Poll How positive are you about Discovery now?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Mage, Jul 26, 2017.

?

What is your view on Discovery?

1. Very positive

81 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. Positive

90 vote(s)
    26.8%
  3. Somewhat positive but hesitant

56 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Neutral

24 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. Somewhat negative but hopeful

33 vote(s)
    9.8%
  6. Negative

34 vote(s)
    10.1%
  7. Very negative

18 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

In restaurant reviews, in town hall meetings, etc.

Generally if someone is happy, they won't say anything, they will just keep on keepin' on.
    If they are angry or upset, that will motivate them to make a statement.

Psion likes this.
  2. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

You know, if you bother to leave an extensive positive review of a local business on Yelp the owners are often very grateful.

Jedi_Master, Kor, BillJ and 1 other person like this.
  3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Weird, I thought the comic-con panel implied otherwise.

4. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

Tesophius likes this.
  5. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

I mostly got a bunch of press release hopefulness and the standard "we're doing things right this time" type of stuff I'd expect from the advanced publicity machine. "Tribbles are confirmed" was the only thing that actually caught my eye as something new. Unless I missed that from some other press release.

6. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

My vote went to "Somewhat positive but hesitant", but I'm really somewhere in between that and "Positive".

I think the aesthetics of the show look freaking gorgeous. I kind of wanted a Kelvinverse-style makeover of The Cage/Where No Man Has Gone Before uniforms, but the more I'm exposed to the DSC uniforms, the more I like them.

I'm glad they're taking a cinematic and serialized approach. Some of my current favorite shows are serialized, and I think if they truly are striving to adhere the narrative canon, it would be a little easier to do inside a serialized format.

I'm concerned that the show might be a little too dark. I love Game of Thrones, but I'm not sure that tone belongs in Star Trek. But of course, I only have two trailers to based that assumption on. It just might be the funniest, lighthearted thing Star Trek has ever done.

And I'm also concerned that people wont pay to see it. Yeah, on this board there seems to be an openness to trying out on CBS All Access, but when you check out the comments sections on social media, holy crap! It's almost 90-95% negative.

In conclusion to my ramblings that nobody will probably read :), I've pretty much committed myself to at least through the midseason break. I think eight episodes will be enough to judge.

Mordock likes this.
  7. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where's the option for "cautiously optimistic?"
    That's basically how I approach everything in life, STD included.

Kor

saddestmoon and Jesse1066 like this.
  8. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's what I ment with Somewhat Positive But Hesitant. ;)

9. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

This is where I stand with the added caveat that I find the look of it underwhelming from a design point of view. (This isn't about production value, that's certainly there.)

C57D, BillJ and Kor like this.
  10. Mordock

Mordock Commander Red Shirt

On the whole, I'm feeling positive. I'd be more positive if I had a better sense of what stories they want to tell and what advantage they think setting it in the vicinity of TOS gives them, but there's certainly virtue in being surprised, too.

I like the aesthetic of the show so far, and I don't mind it being a stealth reboot in that way; I'd like to see a new Star Trek that changes minds and draws in viewers who've never been drawn to the property before, and visual freshness is necessarily a part of that.

My hope for this show is that it will bring a little prestige to the property the way TNG did. By the end of ENT's run (at which point I thought the show was quite good), it was seen as just another maxtension of the brandchise. There's potential to change that and make a show that is part of the high-end drama conversation.

As network drama is dominated by procedurals, so is cable drama dominated by bleak shows about f----d-up people doing f----d-up things to each other. A Star Trek show with a hopeful view of humanity's future could be genuinely refreshing in the current climate.

Vger23 likes this.
  11. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

Very positive, I can not wait.

12. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm generally positive. I'm not thrilled with everything I've seen. I've said from day one that I don't want "again with the Klingons" and a complex "GOT in space," politics, and intergalactic intrigue series, which seems to be what we are getting.

That said, the look of the show is great, the cast and staff they've assembled is extremely talented, and they have certainly all said the right things.

I'm already a CBSAA subscriber, and I'm a lifelong Trek fan, so there's absolutely no reason for me not to be excited and supportive at this point and really hope for the best. It's a great time to be a fan.

13. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

Haven't been this excited since Voyager was announced!

...hopefully it turns out a little differently.

Relayer1, Mordock and Kor like this.
  14. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

Positive and relaxed about it.

And I'm happy to put it aside if it doesn't work out with me. But I think it should be good.

Vger23 likes this.
  15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm looking forward to it. It's new Star Trek for a new era. That's what is exciting me the most.

Vger23 likes this.
  16. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

[​IMG]
    what about their design (art direction?) do you find underwhelming? things like lighting or creature designs or

Vger23 likes this.
  17. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Exactly what I DO want.

The planet of the week 'Boldly Going' exploration thing got old during TNG. Then came Voyager and Enterprise .

Thankfully, DS9 was different...

ELURIA and Mage like this.
  18. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

I'm good with it, but then I've always been good with it.

19. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know, I get what you mean. Planet of the week, Alien of the week, Phenomenon of the week..... It gave us some good stuff, but also some very bad stuff. DS9, B5, BSG, shows with a developing plot spread over season(s), I love that stuff.

Relayer1 likes this.
  20. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm optimistic.

As for Game of Thrones comparisons, I hope it does as well as GoT.
    So we can get 8 spin-offs when it's over ;)

shapeshifter and Relayer1 like this.