I am 46 years old..

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Prodigy' started by ELCHawk, Dec 12, 2021.

1. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

I'm 62 and currently living with my 29 year old son... he finds Discovery to be a crashing bore (it can be), but loved the five episodes of Prodigy, and but for the Janeway explanatory expositions, I must say I enjoyed it more than Lower Decks, finding it to be a bit more substantial, despite being aimed at a younger demographic.

2. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I am old enough to have seen TOS in its original run, though I was very young and actually preferred Lost in Space to Star Trek. The best I can say for Prodigy is that I like it more than Lower Decks. I guess I am just not too crazy about animated shows. Among the Star Trek animated shows I still prefer TAS.

3. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

75 here, and like Cyrus, I saw at least some of TOS in first run including the September 8 pilot.

J.D., Mogh, Westie1701 and 3 others like this.
  4. Jayson1

Jayson1 Admiral Admiral

I am 46 and like the show. Just like I know the Teen Nick or Cartoon Network is thrilled I am sure to have a show where it's core audience balances out in the 40 year old demographics. :)

5. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Commodore Commodore

42 and I haven't watched it yet... But that's mainly because I'm behind on a lot of TV (haven't finished S4a of Discovery, started S6 of The Expanse yet either) but I'm hearing overwhelmingly positive things which has moved it up my list somewhat. Probably I'll binge it when the first season finishes. Done quite well at avoiding spoilers so far.

Westie1701 and Commander Troi like this.
  6. Anduinel

Anduinel Commander Red Shirt

40+ and Prodigy is my second-favorite of the streaming-era Treks. I enjoy LDS just a little bit more for managing to be a bit subversive while at the same time clearly being a love-letter to Trek, but Prodigy is just so much *fun* and the creatives are doing a great job laying out the mystery of the Protostar while making me super protective of these used and abused kids. And I really do love when Trek shows the Federation through the POV of outsiders - I can't wait for more adventure with this crew.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  7. IMC Headquarters

IMC Headquarters Screencaptioning Addict Premium Member

Ageless thanks to this show and Lower Decks.

Commander Troi and JoaquinSlowly like this.
  8. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm, uh, old enough to have seen TNG in its original run. :shifty: I haven't seen Prodigy yet but I am looking forward to watching. I don't have Paramount+ at the moment; will probably start it up after I wrap up some shows I'm watching on a couple other services and then pause my subscriptions for said services. (Ain't the streaming age grand?)

Maybe it's generational, but to me, animation is just as valid of a storytelling medium as live action. And there are plenty of times when a certain type of story works better with that layer of stylized abstraction that animation provides. And who cares if this particular show has a different target demographic? If anyone looks down their nose at something you find meaningful and enjoyable, then that's entirely their problem. One of my professors made a lasting impression on me when she talked about how she personally detests Eminem's music; she finds it vulgar, misogynistic and offensive. But she would never, ever disrespect somebody else's preference for it. It could resonate deeply with their personal life experiences in a way that other people just don't "get."

Kor

9. Bornin1980something

Bornin1980something Commander Red Shirt

I'm 36. Still waiting for Prodigy to come to my country. But, I notice Nickelodeon has a show called The Astronauts, about some youths accidentally blasted into space. I wonder, what do adults think of that?

Danja likes this.
  10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Space Camp redone?

Bornin1980something and Danja like this.
  11. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm 45. You give me hope for the future. Or at least the next year or so. ;)

Mark

AnimationAdmiral likes this.
  12. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Funny how the animated shows are doing a better job with the Star Trek aesthetic than the live action ones.

13. Bornin1980something

Bornin1980something Commander Red Shirt

I don't know, but I LOVE Space Camp!

nightwind1 likes this.
  14. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

Um, I'm Crusher Disciple, and I'm not currently an alcoholic.

That's what we're doing here, right?

Danja and Quinton like this.
  15. Quinton

Quinton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Time is irrelevant. You will be assimilated.

I'm 34, and I'll go ahead and take a bold stand here, too. I sorta like the show.

16. Oddish

Oddish Vice Admiral Rear Admiral

50. Sheesh, last board I was on, I was the old guy. Now I'm disappointingly average.

And yes, I enjoy Prodigy too.

17. Mogh

Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

37, and for me, it's the only Trek show that's gone on the air in the last few years that unabashedly feels like Star Trek, and celebrates what Star Trek is about. No dud episodes, infinitely watchable and accessible, and even clever ("Time Amok" springs to mind).

Clear leader of the pack.

18. DesolationGod

DesolationGod Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

33 here and yea i enjoyed prodigy alot more then i thought i would.

AnimationAdmiral and Mogh like this.
  19. yenny

yenny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm 59 and I still watch animation shows, that include Star Trek Prodigy.

Mogh and Danja like this.
  20. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

I'm 50 and love it, too! Being a Nickelodeon show, it takes me back to earlier days of the channel, when TAS was on there, along with a lot of other animated series I loved, like Dangermouse!

In fact, I was happy to see it running on regular Nickelodeon as well, with regular ads running during other Nick shows. Planning to get a Prodigy shirt and wear it if I go to Nickelodeon Experience in East Rutherford, NJ to rep my favorite current Nick series!

Danja likes this.