If Lon Suder had lived? (Basics Part II)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by marsh8472, Jun 13, 2018.

1. marsh8472

marsh8472 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If Lon Suder had not been shot at the end and lived, what would they done with him? He did help rescue them all from that planet afterall.

Back in confinement? Confinement but with more privileges? Put off the ship to start a new life? A full pardon?

2. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Suder was a psychopath. A pardon is out of the question. Putting him off the ship is just pawning your problem off on someone else. Continued confinement with more privileges is probably the answer. Maybe letting him participate in away missions where having a psychopath along might be helpful.

CDP likes this.
  3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Butt with logic, Lon is a high functioning Psychopath.

Similar to Ted Cruz.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Suder was an awesome character. It would have been great to see him continue on, slowly and steadily gaining the trust of the crew. He'd never be a bridge officer but he was genuinely trying to contribute and better himself. He and Seven could have some interesting conversations about coming to terms with the things they've done.

It reeked of "wrap everything up neatly and leave no complicated loose ends" the way they offed him.

5. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

He would've remained in confinement. His moment to impress Janeway before the Kazon took over was a sad disaster.

I think he died showing his best.

6. Guy Gardener

He murdered 7 Kazon in the last four seconds of his life.

They wanted a psychopath, and did not give a shit about his growth or redemption arc.

The Doctor damned him, and flushed every ounce of character that Suder had built over the last year.

What a pack of assholes.

7. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe through that trial, Sudor learned the difference between good killin' and bad killin'.

8. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

In the end he seemes remorseful. His meld with Tuvok and therapy seemed to be working. If he had not been killed he likely would have remained confined to quarters for a while then i could see limited duty with a security guard

9. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The actor was fantastic. I'm just not sure what they'd do with him. I thought it was fitting. The lack of show down with Seska was the disappointing part. She died but baby survived under the protection of that fabulous ready room ;)

10. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

I've recall reading that the baby story line was introduced because the actress was pregnant. I always wondered what happened to that kid

11. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Martha was pregnant, correct. I wonder too :D

12. Kirk the Jerk

Kirk the Jerk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really liked him, he had hidden demons and I think we could've gotten a lot more of him than we did. I think he would've remained in confinement just because of the severity of his crime, I think he'd have continued his genetic manipulations in his little aeroponics bay/room. I suppose he got a fitting end though and it was what he deserved. Brad is a good actor and I remember him being particularly good in Alien Resurrection.

13. Guy Gardener

Kathy had her mind made up.

She did not believe that making orchids was payback enough for killing some random dude randomly. Maybe this dead person, Frank Darwin, was who Janeway was sport banging to take the edge off? That could explain why she had such a hard on for punishment over rehabilitation?

One of the equinox 5, Brian Soffin, was a security guard in the episode Repentance, where the psycho killer prisoner had his personality fixed with Surgery, but no one cared.

14. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seven of Nine was on her way, so I'm confident that Suder would've just been sequestered back into confinement and simply allowed to be forgotten about ...

Catarina likes this.
  15. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He would remain confined and eventually fall in love with the guard posted outside his room - romance episode

Guy Gardener likes this.
  16. Guy Gardener

Worse.

If Suder had lived, Berman owed us another Ponn farr episode.

I'm assuming his cycle would be synced with Tuvok.

Jedman67 likes this.
  17. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

I think so... he took a deep breath and felt the pain of knowing killing was wrong but that he had to do it.

18. Guy Gardener

If the 24th century was fair, for his heroism that day, there would have been a holiday named in Lon Suders honour.

19. Sad Kelpian Child

Sad Kelpian Child Admiral Admiral

He would have remained confined but with more and more privileges and maybe eventually doing helpful work.

It's an interesting ethical question, if you could cure psychopathy, would then psychopaths not be responsible for the actions they took before being cured, if the psychopathy was the result of a neurological illness? But then, psychopaths would think they could kill whoever they want and get away just by being cured, and there's plenty of psychopaths out there who aren't violent and haven't killed anyone. They'd have to still be responsible, but maybe it'd be a factor to consider in sentencing.

If Suder was truly cured by the mindmeld, they'd still never let him out of his quarters, but if he wished to contribute, he'd have been allowed to.

20. Tracy Trek

Tracy Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Didn't he want to use his work with the orchids as a basis for trying to come up with a way to grow more food in the aeroponics bay?