Poll How do they celebrate Christmas in the Trekverse?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Kilana2, Dec 3, 2018.

?

Is Christmas still celebrated in the Trekverse?

1. It is still celebrated

16 vote(s)
    48.5%
  2. It doesn't play a role anymore

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Non humans adapt to the festivities and go along or at least tolerate them

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. I don't know

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

In my head canon, WWIII was us liberals taking the War on Christmas up a notch We finally won!. Christmas parties like the one KIrk went to are only done ironically. :)

Jason

F. King Daniel likes this.
  2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Those Vulcan fertility rituals are NUTS. :)

F. King Daniel likes this.
  3. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm. The only fertility ritual I've ever encountered is one that gets practiced at a lot of weddings I've attended (either as a guest or as video crew, back when my videographer friend still did weddings). It's called the Chicken Dance.

4. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

This is already a semi-religious topic...let’s not bring politics into it as well.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's a lot of Bajoran customers at Quark's. Indeed, there's one episode where Quark even complains about business being slow because that particular day is a Bajoran holiday where they abstain from consuming alcohol.

6. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She smiles a lot for someone who supposedly is drinking the Vulcan kool-aid.

When she describes the Vulcan life style as "better than ours," tells the fat teddy bear story, and about Sarek last confrontation with the Tellarite ambassador, there is considerable bemusement in her voice.

Not all that stoic.

7. Night Shade

Night Shade Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think it's still celebrated, but not on a galaxy-wide level. With all of the non-humans in the Trek-verse, everyone has probably become more sensitive to other peoples beliefs and non-beliefs, and don't try to impose their personal ideas on others.

8. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Without the mass consumerism we see today, and the marketing machinery cranking up the pressure to conform with your wallet, Christmas will probably be claimed back by Christians as a celebration of the birth of their saviour.

To everyone else, Dec 25th will be a fairly normal day. Unless of course, it finds a new relevance during the nuclear winter or something.

hbquikcomjamesl and Vger23 like this.
  9. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Speaking of normal day. Even if a Starfleet Captain and his wife - let's say Jean-Luc and Beverly - celebrate Christmas. When duty calls, the Christmas party is canceled or at least postponed until the crisis is over.

Butters likes this.
  10. marlboro

marlboro Guest

Who cooks Christmas dinner? You gotta go with Chef from ENT, right?

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

They probably have a low key celebration among people who observe it, but don't spend all of December forcing it on everyone else.

12. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

They celebrate with Panny! The Pan-Cultural Seasonal Entity!

[​IMG]

Panny avoids any religious, spiritual, or gender-y connections. Panny is all things, and therefore nothing! The perfect Star Trek holiday character.

Panny respects you and your beliefs!

Kilana2 and CorporalCaptain like this.
  13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks like a big black nose. Noseless species are furious.

14. marlboro

marlboro Guest

I can't blame them for being out of joint what with so many snooty people looking down their noses at them. Proboscis discrimination is nothing to sneeze at. You would hope that by the 24th century people would stop trying to pick on them.

Vger23, uniderth and F. King Daniel like this.
  15. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think some of the novels mentioned a human philosophy that was based on following Vulcan teachings.

Kor

16. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

It is logical for most humans to express their emotions. Human emotions tend to not be as extreme and violent as Vulcan emotions, yet due to weaknesses in their neurology, repressing them can lead to high levels of stress that can manifest into physical ailments. Therefore in the case of humans, controlled expression of emotions, filtered by careful application of logic, leads to better control and wellbeing than repressing them completely.

Phoenix219 and fireproof78 like this.
  17. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Suppression of all emotion would lead to uncontrollable passions every seven years.

Kor

Phoenix219 likes this.
  18. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

That’s how we celebrate Valentines Day in the future.

19. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Nuclear Winter will perfectly counter-balance Global Warming.
    Or if he's unavailable, then Chef from South Park.
    When do we see Amanda dressed in Vulcan manner even once? Twice she's in warm delightful colors, and the clothing she arrives aboard the ship in is unlike any Vulcan clothing we'll ever see. She's hardly in the female version of Sarek's attire.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

I would propose that genuine Christmas trees would be pretty much gone. Either replaced by artificial trees or replaced with some sort of alternative. Gift giving would still exist. The Santa Claus aspect may have died out or been replaced by something else. I imagine a post-apocalyptic 2050s earth would have been the breeding ground for many interesting cultural changes.

As a religious person I was caught up in the taking the Christ out of Christmas frenzy probably in my early teen years. However, what's interesting that now, after much study, Christ was never in Christmas to begin with. Historically, Christmas was created over the century's as multiple winter festivals morphed together. Not only is Christmas not found in the Bible, but Christ* would have celebrated the Hebrew holy days such as Passover, the Feast of Unleavened Bread, etc.

I don't want to veer this discussion off on too much of a religious tangent. I just thought it was interesting that as a person who formerly thought we should avoid using "Xmas"; I now realize that the holiday festivities we today label as "Christmas" weren't ever really about Christ to begin with.

*I make this statement under the assumption that Christ existed at least as a person.

That's something I really wish we could see in the Star Trek Franchise, all of the changes and evolution of religions, and philosophies in the future. What new things are there? What evolutions of existing ones? In what ways have human religions morphed to include alien traditions? Not to toot my own horn, but as a Mormon I think there are some fundamental aspects of Mormonism that would be particularly well suited to being an interstellar religion.

Night Shade and Phoenix219 like this.