes Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But the Maquis would have had better combat sense, and numbers don't matter as much when you're fighting on a ship. Lots of corridors and the ability to take full command by controlling a few key areas.

That's always something I wish they'd played up. The Maquis being tougher and more experienced in combat. The Voyager crew being less experienced and more science-focused.

6. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Well, in the first reality, it did take them 26 years total to get home. I am guessing that there were quite a few adults born on Voyager by then.

7. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Miral would have grown up aboard Voyager..... Maybe B'Elanna and Tom would have expanded their family a bit...

8. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

In the alternate Voyager (the one that turned into silver blood), they said there were several births... I wonder why they were so different since they started basically at the same point ( IE soon after the Demon planet episode).

9. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure that they are tougher. The Maquis have advantages because they fight asymmetrically. They can hide among the civilian population, they can benefit from sympathetic people, they can make attacks against civilians and threaten to destabilize a situation, forcing SF to respond rather than fight. On Voyager, they would not only have none of those advantages, but they would be surrounded by people who probably had some battlefield training. Over time, those differences might be erased, assuming the Maquis could remain cohesive. By then, they would be two forces that are more or less alike.

10. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

The irony is that they invented the Maquis FOR Voyager and they did almost nothing with it.

Try listing the episodes that even mention the Maquis.

HugeLobes likes this.
  11. HugeLobes

HugeLobes Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yup, DS9 did a way better job with its Maquis episodes, especially the introductory ones. Honestly, I have no idea why they even bothered including them. Only ever comes up so Chakotay can say, 'ya know, when we were in the Maquis...'

Still sounds a bit tougher. I know that wasn't really presented in the show we got, but I really wish that divide had been established.

Bad Thoughts likes this.
  12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

In new Picard show he will be 90, just sayin'.

105 year old human crew will probably be like modern healthy 60-70 year olds. Still functional, intelligent people, but slower reaction times, less physical strength and agility. So they wouldn't be useless on the ship but they'd probably have given up major command duties to the younger generations.

13. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree, although there were other ways to show that the Maquis identity survived integration with Starfleet. It could have been explored more subtly by making more recurring characters from among the crew.

14. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Plus a few details like Picard switching to herbal tea, Riker grows a bread not to hide his baby face but his wrinkles, Worf: "Today is a good day... for Metamucil."...

15. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    I recall in one episode the doctor was making projections for this, and occasionally there would be discussions about having children on board, especially the ethics thereof-these children would be stuck on a ship they didn't ask to be on.

If it would have taken them 70-75 years to get home, with no shortcuts or boosts, this means that voyager would need at least 3 generations to see the voyage to conclusion-or at least two. Given 24th century medical technology.

As for settling down-it was discussed to be sure but it wasn't something I think Janeway had any real desire or interest in. She was going to see her crew home no matter how long it took or how hard it was.

16. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

The thing is that they would have to keep some kind of population control because of the limited place on a starship. I doubt there are any regulations about that so Janeway would likely make them up as they go along.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Contraception is one hypospray a month to the boy, according to Casdiday Yates.

In season 6 Voyager was 5 years away from meeting up was three Starfleet deep Space exploratory ships... Which should have been a worthwhile target to aim at since Caretaker.

The relief ships were 40k ly from earth, which means that they left earth 40 years ago... but if the ships are old and half as fast as Voyager, then they left Fedeation space 80 years ago... Around the time of Undiscovered Country.

If they had met, it would have been a huge culture shock.

18. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    How close was voyager to the beta quadrant border anyway? I know in Renaissance Man they say they are close but that was revealed to be an illusion.

They had to have gotten across most of the DQ by the end of season 7?