Spoilers Hopes for the Third Season??

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by HaventGotALife, Jun 29, 2019.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey, ideas about Spock's age were in flux at least until "The Counter Clock Incident" where he de-ages far slower then the rest of the crew, implying his age to be much closer to that of the 75-year-old Captain April than the others.

I'm not sure when they actually decided he was contemporary with Kirk, but the first licenced publication to say so was probably the Star Trek Chronology in 1993.

2. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Didn't yesteryear in the same animated series place Spock in his mid thirties at the time?

3. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spock couldn't be too old in the series because his mom was human and still alive. So unless Amanda was like 90, Spock couldn't ever have been that old in TOS.

BillJ, Yistaan and eschaton like this.
  4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Technically it was during the third season of TOS in "The Way to Eden". Fred Freiberger turned down the idea of McCoy having an adult daughter because he operated under the belief that Kirk, Spock, and McCoy were the same age. So Joanna became Irina Galliulin. DC Fontana didn't like this change at all and used a pseudonym.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  5. F. King Daniel

Spock said to the Guardian, "30 Vulcan years past" which cloud be anything in earth years.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Amanda looked to be 60-75 in "Journey to Babel". So Spock couldn't be much more than 50, unless Sarek was robbing the cradle. ;)

7. IMC Headquarters

IMC Headquarters Screencaptioning Addict Premium Member

I'd like to see at least one episode where the crew deals with their grief of having left behind everything ever held dear to them. Yes, they may lack the time to process their losses as they adjust to their new reality, but it should be addressed.

8. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I would like to see this as well.

It would be a huge reality shock to everyone not just a normal Tuesday.

SJGardner and IMC Headquarters like this.
  9. F. King Daniel

Someone having legitimate regrets of their decision would be interesting.

10. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If/when they make it back to the 23rd century (I am assuming they will make it back around the season 3 finale) - I would like to start seeing a few ships with round nacelles. Just a few. Please.

I wouldn't mind seeing a ship that looks at least a *little* Kelvin-ish. Since they were around before the timelines split.*

*(Though without going into long convoluted explanations here, I don't believe that the past of the Kelvinverse and the past of the Prime universe are the *exact same* pasts...just very, very, very similar as to be *almost* indistinguishable. They can't be the same because that would mean that Kelvinverse people could travel back in time to any one of the MANY instances were their Prime universe counterparts - or Prime version of the DS9 & Voyager crew - traveled back in time, and meet up with them. I believe that when Nero changed the future he also subtly changed the past of the Kelvinverse as well. The mechanism for this is the fact that physics tells us that in any universe where backwards time-travel is possible, causality works *both ways*. That is, future events can change past events. Which happens in Trek, we have seen it. The short of this is, the Kelvinverse ships that exist in the same time period as the Discovery in the Prime universe, may not be the same.

Of course, perhaps ANOTHER explanation for why we don't see Kelvin-style ships in Discovery is that most of those classes of ships are way out of date by Disco's time, and they only reason we even saw them in use in Trek '09 was because they were in use as Academy training vessels. Hence why they crews seems to largely be made up of cadets. And as most of the Fleet was engaged in the Laurentian system - and, I assume also scattered throughout the quadrant on separate missions, all that was available to *immediately* respond to the planetary distress call from Vulcan, were all the cadet training vessels stationed at Earth Spacedock. Remember when the Enterprise 1701 was considered "out of date" by Starfleet, it was being used as...an Academy training vessel for cadets. Starfleet probably uses a lot of their old ships as training vessels.)

Tim Thomason likes this.
  11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I'm not going to read this thread until the show airs cause I'm super spoiler-sensitive, but you know what would give me an absolute nerd-gasm?

If season 3 ended with Discovery making a time jump, trying to get back home. Then in the season 1 Picard finale, in the last few minutes, a strange space time anomaly is detected, and when they go to check it out, Discovery flies out.

Having Picard meet Burnham would be a beautiful scene, because Picard would probably recognize her and have residual emotion for her from the mindmeld, and he had emotional personal relationships with but Spock and Sarek as well. I don't remember whether Sarek knew what happened to Burnham at the end of S2, but there could be a scene where Picard gets overwhelmed by Sarek's emotions and gets lost in them, finding out what happened to his long missing adoptive daughter.

12. Karellen

Karellen Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Character development is on the right track and I can't wait to find out more about everyone. I hope they stay in the future permanently, or if they do return I hope it happens in the show's finale. I hope they shift focus away from the tired old alien races we all know, and some of us love, and do what DS9 did so incredibly well with several lesser known races/aliens of the week from TNG. No more name-drops and nostalgia milking, please. The show is clearly more than ready to shed the training wheels and have its own identity.

What I'm hoping for Discovery and beyond:
    Discovery -- serialized; character-driven; stays in the future; explores the cultures of new or lesser known alien races while navigating through the overarching story of S3

Section 31 -- episodic; plot-driven; case-of-the-week, X-Files in space; opens with a sweeping shot of Indiana Jones-style warehouse of secrets :D

"Pike Show" -- combination of episodic and serialized stories; lighter in tone and more action-oriented than Disco and S31; revels in cool nostalgia without worrying about the absolute canonical accuracy or the aesthetics of the previous shows

Bollie74 and antinoos like this.
  13. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That might make a cute idea if they tie it in with some sort of crossover special. Discovery travels to the late 24th century in their end-of-season cliffhanger. The special has Picard and crew helping Burnham and crew to travel to the past, while trying not to reveal their fate or learn of his future. They do so, but they don't make it back home. Where they eventually end up will be answered in Discovery Season 4.

14. Gingerbread Demon

That sounds like a fun idea if hey did that, like a space based Warehouse 13 of sorts. That would be cool.

15. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well "hero ship" makes sense, certainly for TOS Enterprise because the amount of extraordinary adventures they have, it would have to be special ship. The most exciting thing most ships would encounter would be Tribble like level situations or encounter Harry Mudd type villains. And they would have months or boredom in between.

That would be real life. But it would make for a boring space series

16. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno, I've said in the past that TOS is by far the least "epic" of the shows to date. The crises they face are usually on a planetary scale, the antagonists are other captains or commanders, etc. We can easily imagine another dozen ships just like the Enterprise getting into analagous, if not exactly identical, adventures.

17. Gingerbread Demon

Ah.......

But how many other ships can say they were put on a coffee table, grabbed by a green hand in space, or flown inside a giant amoeba?

eschaton and F. King Daniel like this.
  18. F. King Daniel

TOS was more crazy than epic. Not hat there's anything wrong with that.

Jadeb and eschaton like this.
  19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the Doomsday Machine was sufficiently epic, as is Balance of Terror where the Enterprise has to stop a war.

But, TOS was definitely a variety storytelling platform.

eschaton and Morpheus 02 like this.
  20. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

My hopes?

1. That I'm entertained.
    2. See #1.
    The end.

Bollie74 and Q2UnME like this.