Hasbro's Power Rangers era and General Tokusatsu discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

An effective episode. Clever strategy from Tametomo, and a shockingly cruel response from Yodom, sacrificing Yodonna without a second thought. Although her betrayal at not being loved would've landed better if it had been seeded more clearly; I don't recall her sense of being loved as something that had really been established.

Isn't it nice how the monsters always leave the heroes these convenient lulls in the middle of major battles to have long reunion and exposition scenes?

3. Samurai8472

4. Samurai8472

Power Ranger's Dino Fury episode 2

The ADR could definitely use some improvement. It was good to see the team practicing how to morph.

I was hoping Dino Fury would ditch the static black suit/black armor when they morph. Guess I was wrong

[​IMG]

The episode skipped over T-Rex champion zord battling the monster a bit from Ryuusoulger footage and went straight to the megazord part.

They nailed the personality with Mucus/Kureon though. It would have been weird if they made Mucus some tough/doesn't talk much villain

5. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I can usually tell from the first couple of episodes whether or not I'm invested in a Power Rangers season, but thus far, Dino Fury isn't really grabbing me.

I did enjoy Destination Dinohenge and like Solon, Void Knight, Ollie's mom, and the concept of the Sporix, but everything else is various shades of 'eh' right now.

Having said that, though, I'm not giving up on the season just yet, because there are things that are coming that I'm pretty sure I'm going to really enjoy, such as our first female Green Ranger and the possible return of Mick Kanic.

6. Christopher

That's actually a pretty cool sequence, with them jumping into that array of lights or whatever. Too bad it was all in insets so we couldn't get a really clear look.

7. Samurai8472

I see Hartford has stolen Humagear and ZAIA spec technology for his robots ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nikelodeon hasn't changed their Power Rangers page from Beast Morphers to Dino Fury, and they have the first episode DF as the Season 2, Episode 1. It's also grouped with the last four episodes of Beast Morphers, so it took me a minute to figure out why they jumped from episode 1 to episode 19. I'll give it a try tomorrow, it'll be the first Power Rangers episode I've watched since MMPR originally aired.

9. Christopher

Wow, you've missed a lot of highs and lows.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I've gotten that impression from some of the conversations in this thread.

11. Samurai8472

Seriously. It's gone through 3 changes in ownership since the 90's

Disney
    Neo Saban era
    Hasbro.

12. Christopher

For me, the high point was pre-Disney, the first Judd/Chip Lynn-produced era when they were adapting Sentai increasingly closely -- in Space through Time Force. That was the longest continuous run of consistent quality, in my view, and it corresponded to a similar high point in Super Sentai. (Oddly, Wild Force was an even more exact adaptation of the excellent Gaoranger, yet somehow didn't manage to be nearly as good.) The Disney era was more uneven, though it peaked at the end with Jungle Fury and RPM, the only two Power Rangers seasons that significantly surpass the Sentai seasons they're based on.

Neo-Saban was mostly weak, though Dino Charge/Super Charge was much better than the rest. So far, the Hasbro era has been a vast improvement.

13. Samurai8472

An interview with the big producer Shinichiro Shirakura himself

[​IMG]

Holding the Deluxe Zenkaioh

Sitting on Ohma Zi-O's throne

[​IMG]

Interview

[​IMG]

And Kiramager had it's finale today. Can't wait to watch it

The yearly passing of the torch moment that started in 2004 with Dekaranger

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Watched Dino Fury episode 1 this morning, and it was pretty fun, I'll definitely keep up with it.
    So were the fight after Amelia and Ollie got the suits and the flashback with Zayto's people fighting with the Dinosaurs from Ryuosoulger?

15. Christopher

No, the only Ryusoulger footage in episode 1 was that brief shot of all the "Zords" looming over the Rangers in Zayto's flashback. Hasbro seems to like making their series premieres 100% original. Usually, the only Sentai footage they use is the giant battles, with the ground-level action all-new, or mostly new. That's true of episode 2 of DF as well.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, OK. I thought all of the fights with the Rangers in the suits also came from the Sentai shows.
    So do they important the same costumes and stuff from Japan and find actors/stunt people who fit into them or just make duplicates?

17. Christopher

That used to be the case, for the most part. The main exceptions were MMPR seasons 2-3, where they kept using the Zyuranger costumes even while adapting footage from Dairanger and Kakuranger, so they had to shoot original fight footage. But even later on, they often introduced new costume variants unique to PR, like the annual "Battlizer" upgrades for the Red Ranger, so that was all new footage.

But the Hasbro seasons have gone mostly for original fight footage, even in costume. In Beast Morphers, that was partly because they made regular use of the villain armors that only showed up late in the season on Go-Busters. They're doing something similar here, with Void Knight being the Gaisorg armor that only showed up partway through the season (after being previewed in the 4-week team-up miniseries beforehand).

I think it's a mix of both. Anyway, Super Sentai tends to use the same stunt performers as Rangers year after year, so there's a standard suit actor who does all the Red Rangers (and lead Kamen Riders), a standard guy who does all the Blue Rangers, that sort of thing. So as long as PR does the same thing, the suits will always fit.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That makes sense.

19. Samurai8472

S
    No.

I feel like you asked this question before right? They have a supply of ranger suits provided to them by Toei. That's how they can film original footage and not rely on Sentai footage to dictate what needs to happen

[​IMG]

Yes they ship over props and such from Japan.

Set video

They have a stunt team in New Zealand

Coincidentally. Some people noticed that Mucus looked a little different from Kureon from Ryuusoulger

Kureon

[​IMG]

Mucus

[​IMG]

I'm only noticing so far the goo straight down Mucus's chest goes further than Kleon's.

Also the pupils are changed and the silver parts on the upper side of Kureons are now black

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  20. Christopher

I noticed that the face was different, but I thought it was just a repaint to darken the underside of the mushroom. But that is a pretty substantial reworking.

Oh, well. It's not like Kureon was involved in the fighting, as a rule. And Hasbro PR hardly uses any non-giant Sentai footage anyway. So we're unlikely to get the kind of costume inconsistencies between Sentai and PR footage that we got in something like Turbo, where they used the higher-quality animatronic costumes built for the feature film, or for female characters like Necrolai and Camille where they toned down the "nudity" of the original costumes.