How would a society with no money work?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Gingerbread Demon, May 31, 2015.

1. Thot Tnak

Thot Tnak Captain Red Shirt

Also, the Ferengi worshipped money. Gold-plated latinum ring a bell?

2. Thot Tnak

I think Gene stated that physical money had been eliminated. Credits and debt service substituted...

3. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

It's mentioned many times thru the franchise that people don't cook very often and eat replicated food at home all the time. I think it's intended that people have replicators in their home.
    I always thought that the utopian future of Trek having plentiful resources was a nice dream, but there are bits that are puzzling.
    Such as the wait staff at Sisko's father's restaurant. Who would wait tables if they didn't have to? I've heard theories that people would do it because they'd want something to do. I can see people taking on callings like medical work, or artistic/creative jobs, but it still strains credibility to me that anyone would wait tables or any other labor intensive service job without the necessity of payment as incentive.
    And then there's real estate. Beach front property is highly desirable, but that's a very limited commodity? How do they figure out who gets the beach front home and who has to live in a little apartment?
    I could see the basics being provided to any loafer who wanted to coast thru life living on replicator rations in a small apartment, but work credit putting you in a lottery for better housing, etc.Really a nice one bedroom apartment with free unlimited replicator access and library computer, health care, general social utopia without violence, crime, prejudice etc still sounds pretty fantastic.

4. Crow T. Robot

Crow T. Robot Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You mean currency? Because that's what "credits," "quatloos," "gold-pressed latinum," and everything else like it is.

5. Thot Tnak

I assumed the credit was electronic, but after some research, Gene emphatically stated that there was NO form of money nor credit in the Trek universe by the 23rd Century.

This, however, is contradicted by the very term Federation Credit as adopted by the UFP and other refs that list the cost of the Constitution-class starships as costing several billions of credits.

Btw, Quatloos and GPL are metal-based.

6. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think only reference to the Federation Credit in 24th century is in the context of UFP making a deal with the Barzans. It is possible that it is medium of exchange UFP uses when dealing with outsiders, not something used by UFP citizens. (The cost of Constitution class starship is from a book and not canon. It also doesn't make sense that a ship would be thousands of times more valuable than what UFP was willing to offer to the Barzans for the wormhole.)

7. Longinus

There could be waiting lists.

8. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Or it is easier to move to a colony with an unspoiled beach front.

9. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Even allowing for colony worlds I still think there would be real estate hot spots.
    It's still nice to think Trek's future would work those things out. Trek's idealistic future is a great comfort and inspiration to me, even if I can't figure out their economy works.

10. Thot Tnak

Thanks, but is the Spock pay in credits also non-canonical? I think over 600,000 credits for 5 years served...

11. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

That would be in the 23rd century.

12. Thot Tnak

At least in the Mirror Universe they used the Terran Imperial Credit...

13. Longinus

Yes, it's from a comic.

14. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Federation Earth being a violent, crime free zone? I doubt it since there was a penal colony in New Zealand or was it the whole of New Zealand was turned into a penal colony? I cannot recall. Racism between humans? I can see that going since it will be idiotic to hate someone being black, brown (or pink or cream) when you are surrounded by green and blue sentient beings, some of em even look like pigs and cats! White Supremacists would be a galactic joke! However I can see Terra Primers taking the place of the KKK and their ilk, why hate humans when you can hate aliens instead? As for no more poverty, well even today in developed nations, poverty is a relative term. Living on minimum wage with a battered car, colour screen tv and mobile phone? You can be defined as poor. Transfer the same worldly goods to Burkhani Faso? You are living the high life my friend.

15. Thot Tnak

Tell me about it Nyotarules!

In my area, homeless near a freeway can make $100/day easily which is $3k per month or $36k a year. No taxes, free Govt cell phone and service, motorized bicycles, free healthcare off the taxpayers, and no accountability. All they do is drugs, drinking, littering, starting fires, commuting crimes, and reproducing. I know a guy in his 50s with 9 children by 4 Street women in 9 years! He brags about it and doesn't take care of any of his kids!

The ST universe never really accounts for all the people that would take advantage of society and even other species to scam, cheat, rob...

And where are all the Terran criminals and warmongers?

The ST rose colored glasses need to come off IMO.

Humanity has progressed, but has never really changed since Cain killed Abel.

Liked your point on racism too.

16. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the point on racism, too - but I don't think it's likely to totally eliminate racists, because it's a logical argument, and racism isn't based in logic. I think there would still be some very few race supremacists (or people against specific races, like anti-Semites) - they would just be regarded by everyone else as being like we regard flat-earthers, only slightly more in need of watching.

17. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Yeah I can see the howls of laughter as the racists argue for the superiority of X human ethnic group considering the average Vulcan/Klingon can wipe the floor with em, outlive em and beat em up! lol

18. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Well of course "aliens" have powers beyond ours. There's no such thing as aliens - the Bible didn't say God made other worlds, just the Earth for the white man to rule - so they're all obviously demons empowered by Lucifer.

It hurts my brain to try to think like that - but for some, it comes all too easy.

19. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

What is your source on this? Where do you get $36,000 a year?

You've got a lot of universal statements (negative and judgmental) but I'd like to know how you came to this conclusion. All they do is drugs and light fires?

"commuting" (sic) crimes?

20. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

That was a story, comparing two fictional universes tends to lead to further arguments around here.