How do you order your relaunch books?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by MadeIndescribable, May 3, 2017.

?

How do you arrange your bookshelves?

1. By series (TNG, DS9, TTN, etc)

56.8%
  2. Chronologically (narrative)

24.3%
  3. Chronologically (when published)

5.4%
  4. Other...

13.5%
  1. MadeIndescribable

MadeIndescribable Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Have to admit I was expecting something like that but didn't know how to change the wording of the title :p

PS: Local booksellers all the way. They pay their taxes....

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  2. Cloud

Cloud Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I don't have any independent shops around me so I'm stuck with online or the brick and mortar stores. I wasn't really serious about buying tons of books to pump up your book sales either. However, it must be glorious to go to a B+N and see your book on the shelf.

3. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

I have the collections divided by series and then further divided by re-launch. I think I've also got The Typhon Pact books and The Fall books all together in a collection.

Markonian likes this.
  4. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Diverging from the topic a bit, but it's a pretty common practice in the political book realm, because it's a quick way to get the book listed on best-seller lists or to get high sales numbers that you can legally promote. Usually not the person themselves, though, but some sort of tenuously connected third party buying it in large numbers, often afterwards giving them out as gifts to donors or something like that. It's not actually fraud because the book is being sold, but it's definitely questionable. The idea is you lose money on the book in exchange for increasing prominence or awareness in the field and/or get true book sales accelerating after that by being able to claim it's a best-seller.

5. MadeIndescribable

My brother had a lecturer at uni who would reimburse students with his share of the royalties, but only if they could show him the receipt to prove they bought a brand new copy. Pretty sure that was just to help out students with ever increasing costs though...

Leto_II and Idran like this.
  6. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I go by series, but with the crossover titles I'll stick them in between he different series. But I also put the books in chronological order. So I have "Starfleet Year One" leading off my shelves, then it goes onto Enterprise, the Bantam/Ballantine TOS novels, followed by Pocket's TOS, and then TNG's Starfleet Academy before the main TNG novels.

7. dstyer

dstyer Commander Red Shirt

I've got them ordered by series, then by publication date. I've placed all the on-screen series first (based on premiere date - TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT) followed by the book-only series (again, by date of first published novel - i.e. New Frontier prior to Stargazer prior to Vanguard).

Kilana2 likes this.
  8. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Technically they're electronic, but the 24th century stuff is by publication date.

9. Oz Trekkie

Oz Trekkie Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm all e-book now, too many kids taking up all the space I used to have for books. I have a spreadsheet where i have attempted to place the novels in chronological order. The relaunch novels hang together time wise pretty well, for those novels that cover a long period of time I have placed them at their finishing date. That works for me :-).

stardream likes this.
  10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I have a spreadsheet chronology too, and I've sometimes wondered if having it means I no longer need to keep the actual bookshelves in chronological order. But it's too ingrained a habit to abandon easily.

stardream likes this.
  11. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

I love reading threads like this - I dream of being so organised! I moved to this house ten years ago and I still don't have enough bookshelves up...

Vnix, Desert Kris and stardream like this.
  12. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

I'd love to see anyone's example of a chronological spreadsheet.

13. MadeIndescribable

I've found Memory Beta to be really helpful, but I'd love to see people's own as well.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Mine is such a mess that I'd be embarrassed to show it publicly.

15. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Part of why I haven't shared mine either, but I've been poking at cleaning it up now and then. :p

16. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I feel like this thread needs pics of peoples bookshelves. Especially @Christopher's. His has me intrigued to see. I have so few real books I won't bother posting mine.

17. MadeIndescribable

Figured I started this thread so only fair I go first.

If only I knew how...

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Your picture didn't get posted.
    Here's my tie-in bookcase. The skull and crossbones is covering up my high school and grade school year books.
    Other than my yearbooks everything in this one is a tie-in or behind the scenes book.
    [​IMG]
    Here's my headboard bookcase, which is where I put all of the paper books I either haven't read or plan on rereading.
    [​IMG]

Kilana2 likes this.
  19. MadeIndescribable

Yep, no idea how to post them...

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry, I didn't see the bottom part of your post there.
    If you want to post pictures, you need to have them posted to another site first, click on the button with the mountains and sun between the smilie and film strip, then just post the URL in window that pops up.