I hope the Picard series is good

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Dave Scarpa, May 25, 2019.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Commander Red Shirt

because so far the writers responsible for Discovery haven’t come close to anything TNG.

I watched tonight a marathon of the end of season 4’s Redemption two parter and Darmok and Ensign Ro. When you watch vintage TNG you really see how shallow Discovery was. Klingon’s culture really defined itself in that arc, Darmok was a fantastic alien episode, and Ensign Ro, with fantastic performances from Michelle Forbes and Patrick Stewart confront possibly a Section 31 scenario. A fantastic start to season 5 one of my favorite seasons of Star Trek

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  2. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

So far, all the Picard series threads are in The Future of Trek forum so I'm moving this over there.
    Whooooosh!

3. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

If you expect TNG 2.0 I guarantee you will be disappointed. They have explicitly said they are not doing that.

M-Red, BillJ, Qonundrum and 4 others like this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It won't be TNG. That isn't the point of this show.

serabine likes this.
  5. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Good or bad, I’m watching it.

6. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a feeling your not going to get the show you think you're getting. It's been stated in a few interviews, it isn't going to be anything like TNG. In my opinion that is a good thing. TNG is largely dull as dishwater on rewatches.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    KimMH, Vger23, fireproof78 and 4 others like this.
  7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

While it had some solid gold episodes like "Yesterday's Enterprise" and "Measure of a Man", there was a lot of garbage or dullness inbetween, like "Angel One", "The Masterpriece Society", "Outrageous Okuna", "Sub Rosa", etc etc.

I'd say the Disco writers have smashed it as far as consistency is concerned, and turned out some solid gold at the same time. Picard isn't going to be a return to TNG-style storytelling. That's what The Orville is for. Picard is gonna take the fomer captain on an emotional last adventure, which is something they've shown themselves more than capable of after Disco season 2.

8. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I’d take an average Discovery episode over an average TNG episode any day. So much of TNG is bland, formulaic and forgettable with unlikable characters. I tried a series re-watch recently and wound up skipping more than half.

Thankfully, Picard is one of the few characters I really liked from that show, so having him in a new environment with a different set of writers is very welcome.

9. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I feel the same - I watched TNG on first run and tried to re-watch it recently - most of it I also skipped straight over.

KimMH, Relayer1 and Agony_Boothb like this.
  10. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I don't dislike any of the characters from TNG but, otherwise, this sums up what I think. Picard under different circumstances, at a different point in his life, in a different series with different production values is the draw.

Greg Cox, Alwaystrekkin and Ovation like this.
  11. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

The magic of TNG won't be duplicated just because Patrick Stewart is reprising his role as Picard. I doubt this will be the 8th season of TNG.

12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I hope Picard is as good as Discovery. I'm not optimistic but hope I'm wrong.

TNG ? Patchy and great at it's best, but it was of it's time and wouldn't really cut it now - like The Orville.

Good.

donners22 likes this.
  13. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope the show isn't good. I hope the show is great!! But it will most likely just be good. Which would be great because we need more good Sci-Fi on tv.

Jason

KimMH likes this.
  14. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I certainly hope it won’t be.

15. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

16. fireproof78

Same. I cannot get through TNG any more.

Relayer1 likes this.
  17. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I'm liking Discovery. But I really think they made a huge mistake with the entire concept of it having such grandoise ideas. Imagine DS9 had started with the Dominion War instead of it being built towards? It just seems like everything on Discovery is leading towards something really important to the entire galaxy or universe all the time. I don't hate Discovery by any stretch, but honestly? I'm still working my way through Season 2 and it has never grabbed me to just watch episode after episode. Better than Voyager certainly, but still.....it doesn't "feel right" a lot of the time.

The Picard teaser though? Something just "felt right".

18. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

The question is: will Picard be dropping the "F" bomb? :eek: Many folks seem liberated to let loose with obscenities as they get older.

Qonundrum likes this.
  19. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gramps will be cutting fowl every other word.
    As long as it isn't Discovery 2.0.

Qonundrum likes this.
  20. fireproof78

It won't be that.

More's the pity.

PiotrB likes this.