I hope the Picard series is good

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Dave Scarpa, May 25, 2019.

1. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Commodore

'Pardon my French' is a traditional apology for swearing among English-Canadians. Since he's been living on the farm I hope Jean-Luc as boned up on his expletives.

2. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

It won Emmy awards for sound, hairstyling, costume design, visual effects and makeup.

Laudable achievements to be sure, but nothing to do with the show’s writing.

Greg Cox, Amasov, serabine and 3 others like this.
  3. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Commodore

It wasn't.

fireproof78 likes this.
  4. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Discovery has also been nominated for Emmys. Your point?

Greg Cox and F. King Daniel like this.
  5. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

I couldn't possibly agree more with this. I've been well and truly over both of them for ages. No more, please. Ever.

Agree with this, too. I swear too much myself to find it offensive or anything, but gratuitous swearing / swearing for the sake of it ("Wow, we can say fuck now. Let's do it all the time!!") is generally stupid and pointless, and sorta childish as well. There's rarely any genuine need for it. JMHO, of course.

Dukhat, fireproof78 and KimMH like this.
  6. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But the Klingons have been -- and still are -- one of the major powers in the quadrant. They are also as synonymous to Trek as is Spock. There's really no way to shut them out completely without it being a glaring omission.

7. SJGardner

SJGardner Commodore Commodore

Especially if the Romulans are involved. The two are neighbors and mortal enemies, and if the backstory involves a Romulan collapse, the Klingons are bound to exploit the situation. The story doesn't have to focus on them, but they'll at least have to be mentioned.

8. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I want Worf cameo, and no one else. And if Worf is done in Discovery style, I'm coming here right away to see the forum explode :D

KennyB and F. King Daniel like this.
  9. ITDUDE

More of this, please. It's Star Trek in 21st (or is it 25th?) century!

SJGardner likes this.
  10. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

That would be awesome, but he looks the same again.......then they see a pic of L'Rell and he repeats the line from DS9......."I told you we don't discuss it with outsiders!" then winks directly into the camera.

Greg Cox, Lord Garth, jaime and 2 others like this.
  11. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

For me, there is a big difference between mentioning and appearing. I will clarify and state that I do not want Klingons to be appearing or their politics to be a major part of Picard's story. TNG Klingon episodes were among the ones that I just couldn't get through.

Orac Zen and SJGardner like this.
  12. zar

zar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

13. SJGardner

I wouldn't have a problem with some Klingon background characters or at most a few bit parts, but I'd definitely draw the line at episodes focusing on them. I wouldn't want anything resembling TNG's Klingon episodes on the show either.

fireproof78 likes this.
  14. ITDUDE

:guffaw:

15. SJGardner

To quote JLP himself at the end: "YOU GLORIOUS S.O.B.-S!"

16. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

I'm not expecting TNG: 20 Years Later but I have very high hopes for this series. And yes, I'm lukewarm to Discovery.

For the last 15 years we've been getting TOS prequels so it's good to finally go post-Nemesis

Picard is the figurehead of 24th Century Trek and to pursuade Sir Patrick to reprise him is a very big deal. I can't wait to catch up with the old man!

Make it so

jaime likes this.
  17. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Honestly, I'd give CBS all the money they want if I could see Picard do this at the wine vineyard.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  18. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

This.

Klingons are obviously a significant part of Trek lore and they probably can't be eliminated entirely, any more than the damned Daleks could be eliminated from future Doctor Who (much as I'd like to see that happen). I could live with a Worf appearance, but I see no need for them to play any significant role whatever in this series. Focus on another lot of aliens for a change. And if I never hear the phrase "It is a good day to die!" ever again it will be far too soon.

fireproof78 likes this.
  19. zar

zar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really? I think it's etched in our minds because it was said in very well-known and popular Worf/Klingon episodes - Sins of the Father, Way of the Warrior and Blood Oath - and in one of the most memorable scenes in a very popular movie - not because it was overused. Other appearances of it have been few and far between and I think it's always been employed appropriately.

20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same here. It started out as part of a cultural background and ended up a farce, especially in "Blood Oath" and in First Contact. It started to feel highly forced and very jarring for me in terms of immersion. It became a catch phrase.

Orac Zen likes this.