HBO can't handle Preacher!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You do understand that it's primarily a love story?

All the flash and circumstance are just obstacles to make the true love harder won and more entertaining.

2. misskim86

misskim86 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm a baptist and I love Preacher. If you read it all it's not about Christian bashing at all, it's mainly a story about the importance of friendship

3. Guy Gardener

And the best dog in the world.

4. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Probably for the best, it would have been dumbed down to suit family values. Can't imagine Arseface or Sheriff Root and his N-words ever making it past the censors

5. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

Oh god I about rolled over and died laughing because I've known people who probably think that way. "God Damn Martian Ni__ers!. You wont anal probe me you Intergalactic Porch Monkeys!"

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eh? On HBO's Deadwood, there's a character named Nigger General. (Because he wears an old Union army uniform.)

7. Guy Gardener

That's historically accurate and not derogatory. He was proud of it, as long as all the words were said in the right order. Although when they tried to tar and feather that poor bastard?

However I don't recall mention of Cracker General Lee or Cracker General Jackson?

8. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

lol yea. I hear him saying "I've learned my lesson about not staying faithful to the comic", but uhh. I've seen two comic movies from him I was less than enthused by.

9. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now that would be good. And doable. Fables turned out to be far stronger book than I imagined it would be when the series started.

I'm one of the few here, I see, that was never really impressed with Preacher. The shock value aspect wore thin on me after realizing it was shock for shock's sake. But, in fairness, I gave up reading it five or so trades in so I can't comment on how the story came together as a whole.

10. I read some of it but I was unimpressed. There didn't seem to be any depth, it was all just 'shocking outrageousness' . In fact, it sort of reminded me of a frank miller comic.

11. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ever see a Martin Scoreses or Spike Lee film? How about "Oz"?
    They use that word quite a bit, besides these are made for cable(do we still call it cable?) TV movies. That type of dialog is allowed.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The first half of Preacher is one of my all time favorite comics, but the second half is mostly garbage to my eyes. Everything after the nuke went off was just awful. We went from a global apocalyptic army war saga... to a small town sheriff and the character split up. Yawn. Even the Alamo ending was barely satisfactory. And I really don't like the way the threat of Starr and the Grail were just sysmatically watered down until he went from the man secretly in command of all the world's armies to just some crazy nut with a handful of soldiers. The only part of the second half I found worthy was the final bit with the Saint of Killers.

13. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

The FCC doesn't have jurisdiction over cable networks. The only censors would be internal decisions by the network.

14. Guy Gardener

Even TV Producers have value systems based on ethics or a lack of ethics.

In the one shot that came out last year of Chronicles of Wormwood, some of the people behind the show "I Fucked the Presidents Wife" are talking about their motivations and difficulties, reasons and choices for how they made the first episode... It was bloody obvious that Garth was pisstaking the making of making of a Preacher show by a Cable network.

It's a bloody good read. :)

15. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

Nah. When Garth Ennis uses chainsaw-wielding, transvestite nuns with massive overbites it's meant as a joke. When Frank Miller does it he's actually serious.