How Many of you find Trek Cheers you up if you're down?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Tyjos Azari, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Sorak

Sorak Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm going through a difficult period in my life right now: stress caused by too much studying, break up with my girlfriend and so on, you figure it out. I'm watching a lot of Star Trek episodes, about three a day, and it's inconceivable how much they relax me.
    I'm watching episodes from TNG, DS9 and VOY. As already said, entering another, detailed universe is immensely relaxing: Star Trek makes you travel, it carries you to the stars. But for me it's not only this. For some reasons, I find it particularly comforting to watch episodes focused on Picard, The Doctor and Tuvok. Maybe because for some reasons I feel as a person much closer to them than to a Worf or Riker. They have very balanced personalities: when solving a problem they weigh alternatives, ponder adequately and then make a decision. They don't just fire phasers or act recklessly. They think, and they are amazingly good at it. And thinking calmly is what I need the most in this particular period of my life. Plus, they occasionally show a touch of intellectual arrogance that I positively fancy.

Once again, thanks Star Trek for existing.

2. Lor'Vela

Lor'Vela Captain Captain

I find TNG to be a good distraction during difficult times, but I don't recall ever being cheered up by it. :borg:

3. jwb

jwb Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think the thing for me is, I get down having to put up with some of the people in this world. Star Trek TNG cheers me up, because it's nice to know that someone out there, if only a writer in California, understands how people should act. When I go back to work and deal with idiots, I just ask myself, "How would Captain Picard deal with this situation?" and it helps.

4. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Work collegue: Hey john, could you get me a coffee?

John: NOOOOOOO!!!! It is... it is... wrong. IT IS WROOONG!!! A lifetime of discipline is washed away, and in its place... (laughs briefly then grunts)

Work collegue: Okaaaayy? (walks off quickly)

John: This weakness digusts me! I hate it!