Have you read the new Gross & Altman book?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by CrazyMatt, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Some of the materiel in this book is lifted or found in other places given it is already familiar. There is a rawness to some of the enttries that make them feel genuine and more unscripted than what we have often heard in the past.

it does illustrate that these were real, complex people and varying opinions could be influenced by circumstance and perspective. I agree that one's status could also magnify a person's failings dependent on one's perspective at a given time.

I'm finding this much more readable than the TMP book Return To Tomorrow which I often find somewhat dry and aimless.

IronWaffle likes this.
  2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The "letter" can be found in the de Forest Kelley collection, which was donated to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Having now read the excerpts in Altman/Gross, it wouldn't surprise me if Roddenberry's letter only exacerbated problems on set, not resolved them.

IronWaffle likes this.
  3. Esteban

Esteban Commander Red Shirt

Interesting, Harvey, and I agree with you. Gene's letter sounds like emails I type after I've had a few too many. Learned that lesson, mostly....

Speaking of which, to Warped9's earlier point, GR's change in behavior during the 70s and 80s has all the earmarks of substance abuse, which from what we hear, was well-known. With his frustration, diminution of skills, perceived indignities, poor choices, et. al, which booze and drugs tend to accelerate like a comet through the Gamma Hydra system, and he just spiraled down. Sad.

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ A viscious circle of failing to succeed with anything else and seeking solace in substances to dull the pain and disappointment.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'm now reading about the development of TWOK.

I have to say reading some of Nicholas Meyer's ideas for Trek is ticking me off in the same way as seeing some of his ideas realized onscreen ticked me off. There is also something about Harve Bennett that puts me off as well.

6. tim0122

tim0122 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

With the way people are talking about this book, it sounds really interesting. Might have to pick it up now.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I think there is also a Kindle version.

8. tim0122

There is. Despite being cheap, though, I usually prefer by physical copies of things (except for Hamlet in the original Klingon, of course). But money is a bit tight. So maybe digital is the way to go in this case.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

There are things I'm interested in reading, but not so much I want a hard copy, so thats when I get the e-version. Otherwise I go hardcopy.

10. tim0122

Not a bad way to do it. My wife (a librarian) is also pushing for me to check out more books from the library in order to save money. All good ideas.

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

OMG, it's been many many years since I've been to the library, to sign out a book anyway. I have donated books to local libraries during the past few years.

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Oooo... Major reveal for some (like me) when reading about TWOK. All these years I had no idea.

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Wow. It really looks like JJ Abrams took Harve Bennett's academy years script to make ST09 and kept a lot of the elements. If so then ST09 was not the brainchild of JJ but rather Bennett's.

14. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've bought Kindle editions for many years, but most of the time, I never return to a title after finishing it. So, why buy in the first place? I've been borrowing Kindle editions from the library recently. They don't have a huge selection, and there's often a waiting list, but still it's a nice option.

15. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always go back to reference books. Whether it's Trek, other TV and movies, comics, whatever. 99% of the time, if it's a novel, it gets read once. But behind the scenes and making of stuff? I always reread. Buying hardcopy is the way to go for me. I'll probably never own a Kindle or worry about digital formats not being compatible. Not for this stuff. I have Samuel T. Cogley Syndrome when it comes to books.

16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Bennett's Academy movie was written by David Loughery; Abram's Star Trek (2009) was written by Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman. Loughery's version is, shall we say, not good. I doubt Abrams or anyone else involved in the recent movies has even read it.

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'm on the fence about buying this. Their Cinefantastique work was a staple of my trek reading in the 90s. Not sure how much is new.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

You can get a good taste of what's new via Google Books. There's a lot of repurposed material in it, especially in the sections covering the original series. There's also a fair amount of filler (Dean Devlin? Chriss Pratt? Who cares?). It's very readable, though.

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Finally finished reading this. It took me four days cover-to-cover.

A worthy read.

20. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm pretty sure that letter is in the Justman/Solow Inside Star Trek.