How can any decent person be a SW stormtrooper fan?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ian Keldon, Oct 14, 2012.

1. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Should have been more clear: I meant the movies and the shows. There's plenty of toys put out there for shows and movies that aren't really meant for small kids (ex: Halo). and it seems like a lot of the toys are geared more for older collectors over kids. Lego is definitely a kiddie brand for the franchise, but I wouldn't consider the Prequel movies or any of the tv shows since to be "aimed for kids".

2. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Thread = lulz.

3. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aw, I kinda felt bad killing all those Wookies.

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Truth be told so did I. Sometimes I'd let the Wookiee Warriors get some good blows in just to let them have the upper hand for a few moments. Plus I was always curious to see how much punishment the TFU Vader could take before his armor sustained game damage.

More often than not I'd get them out of the way using Vader's super-powerful Force Push, knocking them off their feet and throwing them about fifty feet away. As a lifelong fan of the species I tried to use as few lightsaber strikes as possible. I know the game doesn't depict anything really gruesome and has a reasonable rating so kids can play, but it's the principle of the thing, you know? :)

5. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well there is a reason I framed the argument there as 'Empire' and 'rebels'. The morality of the prequel trilogy is considerably murkier - and only partly, I think is that Lucas' intent.

The Jedi are obviously not the bad guys in the sense that Darth Sidious, Maul, Tyrannus and eventually Vader are the bad guys, but there's definitely some debateable ethical issues - for example - over how they handle the idea of a clone army.

It's a children's cartoon. I watched the first two seasons and I honestly kind of boggle at trying to call it something else.

6. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Feels more Teen, young-adult to me.

7. Kegg

:cardie:

I don't even know where to begin with that.

Perhaps the snarky padawan who nicknames Anakin 'Sky-guy' might be a start.

8. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Have you watched the last three seasons? Even the snarky Padawan has been matured somewhat. About the only episodes I'd consider kiddie would be anything doing with Artoo and C3-PO on their own; those play like the classic Droids cartoon. And even the first two seasons weren't really "kiddie" but more tween to teen. The last three running up to Episode III and Anakin's fall are geared older.

9. Kegg

Nope. But there's no way in hell that isn't a children's show, even with its Notorious ripoffs and what have you. Although there is a depressing tendency on the internet to rate any cartoon that isn't as emotionally vaucuous as let's say the Transformers that Ian Keldon got his avatar from as more adult fare.

10. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Not necessarily adult, just not traditional kiddie fare. Unless you know a lot of little kids that like sitting through multi episode arcs dealing with political discourse, the morality of soldiers who desert their unit, or three episodes of theological debate on whether or not Anakin is God--complete with Dark Side zombie Sexy Ahsoka. It's teen/young-adult, with a handful of kiddie episodes, which isn't a bad thing.

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Survival of the fittest, baby!

Well, there's an interpretation I haven't heard before.

I'm pretty sure Anakin is not God.

I think it's equally as "silly" to see the Jedi as bad guys in the PT as it is to see the Rebels as bad guys in the OT.

12. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

The whole Mortis Arc in Season 3. Anakin is proclaimed to be the Chosen One by Father (a non corporeal being that is a living embodiment of the balance The Force) and some fan takes is that Anakin is now God cause he's the living embodiment of the Balance.

13. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

14. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, one is fiction and one is not. The bad guys in a lot of fiction typically are more complicated characters and often are easy to like from a character point of view.

BTW, how many James Bond fans are there out there and how many innocent people has he killed for the good of the crown? Bond is another example of a complicated 'good/bad guy.'

15. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The Krell arc imo is probably one of the better examples of the CW done well. Though unsurprisingly it wasn't done by Filoni, but another director.

16. Set Harth

I got that. I just don't see how "Anakin is God" comes from "Anakin is the Chosen One" ( something we already knew ). The Force Wielders of the arc are assuredly not gods.

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Still, the Jedi indoctrinate children into their way of life. When you're three or four years old, you don't know enough to make that choice for yourself. And parents just willingly give up their kids just because the Jedi say so.

Hell, when the stormtroopers were overseen by the Jedi and the Republic, they were basically breeding sentient beings for no purpose other than to fight war. At least when the Empire stepped in they stopped that and began recruiting poeple of the age of consent who could choose that life for themselves.

And even if they were conscripted, at least they weren't pulled from their families (or even given up by their families) when they were less than five.

18. Set Harth

Some sources say the Empire continued to use clones in addition to non-clone troops.

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, Lucas himself claims they were all clones in the OT, but the EU sticks to the idea that the Stormtroopers of the OT were recruits. I'm just going with the recruit angle since it helps build my rather amusing argument.

Just so we're clear, I don't actually I'm posting. I'm just adding to an already amusing thread.

20. Set Harth

I don't think either of these statements are entirely accurate.