How often has each Doctor saved the universe?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Mark_Nguyen, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm trying to actually quantify it. Generally we believe that the Doctor has saved the entire universe a LOT since the show came back, but I'm wondering just how often he's been doing it. Let's make a list, shall we?

Note:

- When I mean "save the universe", I mean to count an instance where the Doctor directly does something that would prevent the whole universe from being destroyed. So, for example, the Master's plots in "Last of the Time Lords" would not count, even though his fleet of Gallifreyan warships may have eventually conquered all of space and time.

- Non-TV adventures can be counted (and I'm quite interested in learning about them) but you should identify them as such.

Okay, from my immediate memory:

Fourth Doctor:

- Logopolis: closes the CVE and prevents the universe from being destroyed by entropy.

Fifth Doctor:

- Time Crash: prevents the colliding TARDISes from ripping a Belgium-sized hole in the continuum which would have eventually swallowed everything up. Half-credit shared with Ten.

Tenth Doctor:

- Time Crash: prevents the colliding TARDISes from ripping a Belgium-sized hole in the continuum which would have eventually swallowed everything up. Half-credit shared with Five.

- Journey's End: Thwarts the Daleks' plan of wiping everything out with their Reality Bomb.

- The End of Time: Keeps Rassilon from implementing the Ultimate Sanction and destroying all of creation save the Time Lords.

Eleventh Doctor:

- The Big Bang: Prevents the exploding TARDIS from paradoxing everything out of existence, and reboots the universe while he was at it.

That's what I can recall over a lunch hour. What's been missed?

Mark

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well the Tenth with a little help from the Master prevented the Timelords from destryoing the universe in "The End of Time"

What about the Fifth Doctor in "Terminus" and "Arc of Inifity" and Omega cropped up in "The Three Doctors"

Or what about the Krillitanes and the Skasis paradigm with their intend to reshape the Universe would that count?

And of course what would the Black Guardian have done had The Doctor not defetaed him?

3. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re; End of Time, granted the Master did much of the work, but the Doctor was there to set his friend off on the right path. Maybe the Master gets partial credit.

Terminus would certainly count. Not sure about Arc of Infinity, was Omega out to destroy the universe? I thought the whole thing was about him escaping the antimatter one.

The Skasis thing IMO wasn't about destroying the universe, more like changing the bit that the Kirllitanes didn't like.

And the Key to Time was also more about reshaping the universe instead of destroying or restarting it, so I think it's in that same category..?

And the

4. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Three Doctors is the first one.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Perhaps, but if they wanted to reshape the universe, isn't The Doctor saving the universe by preventing it from being reshapped. You could argue that every time The Doctor defeats the Daleks he saves the universe as The Daleks really only have one aim to Exterminate all life that isn't Dalek.

6. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

The Doctor claims in The Trial of a Time Lord that the black light explosion on Ravalox "might cause a chain reaction which could roll on until all matter in the galaxy is exhausted" or even that "an explosion might cause dimensional transference, which would threaten the stability of the entire universe."

I think he did save the universe in The Armageddon Factor; he says things like "And it would be a terrible tragedy for the universe if it suddenly turned out that I was colour blind" when refusing to give the Key to the Black Guardian in disguise.

Skagra's plan in Shada is to turn the whole universe into himself, though the Doctor does admit "it might take thousands of years" to move his mind into so many others.

7. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

No, but Omega's very existence in the matter universe would have destroyed it if the doctor hadn't acted from memory.

I guess McCoy checking Fenric in The Curse of Fenric kinda counts, though I suspect Fenric would have enslaved it rather then destroying it.