I'd rather watch Jon and Trip make out next year

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Dorian Thompson, May 17, 2003.

1. emily_reich

emily_reich Commodore Commodore

here, here!!

how can trip and tpol have chemistry anymore when they have NO SCENES together... and when tpol is ALWAYS with archer now...

still... trip and tpol had more chemistry in ANIS than archer and tpol did!!! and they were in ONE scene together :D

agreed... but, sadly, i doubt this wil ever happen :(

2. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Glad to see I didn't squick you out with my thread, WS. :p They have more chemistry period. They really do. We were supposed to be enthralled with Archer and T'Pol being tied together in "Shadows of P'Jem" but somehow I found Trip and Archer eating breakfast together--and Archer pulling Trip's leg about the shipyards--far more endearing. There's hoyay to be seen with Trip and Archer no doubt, but they are so believable as friends and such a treat to watch. SB and CT just click. You believe they care about each other so much that they could forgive the pain each caused the other in "Cogenitor." I hope someone on staff is bright enough to take advantage of that phenomenal chemistry when Trip goes temporarily revenge happy next season. If TPTB don't take advantage of Archer and Tucker's heartfelt friendship and have Archer sniffing around T'Pol the entire time that his friend is on the edge, every writer on staff deserves to get canned.

Ahhhhhh, the Trip/T'Pol chemistry. I've moved on from that ship but I remember how incredible the two characters were when they were actually allowed to interact in season one. Somebody in a suit made a conscious decision to torpedo their shared screen time this season because they wanted to push Archer/T'Pol. You'll never convince me otherwise.

3. emily_reich

i dunno.. personally i think that if they had archer sniffing around tpol the entire time, they would deserve to get canned anyway whether trip was on the edge or not :evil: :evil:

wait... what was that?? he already does?? oh damn... :p

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree that T'Pol and Archer have the sex appeal of oatmeal mush, but as another hetero female, I'd prefer Trip & Reed to Archer & Trip (or even Archer & Reed, but that's another story entirely).

As for why Archer and T'Pol lack chemistry when, say, Crichton and Aeryn had more chemistry than the Dupont Corporation, well it's an interesting question, isn't it? Part of it is just the luck of the draw with the actors. But I think another part is just how false T'Pol's sexuality really is.

Think about it: T'Pol dresses like a whore. Okay, I'm not complaining about that. Chiana on Farscape dressed like a whore, too. Guess what? She WAS a whore! She was trying to advertise her sexual availability. This was simply part of her character (just one part; she was more complex than that). Her clothing was consistent with her character.

T'Pol, however, cannot possible not know she is dressing like a whore, unless she is either completely stupid, or contemptuous of human mores ("I know I'm dressing like a whore, but humans are morons, so I don't care"). I honestly don't think she's supposed to be written as an idiot or a total, contemptuous bitch, so I must conclude that the portrayal of her character is simply hypocritical.

Chiana was an honest whore, who had good chemistry, sexual and otherwise, with the other Farscape crew. T'Pol is a false character. Hypocrisy is not sexy. That's what's destroying T'Pol's chemistry with any of the other characters.

The writers should either decide she's gonna be the ship's slut, and dress accordingly, or give her clothing consistent with her character.

Anna Yolei likes this.
  5. Dorian Thompson

Fascinating points, Temis, especially about the Aeryn character and T'Pol's conspicuous "professional" clothing adversely affected her appeal as a character.

I go on about Trip and Archer, but Trip and Reed have their good points as well. :evil: Another delightful pairing to be sure. :D

6. emily_reich

actually i would argue that it is the bad writing for archer and bakula's bad acting that make him have NO chemistry with, for the most part, ANYONE... in fact, the only reason i think he has such good chemistry with CT is that CT has enough chemistry for both of them... (or maybe he just rubs off of him...) well, either way, it's certainly not bakula who has chemistry with EVERYTHING he's on screen with ;)

but i do agree that tpol could use a different outfit, but not because it goes against her character, because i think tpol is supposed to be kinda a vulcan half-rebel... she tells teh humans that she's a good little vulcan, but she tells teh vulcans that she prefers being around humans.... so i think her character is acually written to be in conflict with her place in teh universe... does she go with her people that she doesn't always agree with and not even TRY to make peace with the humans or does she go with the humans and try to prove to her own people that it is BETTER to work in peace with humans becuase she can??

i think she chose the humans because she wants to show that she is different... even v'lar said that she has always spoken out/up about her differing views...

so i think her outfit (as much as i think she could EASILY wear something better) fits her character... she dresses differently because she tries to be different...

just a thought of course...

7. Dorian Thompson

I'm not sure you can say it's only CT's doing about his and Bakula's chemistry, Emily. That's not fair. It's a definite clicking of two actors together. There's a protectiveness that Scott brings out in Archer when he plays scenes with Trinneer. It's a lovely quality in Archer. It's part of the reason some folks got so mad at him at the end of "Cogenitor" when he was so harsh on Trip, even though he had a right to reprimand him. Fans expect that protectiveness on Archer's part, especially where Trip's concerned.

No, both actors gain a certain something when they work with each other. Trip and Archer have that Kirk/Spock warmth about them. :)

8. bandybones

bandybones Captain Captain

dorian wrote
    I agree with you and the last two eps illustrated this point.

I noticed this first last season but it has not happened much this season until now. When Trip and Jon are in a scene with others, Jon will give Trip a look. It's as though he either wants to guage Trip's reaction to what's happening or being said, share the moment with him, or that they're enjoying their own private little joke. You can tell that they know each other very well and are on the same wavelength.

At the beginning of First Flight and both at the beginning and end of Bounty were bridge scenes involving Trip, Archer and other people. Just watch the two very closely. You'll see what I mean.

9. Dorian Thompson

I have noticed "the look." :) It's one of the little things the two characters do that's so appealing. I don't notice much of a look between Jon and T'Pol except when they're put off with each other. It's an affectionate thing that Trip and Jon seem to do. Of course affection can be interpreted in many different contexts :evil: but it's appealing in any one of them.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ah, I can always trust you, Dorian, to remind us of what's really important on Enterprise! :D

As you know, I sail no ships, but damn! I watched "Bounty" again tonight (yeah, I know - I'm a masochist) and Trip and Archer in the beginning scene? Flirting. That's all there is to it. Those two teases... :lol:

Seriously, their good friends Connor and Scott really do have chemistry. I get a real Kirk/Spock or Bashir/O'Brien vibe off of the two of them. If TPTB had any functioning brain cells left, they'd play to that, as opposed to shoving the tepid Archer/T'Pol stuff down the collective throat of the audience. And I don't know about anyone else, but I have a very strong gag reflex when it comes to that sort of thing.

Part of the problem with the Archer/T'Pol pairing is that we haven't seen the growth that would make such a relationship believeable. Oh, we're told, over and over again, that she trusts him and he trusts her, blah blah relationshipcakes, but we've never really seen it in action. That's why a pairing seems to come out of left field, much in the way the Chakotay/7 pairing in Voyager felt forced. (I rarely, if ever, watched Voyager, but I did watch the series finale, and I was all, WTF?? at the Chakotay/7 relationship. Should have been Janeway/7 IMO, but that's a whole 'nother rant.)

A final note: you think that perhaps the protectiveness that Dorian mentioned upthread is the reason Archer keeps leaving Trip behind when he goes anywhere that looks to be somewhat iffy, safety-wise?

Personally, I'm sure Archer is still scared to death over the fact that he nearly killed Trip in "Desert Crossing".

It would be fun to explore that sometime; maybe Trip will start to rebel against that protectiveness? Thoughts, anyone?

11. Imzadi13

Imzadi13 Commodore Commodore

Always up for some more angst and tension. :)

12. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, like Pippin, I watched the rebroadcast tonight and you're right, I don't know how I missed it. There was definitely a vibe there. ;)

Not yet. I have it on good authority that Ethan's only going to be around a short while longer (Fab Filippo was only signed for eight episodes; I'm not sure what episode you're up to in the States, but I think we've only seen six so far, and IIRC, he wasn't in one of them). Whether or not Justin and Brian get back together, I haven't heard; I've been avoiding the Showcase website because of the high spoiler content from American posters. (That's right, I said "Showcase" - that's the Canadian cable channel that co-produces and carries the show.)

Mmmmmmmmmm.... male shoulders slathering up... oh, sorry, were you saying something? :p

I agree with you about the vanilla pudding (though I'd use the phrase "blander than my mother's mashed potatoes, myself). Did you notice a trace of a smile lurking around Malcolm's face when T'Pol was coming on to him? He definitely wanted her... but he was raised to be a gentleman.

13. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey, Dorian, I have a deal for you: I will pledge to actively support Archer and Trip playing hide-the-salami, if you will in turn advocate T'Pol and Hoshi steaming each other's carpets on a regular basis. Then we've got the long-overdue gays in Star Trek, you're turned on, I'm turned on, and everybody's happy (or everybody who deserves to be, anyway). [​IMG]

14. Dorian Thompson

Realist, stop teasing me you luscious hunk of hornball. And with my husband away training for his new job, too. Actually, I could live with T'Pol and Hoshi's hand massage meditation carpet steaming sessions if Archer and Trip went all Justin and Brian on me. I'm a fair and equitable person. Damn, those two have shoulders like Greek gods. Was that me insisting that Archer and Trip didn't have any HoYay all this time???? No, they have hoyay. Just throw Reed into decon with them to mix and match and season to taste. :evil:

Man, that smiley face of yours is vulgar, Realist. Where did you find that thing? :eek: :eek: :eek: It's charming, but evil.

Toronto Trekker, you see? Of course they were flirting with each other. There's as much sexual energy coming off Tucker and Archer at the beginning of Bounty as there was off of Garak and Bashir in DS9. :D Justin and Brian are still apart? I'm sick of that little Ethan. He needs to shave that caterpillar underneath his lower lip. :mad:

Pippin, good to see you. :)

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Good to see you, too, honey. You, too, Toronto Trekker. I've had the migraine from hell the last few days; I'm astonished I'm still standing. Or, sitting upright, at any rate.

Man, I am going to have to start watching "Queer as Folk", just so I know what y'all are on about.

Nothing much to add about Our Boys, 'cept I got inspired (if that's the word) to try a wee fanfic (give myself a break from the serious scripty stuff). No slash, but golly, male bonding is fun to write about!

16. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

Hmm well Trip will try and talk his way around it but so far no open rebellion..

IN Fight or flight Trip tried really hard to talk his way into the away mission but Jon wouldnt have it..

What was interesting in First Flight I think this is the first time Jon has been honest about why he is wanting to leave him behind..
    Jon says out right it wouldnt be safe.

Usually he has some other partly true reason ready.

17. tripsyatlady

tripsyatlady Commodore Commodore

Aw....hell yes. I'd rather watch any combination except Archer and T'Pol. They just don't have that certain IT factor....that chemistry going on.

Archer and Trip......Trip and Mal......Trip and T'Pol....any of those would work to me. Or for those adventurous times.....Archer/Trip/Mal.

Did anyone see that Kilborn tape with Bakula? He was saying his character got "bupkis" (or however you spell that) in the romance dept. He also laughed when Kilborn mentioned maybe his character going for some "guys". I got the impression Bakula was in the "anything's possible" frame of mind (but maybe that's just me reading something that wasn't there)

Tripsy

18. Guest

Guest Guest

After reading this I've been imagining Archer and Trip in a decon scene. :evil:

19. emily_reich

ah man.. and i MISSED that... damn ;)

20. Archer4Trip

Archer4Trip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: I'd rather watch Jon and Trip make out next ye

Oh GOOD LORD, how did I miss this thread for so long????

Dorian, I award you the "A4T Medal of Honor" for meritorious service above and beyond the call of duty by a layperson or recent convert to A*T.

Also, I award myself the "Conversion to A*T Shipping" Merit Badge - thanks to all of you for helping me with that one. :D

Yes, they are hot: beyond hot when they are together. Yes, they have chemistry - even when they are in danger, at lunch, next to the warp engine, or in sickbay. Yes, that was a great polo date. Yes, they have a "look" they exchange frequently. Yes, friends forever. Yes, yes, yes. Maybe I should plug my website again, where I've been saying this for months and months now. :cool: http://a4t.houseoftucker.com

MMMMMM Just LOOK at them!

[​IMG]