Hasbro's Power Rangers era and General Tokusatsu discussion

Wow, God Kuwagata takes up even more of the robo than usual -- it's the torso, arms, and upper legs. The mantis and the bee make up the lower legs. The dragonfly is the sword and the wings, the butterfly is the sword hilt and the head. Of the peripherals, the spiders are basically torso shielding and the ladybugs are arm shielding, but that ant wrapped around the sword blade seems entirely pointless. Unless the sword also turns into a gun and the ant is the trigger or grip, maybe.

but that ant wrapped around the sword blade seems entirely pointless.

Almost entirely pointless. It is mainly there to cover up any unnecessary holes that are exposed

VaYPa4d.jpg

Why do I have a feeling that mecha is going to be "EXPENSIVE".
WAY too many parts.

The DX King-Ohger set of 10 is scheduled for release on March 4 2023 at a price of 9350 Yen. God Kabuto the first auxiliary mecha will be released in Late March 2023 for 3850 Yen.

God Kabuto

God-Kabuto.jpg

Compared to American toys that skimp on articulation and paint(mainly silver) I'd say it's worth it for 90 dollars

Well, it turns out the reason Amy Jo Johnson isn't returning for "Once & Always" is that Hasbro wouldn't pay what she's worth.

https://twitter.com/_amyjojohnson/status/1615727965756596227

Another speculation is she wanted to direct the episode but Hasbro said no

QIaACWC.jpg

Also. The Ranger keys have been quite popular these past 12 years way after Gokaiger ended. There's always been an opportunity to sell a ranger set of keys.

Coming soon. KingOhger ranger keys

https://toy.bandai.co.jp/series/sentai/topics/detail/2901/

enwoHif.jpg

Last edited:
I don't if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the official Power Rangers Youtube channel, at least it says "Power Rangers Official" with a confirmation check, has all of Mighty Morphin through Jungle Fury, and Dino Charge/Super Dino Charge available to watch for free. They appear to be in the process of adding RPM right now too.

^ Yeah, YouTube is now supposed to be the exclusive online streaming home for most of old PR (you can still find MMPR, Ninja Steel, and Beast Morphers on Netflix alongside, obviously, Dino Fury), and more seasons/series keep getting added as time goes on.

I wish the Toei YouTube channel would carry the new Sentai and Rider shows live, like Tsuburaya does with Ultraman. And that it subtitled everything instead of just the first couple of episodes of their old shows.

Random, but does anyone understand how the Thunderzords worked? I remember in their debut the rangers had to retrieve the Dinozords to create the Thunderzords. But considering we saw them transform from the Dinozords to the Thunderzords every time they were summoned, it feels like they morphing themselves and technically, if foolishly, the Dinozords could still be used if wanted.

Random, but does anyone understand how the Thunderzords worked? I remember in their debut the rangers had to retrieve the Dinozords to create the Thunderzords. But considering we saw them transform from the Dinozords to the Thunderzords every time they were summoned, it feels like they morphing themselves and technically, if foolishly, the Dinozords could still be used if wanted.

Ranger Wiki says that the Dinozords were destroyed and only partially salvaged, and that the Thunderzords were created from their template. They're also considerably more powerful, necessary to defeat Zedd's more powerful monsters. So I guess the initial Dinozord-like appearances are sort of an initial resting stage before they fully power up.

That sequence always struck me as a clumsy way to justify why they were still using the Zyuranger costumes after switching to Dairanger mecha footage. And it was painfully obvious that the morphing shots were made with toys of the Dinozords rather than the original miniatures.

Still, those scenes left their impact. Whenever I see someone commenting about leaving Twitter for Mastodon, I hear Walter Jones's voice in my head saying "Mastodon Lion Thunderzord Power!" He just delivered that line so earnestly.

Bandai will be releasing a 2.0 renewal figure of GokaiRed from "Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger". This figure has the latest engineering to it to match it exactly to the legendary suit actor Hirofumi Fukuzawa.

The original figure was released in 2011 and is not so accurate now.

Bandai have also released an interview with Hirofumi Fukuzawa, who was 3D-scanned to make the new version. He reacts to seeing the finished figure, compares it to the actual suit and props, speaks about the scanning process, and what it was like to be Gokai Red's suit actor. The interview also shows some of the prototypes.

https://tamashiiweb.com/t_kokkaku/153/

Figure will retail for $85 dollars before shipping and handling

vsQoMtp.jpg

aVa8KpY.jpg

eODnx9y.jpg

I know it's just my own perfectionism and fixation with detail talking, but I have a hard time thinking of action figures as accurate when they have those visible joints breaking up the lines of their limbs and clothing. I've often wished toy technology would advance to the point that they could have a seamless surface over a jointed endoskeleton, like stop-motion animation miniatures. I think some Barbie-type dolls have limbs like that, at least. I assume it isn't usually done because it's more expensive or fragile, but you'd think that wouldn't be a factor for high-end collector's-item figures.

I know it's just my own perfectionism and fixation with detail talking, but I have a hard time thinking of action figures as accurate when they have those visible joints breaking up the lines of their limbs and clothing. I've often wished toy technology would advance to the point that they could have a seamless surface over a jointed endoskeleton, like stop-motion animation miniatures. I think some Barbie-type dolls have limbs like that, at least. I assume it isn't usually done because it's more expensive or fragile, but you'd think that wouldn't be a factor for high-end collector's-item figures.
Fabric might not hold up in the long term compared to hard plastic.

Fabric might not hold up in the long term compared to hard plastic.

I never mentioned fabric, just a solid flexible plastic skin with the joints on an interior armature instead of visible on the surface.

After all, fabric doesn't miniaturize well. I remember my childhood Mego Star Trek action figures and how bulky their uniforms looked in proportion to their size. So if the goal is for figures that look more realistic, fabric wouldn't work anyway.

Not to mention that Spandex is a polymer, so Ranger costumes are basically plastic to begin with.

Bandai- We got that covered.

https://www.amazon.com/Project-No-60-Kaizoku-Sentai-Gokaiger/dp/B0056FE4A6

Twelve inch figure that was released along time ago and goes for $400 dollars.

716MyiBb9tL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And if we want to add my nitpick. I don't think the head on the figure is all that accurate. It looks SLIGHTLY more stylish than the actual suit. The twelve in figure looks more accurate IMHO

Back