If Mariner was a man, we’d all hate her.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' started by Death Ray, Oct 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I am an unabashed lover and defender of TOS. To me it is still peak Trek.

But damn, there were a handful of bad episodes I can barely revisit.

Deledrius and Chakoteya like this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, Star Trek is basically slop. Look back at TOS and TNG and you'll find a mix.

What happened was Trek got elevated way above it's station and people treat it as a religious imperative to be inspired. That's a difficult standard for an entertainment medium to continue on. Star Trek is "mere entertainment" and has been since TOS. Period.

Nyotarules and BillJ like this.
  3. Ianburns252

Ianburns252 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Have you been outside or gone to work in the last 30 years? Women absolutely have to act like men to be taken seriously in certain industries - there are literally whole movements and policies around stopping this being necessary!

Starbuck is the perfect example in Sci Fi as she is a fighter jock - very much a male dominated world - as so had to be bigger and badder than them all out together to get respect.

Conversely men for years have been told they can't be in touch with feelings or show emotion - well society is moving now such that it is celebrated to be conscious of how you feel and to be your true self.

Also you might want to edit point 6 before a mod spots it...

WarpTenLizard likes this.
  4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You sure are putting a lot of time into a show you don’t like. I think that is the biggest problem you have.

WarpTenLizard likes this.
  5. Death Ray

Death Ray Commander Red Shirt

I thought this was the universe of Star Trek, where "all that nonsense is centuries behind us".

Funny you should mention that. I watched the first 15 minutes of Another Life, which stars Katee Sackhoff. The first thing I noticed was that she was playing a Starbuck-like badass, but her husband seemed like kind of a wuss. I couldn't help wondering if that was deliberate-- sort of like with Mariner and Boimler, where they squish-up the man to make the tough woman more formidable.

The problem I had with that premise is that I don't actually think a very tough military woman would credibly be attracted to someone more feminine than her. I don't believe opposites attract in this way, and it broke my suspension of disbelief.

Certainly not in my lifetime. I was weaned on Free to Be You and Me, and the notion that men can cry is pretty well reinforced everywhere I look. People keep acting like we are still in the 1950s.

I know my rights, copper!

An Observer likes this.
  6. Death Ray

My roommate likes it, so I must endure. And my biggest problem is yours as well: Alex Kurtzman.

An Observer likes this.
  7. Death Ray

What, you didn't like the big eared space hippies? Get now, Herbert!

An Observer likes this.
  8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope. They still deal with the human condition.

Do you know how much my wife watches that I don't? Headphones, man.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    BillJ likes this.
  9. Ianburns252

Ianburns252 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fair enough on the point about them being more evolved - depends where on the spectrum you view Trek i.e. allegory for the era it is written or future idealised. I tend to look to the allegory end but this is highly subjective so each to their own and certainly in part where we differ.

Agreed that it isn't still the 50s but we may just be having a clash of cultures here - the US is far ahead of the UK in terms of therapy and that being normalised and, especially in working class cities like Liverpool it will be seen as weakness and preyed upon.

Allo Allo Allo - I meant it more tongue in cheek rather than trying to be an ersatz mod/PCSO (Petty c---- Sod Off is I believe the official term but I have heard it also means Police Community Support Officer)

10. ananta

ananta Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

She is utterly obnoxious regardless of sex. I almost didn’t get beyond the first few episodes of season one because of Mariner. Now I can tolerate her, but yeesh.

An Observer, Deledrius and Death Ray like this.
  11. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    That's actually one I like. It's too goofy not to. :lol:

fireproof78 likes this.
  12. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I think we're done here. This only goes in circles at this point. And also …

You couldn't resist, could ya? Obviously we don't hand out warnings to everyone using the “Mary Sue” buzzword, but after having repeatedly asked you to avoid this and just stick to your arguments, you kinda forced my hand by not complying. Warning for trolling. Comments to PM.

For future reference, please convey your opinions in a way that doesn't make half the board question if you're actually just there to troll them. That'll make all of our lives way easier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.