How to create a Cardassian?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Nerys Ghemor, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

DAMMIT--I was so hoping that was hotlinked! :cardie:

2. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I made it myself.:D

3. Nerys Ghemor

You have a sick mind. And as if it weren't enough--your signature even attests to it!

4. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ooookay... moving on...

Silly question- what are you using for the "gray" -paint, gray makeup, etc...

5. Nerys Ghemor

That I'm still trying to find out--since apparently not all makeup works on both latex prosthetics AND skin. And a color-matching problem is not something I'm particularly eager to experience.

I think I'm going to go for a very pale variant on Cardassian complexion, kind of like Garak. That'll hopefully allow me to use the same kind of makeup used for "undead" type looks...which I HOPE will make it easier to find something suitable since that's a more common costume.

6. Nerys Ghemor

Sorry to bump this...but I wanted to get an idea if anybody creates this kind of makeup on commission. I'm starting to get the idea that cost of materials and the learning curve involved could be prohibitive, so I'm trying to get an idea of what this option might run me and if anyone is known to do reliable work.

7. alkhemara

alkhemara Ensign Newbie

Good tidings for the entire year!

I've noticed in a German group, Khemorex Klinzhai, some amazing Cardassian work, so talking to the person(s) involved may propel you towards your goal.

Link:
    http://www.khemorex-klinzhai.de/ships/quv%27a%27.html - the third person from the bottom is the one, Dissiath. To write to her, you can click the brown envelope at the end of her ID information, which will take you to a form which you can fill in and it will get forwarded to her (yes, this works). If you click on her name, you'll see a picture of her in costume.

On a design note, the bumps on the ridges often look to me like corn seeds/kernels of the un-dented variety. Maybe the designer took kernels and stuck them into plasticine or plaster or whatnot and then made a cast of THAT.

Success!

Alexandra Khemara

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  8. Isadorabelle

Isadorabelle Lieutenant Red Shirt

The last time I checked, this website had a decent (better than your run of the mill, $20 ebay halloween costume) Cardassian set. If I recall right, it runs at about $65 USD.

http://www.getspfx.com/

9. Isadorabelle

Ok, I can't find it on the site. But! I did look up the email in my email client and I was wrong, it's $75 + s&h. The email is customercare@getspfx.com though.

Good luck!

10. Nerys Ghemor

Oh, I thought Cybergraphix had discontinued all reproductions of Paramount/Viacom-related work? That's what I saw in their FAQs, anyway.

And regarding Dissiath--wow, if I ever wanted to attempt full armor, I know who I'd be contacting!

11. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

If you're willing to pony up the $$$, It's A Wrap! has a set of Westmore-created Cardassian prosthetics up for auction right now.

12. Isadorabelle

It has been some time since I conversed with the website, though less than a year. Hmm. Perhaps they just had extra in stock or something. It is a shame though that the masks and such aren't more easily obtained!

13. ObsidianOrdrGal

ObsidianOrdrGal Ensign Newbie

:cardie: Does anyone know whether you can actually paint over the cheap halloween-store putty? It doesn't look as if you could.

I'm pretty sure I saw something on TV once about making Narns (Babylon 5, for those who don't know) and you could probably do basically the same thing...

On another random note, what about using balloon skin?... I'll need to think more on that.

14. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With the right type of paint maybe... plastic or the rubbery kind? You must be able to...

Balloon skin may tear easy, once you've cut it. Mind, you could probably use it to make ridges somehow...

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

http://media.khemorex-klinzhai.de/pic/people/char/369.jpg

Indeed. I am in awe.

16. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

if you can't make a life mask and sculpt it and cast or you could buy a Styrofoam head ( like the kind used for wigs), some clay and some casting rubber. Instead of casting the sculpt, brush the latex over the what you have sculpted. After it dries you can peel it off then spirit gum glue it on and blend in your make up. You will need to sculpt deeper details.

17. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Did we just segue from Cardassians to zombies?

18. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

How to create a Cardassian: Think of a human and take away reason and accountability.

19. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Really you just have to think of a human in a rich country more than 50 years ago.

20. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Sounds accurate. Or, you can just resurrect a five year old thread. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.