Spoilers How much more vulnerable than Data are these synths?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by JirinPanthosa, Apr 12, 2020.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I don't understand why that android could be killed by being stabbed in the eye in a way that could not be recovered. I know these androids are more organic than data. Maybe they even store memories in an organic brain. But if they can transfer consciousness from a dead human to a new body, why couldn't they do it for the dead android too? And if there's inorganic circuitry at the core of her positronic brain, all her personality and memories should be intact.

With that murder it seemed almost like these synths are basically cylons, mostly chemically human, vulnerable to the same kinds of killing as humans. But we also know they are as physically strong as Data, so they must be made of tougher stuff than humans. It comes off as a plot shortcut that simply stabbing her in the eye could kill her.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

As we saw with Picard himself at the end, they're synthetic lifeforms and can be vulnerable or durable as they're designed to be.

Although seeing Sutra die from a poke to the eye did take me back a bit, especially since she has Data's colouring (which Michael Chabon said on Instagram was intended as a tribute to their forefather)

3. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

Must be their "reset" button. Like breaking glass to set off a fire alarm.

Search4 likes this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I figured it was a failsafe to ensure they cannot become too powerful.

I mean Data has an off switch too.

5. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My assumption is that her eye sockets had an opening to connect the eyes directly to her positronic brain and that the brain is much more fragile than the skull. That, and Alton fancied himself an artist and wasn't designing bodies for combat, so might have used less durable materials and made less effort to shore up weaknesses than Noonian did with Data's chassis.

Ronald Held and Llywela like this.
  6. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

It seemed pretty obvious to me, the eye socket was the most accessible weak spot on an androids body.

Its one of the few areas which can't really be reinforced or protected.

I find it a bit odd that some didn't realise that from the start.

LJS1138, Farscape One and Llywela like this.
  7. fireproof78

Even a bear can be taken down from a shot to the eye. And 12 gauge rounds can just bounce off the skull of a bear, while a precise shot with smaller caliber to the eye is more effective.

Eyes are very vulnerable.

LJS1138, Farscape One and SolarisOne like this.
  8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sutra was indeed the one who had Data's skin color, but it was Saga who died. (Sutra was deactivated by Soong after the truth got out that she and Narek conspired to murder Saga.)

And, IIRC, there was a line about the stab to Saga's eye corrupting her memory files so she couldn't be recovered.

9. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well going with Soji's melting woman.. I belive that Data wouln't have melted from that cyanide stuff.. but might have been by the explosion.. but I would hope Data would be smart enough To Throw It Away!

10. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It seemed strange to me honestly. Data never protected his eyes as if they were vulnerable as far as I can recall. Actually he got half his face smacked and his head fell off in Times Arrow and he was good as new. It didnt seem like he had a weak point there.

11. fireproof78

I don't protect my eyes any more than usual either but that doesn't mean significant harm couldn't be done.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

We've never seen anyone directly attack Data's eyes. So we have no idea if he was as vulnerable as these synths.

SolarisOne likes this.
  13. Makarov

The synths also got knocked around by Rios and Narek where as Data completely overpowered people he fought. There's not much continuity between them and Data.

They always portrayed Data as virtually indestructible including taking a machine gun blast and saying hello like it was nothing

LJS1138 likes this.
  14. fireproof78

To the eyes?

15. Makarov

Arguably the hit that wiped out half his face came pretty close to the eyes, still nothing major. I dont remember exactly where Riker disabled him in court but it wasnt the eyes either.

I'm with the OP it seemed like a shortcut.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Data's off switch was on his lower back.

Makarov likes this.
  17. fireproof78

I thought it was under his hair?

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

19. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe the stabby thing that went in her eye also hit her with a taser charge or something.

20. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

He stabbed her through the eyes and into whatever it is she has behind them, an organic brain or a positronic one it doesn't really matter.

Go for the eyes, Boo. GO FOR THE EYES! RrraaaAAGHGHH :biggrin: