Hey, I never noticed that before....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You believe rightly, in the main. From Gemini 5 on the astronauts designed, or had designed for them, mission patches. It started as consolation for the no-names policy adapted after Grissom and Young picked ``Molly Brown'' for their capsule's name. If all this squabbling sounds remarkably petty to you that's because it kind of was.

After it turned out mission patches were very popular as public relations items and for mission team morale there were patches retrofitted onto the Mercury and the first two Gemini flights.

J.T.B. likes this.
  2. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kirk sorta becomes a member of the medical profession when he replaces Salish as medicine chief. Given what McCoy had to tell him about his wife and baby dying, it's not surprising there was no chance to rib Kirk about being considered a doctor.

3. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

I can just hear Kirk in 'Paradise Syndrome'....."I'm a doctor, not a ship's captain." :D

4. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And I wonder what Spock would have to say about that.

5. Spock's Barber

"I'mmmmmm.....Capppp......tainnnnn.....Spockkkkkk!!!!!!" :vulcan:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  6. Spock's Barber

I just watched 'Miri'. I guess her planet is an exact duplicate of Earth. In the background of several of the street shots you can plainly see a huge television/movie sound stage.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  7. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never think of Mayberry during "Miri", because The Andy Griffith Show rigorously shot those buildings to show the first floor only. Seeing the whole height of the buildings made it look like a different town altogether.

8. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

They had to meet a budget. Backgrounds that you wouldn't have been able to see on a 1960s broadcast, shown once, on a pre-cable, fuzzy, ghosting, CRT set seems like a pretty reasonable place to cut.

9. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Miri's world must have been in parallel development with earth when they're civilization collapsed due to it's nineteen sixties look and our understanding in later shows that Kirk's Enterprise is three centuries from our present at that time! :shrug:
    JB

10. Spock's Barber

Heaven help us! Those poor people on Miri's planet had to watch 'My Mother the Car' on their parallel planet televisions like we did! Oh, the horror! :ack:

11. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

That's not a sound stage, that's the shelter where the grups are living.

12. Spock's Barber

Like in POF, where the Desilu/Paramount Producers Building doubled as the Nazi headquarters. A subtle reference to power hungry television executives (??). :shrug:

13. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Usually, but not always.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Henoch and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  14. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

Exactly. That planet 's man-made plague wiped out most of the population during their 1960s, which took place at the same time as our 1960s. In "Miri", it's now centuries later.

15. johnnybear

Never heard of that one old chap! :vulcan:
    JB

16. johnnybear

But we had to wait until the final episode of TNG to find out the date exactly didn't we!
    JB

17. Spock's Barber

You are very fortunate, my friend. A brief synopsis...a man's mother passes away, but wait....she comes back as his car. It was supposed to be a comedy. It lasted one year, thankfully.

18. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Antenna TV plays in Sunday morning, if you get the channel and you're feeling adventurous....

19. EnsignHarper

EnsignHarper Captain Captain

It does have Avery Schreiber mugging it up in it though.....

20. JE Smith

JE Smith Commander Red Shirt

I keep seeing posts like this. Guys, I grew up in the '60s and '70s, TV reception wasn't THAT bad. Yeah, it wasn't hi-def, and the TVs weren't huge (well, some of the expensive ones were), but the cliche of somebody having to bang the side of the TV just to get the picture to stabalize is pretty much a joke. TV looked "pretty decent" for most of my childhood/young adulthood. Sure, I wouldn't trade it for my 50" HDTV, but the notion that we spent our entire lives squinting at a bunch of fuzz that barely constituted a "picture" is simply nonsense.

UnknownSample likes this.