Here it is - no bloody "A", "B" "C" or "D"

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Hmm, I have no problem with the nacelles and i love what they did with the declector dish but the secondary hull looks a bit on the small side and (as most have pointed out already) is pushed a bit too much to the front... like it, don't love it...

But I'm so looking forward to see it in action...:techman:

2. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

That's certainly my impression. I don't really see where people are getting a TNG or post TNG era vibe from this. Eye of the beholder I suppose.

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Cutting directly to the chase. :lol:

I'll reserve my full judgement until I've seen more of it and seen it in context, but on first impression, I like this. It looks different, but it looks functional. It looks structurally balanced. It looks like it's meant to be used for doing things.

5. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

...Aaaaand I think trekmovie.com's broken :lol:

What was that, like 45 minutes? Figured that would happen sooner. For shame, outraged geeks, for shame! ;)

6. The Super Brando

The Super Brando Commander Red Shirt

Oh man that looks great. I love the sleekness to it. The thicker neck is nice too, makes it look more solid.

Even though they don't look like the originals, the nacelles for some reason give me a retro vibe, which is appropriate for a movie like this.

I didn't expect the neck to connect so far back on the secondary hull, but I'm open to it. I don't really like how the rear of the secondary hull is so thin, but that doesn't ruin the design for me.

I always wished the pylons for the nacelles were at a more obtuse angle, and was hoping that would be one of the changes, but ah well.

Overall I'm really glad to see a new and sleek design that looks futuristic. I just wanted this movie to look futuristic so bad, and really didn't want it to pander to the nostalgia nazis, and I think this design achieves that.

7. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

8. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I like it. It will never replace my favorite, the refit, but it will do the trick.

9. steveman

steveman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yup. Same problem I had. When looking at the picture as if what's actually a shuttle is part of the ship, the engineering section just looks... Borgified... or something.

Suffice it to say, I'm glad that it was just a shuttle in the way!

Anyway, my initial thoughts are that...

A) The ship looks like it's leaning forward. Can't say I like the position of the neck.

B) I hate how the bottoms of the nacelles look.

C) All these problems might remedied if we got a look at the ship from a better vantage point. I don't think this one is very flattering.

10. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A design classic that's been messed with a bit too much for my liking. It makes the Koernerprise look far more faithful by comparison. At least it got the major features in the right proportion to each other.

[​IMG]

If this had had the same realistic hull texture as the new movie CG, it would've done the job perfectly.

Of course, if this movie is a corrupted version of Original Series' history... (which I sense it is) then none of these fan opinions actually matter.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  11. mredom

mredom Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Showed it to my daughter, who puts up with Trek because I love it. She said-"it's the same ship"

I think most casual observers will say the same-meaning JJ's done his job, making it Star Trek, and yet not so focused on the little stuff. The "broad strokes" of Trek-still recognizable, but translated and updated for a new audience.

I can't wait! It's going to be different, but it will still be Trek!

MRE

12. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

I'd say actually the more compact design of the nacelles and 'neck' is more functional looking than the original fairly spindly spread out design on the Connie.

13. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

This is a pretty standard vantage point, as shots of the Enterprise go.

It is likely to look much more "normal" when viewed head-on.

14. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

It looks a bit like Andy's Probert's take on the 1701-C and one of his concepts for the 1701-D

15. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, anybody who doesn't post in a place like this is probably not going to notice the difference. Which means it's faithful enough, IMO.

The placement of the neck bugs me a little, but on the whole it looks fine.

16. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

WOW! I like it a lot!

So what's the death toll amongst canon-ists?

17. VOODOOXI

VOODOOXI Commander Red Shirt

Looks pretty cool to me.

18. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

I get where your coming from, there are aspects of every Star Trek design that can be scrutinized and the original connie is no different. To me however this, and the E-E to an extent, just scream "I was designed to look uber cool" and nothing else. I'm just one of those people who prefers a more functional design. To each thier own.

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The whole Ent-D impression is coming from that waistline crease on the engineering hull. As I stated in another thread, the Nacelles are dead ringers for the headlights and fenders off of a 50's car.

20. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

As positive as my attitude is towards the movie, I have to say that I think the ship looks crap in that picture. It will look much better in motion and from different angles, of that I'm sure - but that picture? Ugh.

Ah, well - I still remain positive. Bring on the trailer!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.