I Don't Like Star Wars!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Taylirious, Sep 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I used to love Star Wars when I was a kid. LOVED. IT.
    Then, as an adult, I saw Phantom Menace. *sigh*
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJlgpozN31s[/yt]

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I had a similar thought as well, but unlike sports fans, fans of TV shows/films etc.. don't tend to go riot. Yeah I know they are the rare cases.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have enjoyed Star Wars since I was 8, and I saw return of the Jedi. Then Empire and finally a New Hope. I enjoyed the Prequels well enough as an experience, but they fail under repeat viewings.

I will freely admit that Star Wars oversaturates the market, especially right now, and has pretty much since I was 12. It drives my wife crazy to see all the Star Wars references that popped up all over the place. So, I don't fault people for feeling like Star Wars has overstayed its welcome.

Honestly, I'm of two mines on the merchandising and marketing. On the one hand, it is overblown to the point that I got sick of seeing magazine articles reviewing the same old teaser footage. On the other hand, there is a part of me that thinks "This will be fun and something to go out and have a good time with."

I would never demand anyone like Star Wars at all. It isn't for everyone and the characters certainly can be hit or miss. For me, Star Wars is as much about the fun and excitement and this wild universe that looks like fun to me.

Other people are in things like zombies, Game of Thrones, and anime (among the various interests out there). I don't care for any of them.

And, you know what? That's ok :)

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Wished somebody had rioted when Nemesis or AOTC/TPM came out. There is just no sense of collective mass action in the fan community.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Wars is my second favorite SFF universe after Trek. I love the mythology and characters. I am aware that the characters are pretty much just archetypes, but they are still a lot of fun.
    That for me is the biggest thing about Star Wars stories, they are just fun, exciting sci-fi/fantasy stories. I know it's not perfect, but nothing is.

6. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The first SW movie I saw was The Phantom Menace, in threatres. I really liked it. I even made my mom buy the VHS. As a teenager I tried watching the original and Attack Of The Clones but I was unsuccessful. I don't think SW is bad or stupid, it's just not my thing.

However I will never understand the whole Trek/Wars rivalry thing. It's very immature to hate on something just because you don't like it. Can't we all just get along?

7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Oh, this thread isn't a Queen reference? I am disappoint. ;)

It didn't start out that way. Be fair to Tay, they were just asking a perfectly valid question :)

Then this happened:
    So you sit quietly in your basement and watch Star Trek instead?

Truly, you are a beacon to follow in the darkness.

Kinda like a lightsaber.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Star Wars is popular despite itself. Even among Star Wars fans, there seems to be a general consensus that only 2-3 of the 6 movies are any good.

ANH: Good
    ESB: Awesome
    ROTJ: Really depends on how you feel about Ewoks

Entire PT: Seriously, does anybody like these?

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I was a huge huge fan. I saw it 13 times at the cinema. It shaped my love of science fiction, films and novels. I was never interested in the toys, but I collected the soundtracks, books and videos. When the Expanded Universe kicked off with Zahns novels I lapped them up.

Things went on, there were more and more books, becoming rather patchy in quality. The Phantom Menace came out. The films weren't exactly great and the books got worse and worse - by the middle of the Vong invasion I had stopped reading. The Clone Wars animated show came out and I watched. After a couple of seasons I quit. The unending stream of crud had destroyed it for me.

I admit, the first trailers for SW7 gave me a brief 'Cool, X-Wings !' moment, but it passed. A few months out from the films release I realise that I really dont care. I hope it's great and reignites my interest, but I have a feeling that it won't.

I'm done...

10. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the PT fanedits. They are actually better than ROTJ. Though they generally have more the feel of the serials that Lucas was going for. ANH/ESB are more in-depth.

11. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Jonathan Hales contributed to Attack of the Clones and Tom Stoppard did a polish to Revenge of the Sith, and they were still shitty.

12. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

I never used to like it either. I was in my late teens, almost 20s before I finally did enjoy it. What got me into it (finally) was playing the Jedi Knights video games. Somehow, that finally gave it all some depth that I hadn't seen before. I played the games purely as a gamer, just enjoying an FPS and what not. And in doing so, somehow that story resonated enough with me to try the original films again. Finally, it stuck and I enjoyed them.

That said, I'm still not a mega Star Wars person. I can quote those OT films. I'm excited for the new sequels. But I've never bothered with tie-in novels, or comics, or overly collecting stuff, or what not. My Star Wars collectibles collection is the smallest of all my fandoms, truth be told - I have more "Ghostbusters" and "Terminator" stuff by far. And they've made literally 1000x more Star Wars merch to buy! I also despise the prequels! I've enjoyed the Rebels cartoon because it's a nice throw-back and doesn't seem to be too much about the prequels.

My advice? Be ok with it. You're allowed not to like everything! I don't like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter, and I never will. And I'm ok with it! I wear it as a badge of honor almost, that I'm one of the few geeks in the world whose not read those books/seen the films. It makes me unique! :D And if not liking Star Wars is that for you, than that's ok!

Your alternative is to keep trying, again and again, by different avenues. Comics, games, books, what not. But if you've got to force yourself (pun intended!) to like something... what's the point? If you just don't want to be an outsider, if you just want to enjoy it for the sake everyone else does... well you can fake that easily enough by just memorizing the most quotable parts of the OT so you'll get friends geeky references. lol.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like them. They're not quite on the same level as the OT, but I still enjoy them, own them, and rewatch them from time to time.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I do.

In fact, I like the PT better than the OT.

In order of my personal preference: PT > OT (special editions) > OT (theatrical cuts).

Oh, and just in case I haven't alienated enough SW fans yet: I accept Alien Exodus as part of SW continuity. So there. :p

15. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ironically my aunt calls me Chewbacca. :vulcan:

16. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I too like the prequels, but I'm wary of the upcoming sequels. Still though while I don't like the hate for the prequels I don't have a problem with people disliking Star Wars in general.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I admit I am looking forward to the Sequel Trilogy. I'm sure they'll be a lot of fun to watch. I'm eager to see what they bring to the story arc.

I'm not excited about seeing yet another faction develop within SW fandom, but I will try not to take this personally. We all have our preferences. This is just another one of those. There'll be those who like the ST better than any other trilogy in this series, and they're no less valid than any other. :shrug:

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well that's not strictly true if reports are to be believed, SF fans just take a different tactic letter writting etc...

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I love Star Wars and Star Trek equally.

I don't like Taylor Swift.

To each their own.

20. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.