How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2008.

1. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Spin-off wouldn't work so well, considering one of the main themes of this show is that Ted is telling a story of his youth in the year 2030, but that his story is contemporary with us, the viewer. A spin-off wouldn't be able to use that same theme, and instead would have to go "The Wonder Years" route.

2. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

I think Jason Segel has aged most notably of all cast members, just saw an episode from the first season a few weeks ago and thought, whoa, dude was young... once.

3. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, neither he nor Alyson Hannigan can play their college days flashback roles very convincingly at all anymore. They should really stop trying.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

^
    Agreed. Especially Hannigan since there's so much "tape" her when she was college aged.

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I just chalk up those differences to Ted's unreliable narration.

6. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

she may have 21 when the record came out, but how old was she when she dated Coulier? 15 years is a big difference if she was still a teen at the time.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Why not?

Mother isn't exactly tied to a specific period of time, i.e. it's just a modern age sitcom and it wouldn't be much of a hassle to set a show about 10 years ago to keep it in continuity with the original show,

It could make sometimes references to events in the original show and maybe even show us legen.. wait for it.. dary scenes that happened in Mother from a different angle telling us that the Mother was many times so close but Ted wasn't yet ready.

Heck.. there were several scenes where Ted nearly met the mother but missed her by seconds or the time where Ted first teaches (the wrong) class and it's revealed that the mother was a member of this class.

Taking this gag too far is not a good idea of course but it would be nice to throw a bone to the original show once in a while.

As with all things it depends on the writing and the cast if such a show could work.. i'd definitely check it out to see what they could come up with.

9. tighr

Actually, it is. The narration is taking place in the year 2030. Each episode (when it airs) takes place in the contemporary; i.e., the Halloween episode last year takes place chronologically on Halloween in the year 2012. The year is referenced numerous times, for example in a recent episode Ted says "Kids, in the Winter of 2013"...

I could see this working next season if they change things up and continue to tell Ted's story after he met the Mother, and then have the Mother tell flashbacks to times they almost crossed paths (using the show's convention of flashbacks within flashbacks, since the entire show is technically a "flashback".) But not for a whole new series.

10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Who is going to watch a show they already know the ending to? CBS would want a show to last for years and years... if you already know who she is going to end up with, and in fact HOW she meets him... what's the point? It seems like a small number of people would be interested in such pot hole filling story telling.

People are struggling to stick with THIS series...

11. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not. I still love it. And since the ratings are as high as they've ever been, I'm not the only one.

12. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Many people have expressed in this thread they are basically sticking with it because they want to see the end, but don't enjoy it as they once did. They are probably not alone.

13. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Well.. who was going to watch the developing romance between Ted and Robin after they flat out told us in the first episode she wasn't going to be the mother?

It's all in the delivery.. i loved the relationship between them even though i knew for sure they'd split up sooner or later (that always happens with lead characters who enter a romantic relationship, see Ross and Rachel from Friends) but they put the unmovable block between them that they will never end up together for good in the show.

This is why i think this spin off could work but it would need one heck of a writing team to keep people interested in a show where they knew that some events can't work out because she needs to end up with Ted.. with a good writing team you might end up with solid 5-6 seasons (the amount of seasons HIMYM should have been before they had her meet Ted).

14. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Chandler and Monica never split up... ;)

15. Kitty Worrier

Kitty Worrier Vice Admiral Admiral

For what it's worth, I really disliked Ted and Robin getting together. The only saving grace was knowing they'd break up.

16. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In addition to the narration being clear as to the year they are in, they also referenced some real life events, such as detailing what happened to them during Hurricane Irene.

I think the series finale should be an hour long and it should be the mother telling the kids how she met their father. And she should do it entirely in that episode, just to show up Ted by getting to the point (relatively) quick.

17. tighr

And the "Mother" should be narrated by Lori Loughlin. Clearly would be the ultimate inside joke.

18. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^No, it should be done by one of the Olsen Twins just to fuck with our minds

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yet another great episode. They've really been hitting it out of the park for the past 5-10 episodes!

20. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed this episode, and the reveal that the "kindly black woman" was in fact Mike Tyson had me in stitches.

I also like that Abbey Elliot will be around for a while. Even though she's not the Mother, I like her character. I hope she gets a few scenes with her father.