I find 'A New Hope' hard to watch nowadays

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by ED-209, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Pity that the SE version of the scene suuuucks. And that the Greedo dialogue which had been altered to help fill the deletion of the Jabba scene stayed altered, which makes the Jabba scene extremely redundant.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There must be or they probably would have released it about 3 or 4 times by now. There's nothing Disney loves more than releasing the same movie a million different times in different editions.

3. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

To be fair, because of the ANH rights, they could have been waiting for the Fox sale to be completed. A 4K saga set of some variety is rumored for release alongside TRoS.

However, the new covered blu-ray single releases do not necessarily back that up.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That could be it. Wasn't there still some stuff related to A New Hope that was still tied to Fox?

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The first movie belonged to Fox completely. Which is now moot. :)

Campe likes this.
  6. nutshell

nutshell Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You’re right. You’re unpopular now. Lol

ED-209 and KennyB like this.
  7. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

That was "Space Mutiny" a terrible film, but salvageable via MST3K treatment.

N-121973 and Galileo7 like this.
  8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Galileo7, trynda1701 and KennyB like this.
  9. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

What you feel about ANH is what I feel about the prequels.

Galileo7 likes this.
  10. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I feel that Star Wars holds up as well as anything that's 40 years old. If you can watch The Wizard of Oz (or The Wrath of Khan) you can watch Star Wars. It's certainly a picture of it's time, although it's a leap forward. (You can't watch Star Wars? Taken a look at Logan's Run lately?) I suppose if you can only watch break neck paced movies, well, there's a remake of Midway that you might be interested in.

As for The Real Movie: I will lose hope the day that Disney does their own Blu Ray (4K, whatever) and it's only the Special Edition. But it's been seven years and they haven't done that. As someone said, perhaps waiting on merging with Fox? Or maybe with Disney + launching with all of the Saga Films it's a moot point. But I kinda doubt it.

11. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I've got mixed to negative feelings about that Jabba scene. When I first saw it in '97, I was like, oh cool a new scene (and who doesn't like a bit of Jabba), but when I watch ANH now it ruins the build up to the introduction of the falcon, and the overall pacing of that part of the film too, to say nothing of the repetition of lines from the Greedo scene, or the fact that the score when Luke says 'what a piece of junk' is still trying to convey that it's the first time we've seen this ship.

I like it in isolation, and at least they've improved the CGI to something approaching an acceptable level (the '97 version is frankly embarrasing), but it sits awkwardly in the film for me now and I'd happily watch a version of ANH without it these days.

Tallguy likes this.
  12. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

It may be a tad dated but it’s not like it’s the Last Jedi. That one just makes me angry. :)

13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I have Harmy's version on blue ray. maybe dated, but only in the best ways, as it has charm to make up for the flaws

Smellmet likes this.
  14. Campe

Which fan cut is the one that they added all of the stuff to? They basically added more SE crap to it? The one where they decided to cast themselves (I believe) as the Emperor in TESB?

15. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

idk.. Harmy's is the one that they laboriously tried to restore the theatrical originals for hi-def

Campe likes this.
  16. Campe

Yeah, I have that one. Only watched it once but it is amazing.

17. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you're talking Adywan's, he takes McDiarmid from Jedi so it actually looks like the same person. (I HATE the Revenge of the Sith Emperor makeup.)

He adds a ton of stuff (and gets super obsessive about flopping shots and adding in appropriate backgrounds so they actually match continuity which most people didn't notice in the first place which is why Marcia did it) but he does it by either shoot new model shots (in ESB) or by expanding on original shots. I don't like it as much as the originals but I like them way better than the Special Editions.

18. Campe

That's the one. Never watched the whole thing but his take on the Battle of Yavin annoyed the crap out of me. And for some odd reason Palps didn't look like the ROTJ version to me either. And yes, the ROTS Palps makeup is a little strange.

19. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't watch it to much lately.. but thats because I have seen it 500 times Plus in my life, so I guess a bit of burn out sometimes :)
    Now Attack of the Clones.. Ugh..

Smellmet likes this.
  20. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I put ANH in a select few films that I think I'm impossible to burn out to alongside the first two Indy films, TWOK, Aliens, the first two Superman films among a few others.

trynda1701 likes this.