If Doctor Who was an American show from the beginning

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by sttngfan1701d, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

For me it is more of an issue of what kind of roles Goldblum was known for at that time. Neurotics, intellectuals, new money yuppy types, etc. There was nothing especially adventurous, exciting or 'romantic' about him, and his leading man days were all but over.

In '85 perhaps, but not '95.

I don't really see much comparison between Baker and McGann to base your argument on. McGann's Doctor in the TV movie was basically what an American imagines Doctor Who to be if they have never seen an episode. The uninformed imagination jumps straight to H.G. Wells, and McGann is very much in the vein of that.

I'm also very aware that this thread is one of the more pathetically geeky moments of my life.

2. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

Would who has lasted 50 years as an American show,it would have bad ratings somewhere and just like the original series got canned because of the ratings.

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, and then The British tried to revive it in 1996, and it sat dormant until Joss Whedon brought it back as NuWho in 2005 ;)

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ So Boreanaz as 9 for a year before moving on to Bones, Fillion as 10, maybe Fran Kranz as 11. :)

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I'd be OK with that, though, with the resemblance, I think it would be a crime not to use Fran Kranz as Rory instead. Maybe we could use Enver Gjokaj as Eleven instead (He does a mean Fran Kranz impression) :bolian:

6. Mr. Adventure

OK, I definitely can picture Rory.

7. Venardhi

Boreanaz would play the big bad of the first "nu" season, and Fillion would play the Master to NPH's 10. After that we have to assume he hands off the reigns to someone like Bryan Fuller, in which case alt-11 is probably Lee Pace(who would also make an excellent alt-10).

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

With that in mind, I think in this scenario that the Eighth Doctor should basically be what a Brit would imagine an American Doctor Who to be if they'd never seen an episode. Perhaps in this universe the Eighth Doctor's one-off TV movie was co-financed by the BBC and set in London.

9. Venardhi

That seems reasonable. But now we're getting into imaginary perspectives in alternate timelines. It is madness! MADNESS I SAY!

10. Mr. Adventure

Kristin Chenowith as River?

11. Venardhi

Christina Hendricks. Introduced under Whedon's tenure, mind you.

12. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Possible, or as I said above on the previous page:

And what if it changed the TV landscape of the time? For instance, Star Trek was created in 1966 to compete with Doctor Who in the ratings, and they both became sort of a long-running "Gunsmoke"-type of thing, competing against each other and keeping each show alive for decades? Then Kirk and crew handed the reins over to TNG, and Trek flourished while Doctor Who floundered in the late 80's......

13. Roddenberry

Roddenberry Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't know why, but I'd love to see a Giovanni Ribisi version of The Master.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to admit, an American version of the show would be very interesting to see.

I'm guessing if it was created back in the 60s it would have been more of a straightforward, Time Tunnel-style adventure show though. With lots of corny humor and the typical, dashing male lead.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

In this universe Star Trek is a BBC program.

16. Flibble

Flibble Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Some interesting ideas. Maybe I would go for Edward Mulhare as Doctor No 3 and Martthew Gray Gubler as Doctor 11.

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Gene is the only one I can see as the doctor. Vincent was going to be in Dr. Who and the Scratchman

18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Bingo

Now imagine Karl Pilkington (sporting a fez) coming out of that with Ricky and Steven poking their heads out around the back and laughing.

Adric comes running up (alive somehow) and says.

Doctor..pant pant...the Daleks, Cybermen and Sontarans have all joined forces to attack the Earth! What ever shall we do?

Karl--as the Doctor: "I'm not bothered."

And really, Warwick should have replaced the teenager in Two and a Half Men.

19. Mr. Adventure

^ I know people are probably tired of him but I'd love to see a Karl Pilkington Doctor. I'm already imagining some of the comments he'd make in his travels through the Whoverse. He'd have to have a TARDIS where he couldn't control the destination and be forced to have a go of wherever it landed.

20. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

You guys. Now every time I see a toilet put up at a weird place for a toilet, e.g. because there's a construction site, I am going to think the American Doctor Who came to visit.