IDW Editor Talks 2009 Plans

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Allyn Gibson, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Barbara Hambly's Crossroad takes place very close to the end of the mission-- Christine Chapel puts in for the assignment she wants when the mission is over at the end of the novel-- but doesn't quite take us all the way there.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^^I think there are a number of "near the end of the 5YM" stories, though I don't have their names at my beck and call. Isn't there one in one of the TokyoPop Trek mangas?

3. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can The Lost Years fit with the Pelosian mission as told in Ex Machina and hopefully this upcoming comic?

4. Christopher

I doubt any of them will be able to fit together. I know TLY and ExM don't fit, and I'd be very surprised if the comics followed ExM's lead. They appear to be charting their own course, as is their right.

5. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

:bolian:
    Am I the only person who's having a ball with the IDW comics? There was a cool "Year Four" series written by Dorothy Fontana and drawn by Gordon Purcell, who appears to finally be expanding from copying stills of the cast.:bolian:

I haven't been wild about the TNG runs, but The Last Generation series going on now reminds me of "Yesterday's Enterprise," which established the NOP principle, which means that every time Jean-Luc does something exciting, it's by a Not Our Picard.:vulcan:

I like what they're doing with Trek, and John Byrne has produced some interesting stories as well. I guess there's always the hope that Trek comics will be terrific in the year to come.:klingon:

6. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not finding the comics as consistently successful as the novels manage to be, but I'm enjoying most. There's still not been many up to the standard of the early Klingons: Blood Will Tell series and some of the Alien Spotlights. The only things I'd consider equal to those so far are John Byrne's comics; Assignment: Earth and Romulans: The Hollow Crown were both fantastic.

The Last Generation seems to be off to a solid start, and I have great faith in Andrew Steven Harris following his amazing Borg Alien Spotlight.

I suppose considering four out of the ten completed series amazing, and the rest pretty damn good isn't a bad success rate for them!

7. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

I believe the Crucible trilogy had its own end to the 5YM, too.

8. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

D'OH!!

I suppose this means that an omnibus of adaptations of the Trek Classic films will be coming out in the late summer/early fall timeframe.

Still no announcement of a comics adaptation of the new movie... unless I missed that, too!

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Funny, A few weeks back I was going through my Trek movie adaptations and wondering if one of TWOK would ever be done!

I would love to see adaptations of Greg Cox's Khan books.

EDIT

I did some searching and I found character sketches for the TWOK adaptation on the artist's Blog. http://chubbychee.livejournal.com/

http://th02.deviantart.com/fs39/300W/f/2008/351/3/6/Star_Trek_II__Wrath_of_Khan_by_chubbychee.jpg

http://th01.deviantart.com/fs38/300W/f/2008/351/f/2/Wrath_of_Khan_Bones_by_chubbychee.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2008
  10. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

Donald Draper, since you're obviously not the artist, you're not allowed to hotlink to images on their site per board rules. Please don't do it again.

11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Why is Bones holding a Sonic Screwdriver? :)

12. Allyn Gibson

Except for the Star Trek: Generations adaptation, in which some panels looked exactly like publicity stills, I've never found Purcell's artwork to be that close to copying. I mean, he's no Greg Land. :)

13. Christopher

Ohh, Purcell's done some copying. There are two Purcell-illustrated TNG comics featuring Ben the Ten Forward waiter from "Lower Decks," and in both of them, the exact same pose of Ben is used. (I think one of them is the GEN adaptation.)

Of course, he's not the only one. I seem to recall a couple of Gray Morrow-illustrated TOS comics that trace a shot of McCoy from ST III tapping his forehead and smiling (from the end of the movie, I think). And of course TNG artist Deryl Skelton's art often seemed to be largely a collage of photocopied stills.

14. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

For that matter, Carlos Mota's art on Enter the Wolves was a mishmash of publicity shots (including using shots of both Gul Madred and Gul Dukat as the basis for the same Cardassian....).

15. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

Has there been any firm release/street dates mentioned for any of these titles?

I've preordered Countdown, but there still isn't a date given when the first issue is to be released in January.

Did I miss something somewhere?

*Amazon.com gives a date of April 29th 2009, but I figure that's for the final issue.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  16. Allyn Gibson

Crew and Mission's End begin in March. Star Trek II is June/July.

17. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

That's actually for the TPB collection of all the issues, which just happens to be coming out at the same time the final issue hits the stands. They're probably doing it just to have more movie related stuff in bookstores ahead of the release of the movie.

18. MichaelS

MichaelS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One of the Cardassians also looked suspiciously like Sylvester Stallone. :wtf:

19. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I will be onboard for all of these! glad to see Alien spotlight 2 finally coming out, looking forward to the Klingon issue written by KRAD. Hopefully another New Frontier series will be forthcoming

20. Allyn Gibson

The new issue of Wizard at work today, and there was a page article about IDW's Trek plans. In addition to the stuff mentioned in the linked article here, the article in Wizard said that IDW will not be doing a comics adaptation of the new film.