If our solar system is located in Sector 001, then…

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Ixtl, Feb 9, 2022.

1. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That really should be the Milky Way supermassive black hole….Divide the disk into “clock” segments…all planets measured in ly out and north or south of the core. Not Terran centric.

2. Ray Hardgrit

Ray Hardgrit Commodore Commodore

I'd imagine if you're north of the galactic core you're way way outside of the region of numbered sectors. The Enterprise D jumped a good distance from Federation space a few times but we never got a sector number given.

3. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Definitely in the galactic halo at that point, and maybe we need the sector system amended to account for that?

4. trynda1701

trynda1701 Commodore Commodore

Somewhere in the darkest reaches of the Universe!
    I believe the older Star Trek Maps had a Sector nomenclature that accounted for location based on how far it was away from the Central Navigation Beacon at the centre of Federation space (NOT Earth), in rings and layers (think curved lego brick-like sectors within a spherical volume), so the sectors were not just increasing from 001.

With a central sphere, and eight outer octants (called Quadrants) surrounding it, the sector number accounted for which 'Quadrant' and ring position the Sector was in, including North or South of the Federation equatorial plane.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    publiusr likes this.
  5. trekkist

trekkist Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

>If our solar system is located in sector 001...

I picture an "interesting" meeting of delegates during the run-up to establishment of the Federation:

Representative from Earth: As a speaker for the world who suggested the idea of the Federation, I propose the creation of a standard galactic navigation map, in which the Milky Way be divided into regions called "sectors," of which number 001 would be centered on Earth.

Andorian rep: You forget yourself, pinkski--uh, Mr. Delegate. Ours is the largest navy. Clearly Sector 001 should be centered on Andor.

Tellerite: If it's not centered on Teller, we're not joining.

(some sort of lizard): It is obvious that Sector 001 be the home sector of the species whose place in the galaxy's shared evolutionary ladder is the lowest...and thus, whether literally or not, the oldest.

(some sort of insect): That would be US.

Skorr: NO! The tallest of us should hail from 001!

McCoy's ancestor from John M. Ford's The Final Reflection; Y'all wouldn't even be sitting in this room if we hadn't invited you.

Tellerite: There are poor planets in the Tellerite empire. We will relinquish our claim on Sector 001 for ten trillion credits.

Vulcan (under her breath): Surak's TEARS.

Human; (under his breath): We're number one...

publiusr and trynda1701 like this.