Hasbro's Power Rangers era and General Tokusatsu discussion

Cool. To date, as far as I know, only the first Space Sheriff series, Gavan, has been legitimately available in the US, since it's streaming on Toei's YouTube site. That site only has the first two episodes of Sharivan and none of the third series, Shaider.

An interesting thing about Sharivan's lead actor, Hiroshi Watari, is that he appeared in the first six consecutive Metal Heroes series. Sharivan was introduced in the last few episodes of the previous series Gavan, then returned along with Gavan in the frame portions of Shaider's clip-show finale. In the fourth Metal Heroes series Megabeast Investigator Juspion, Watari played a recurring ally of Juspion's called Boomerang, and then played the title character in the fifth series, Dimension Warrior Spielban, making him the only actor to play two Metal Heroes. And he returned for a 2-episode guest role in the sixth series, Choujinki Metalder.

The Dekaranger are back!

A "Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger 20th Fireball Booster" V-Cinext has been announced!
The movie will hit Japanese cinemas in early Summer 2024, with a Blu-ray & DVD home release on November 13th 2024. In it, Deka Red will use his new "SP1 Licence" to change into a new armored form. The limited special edition releases of the Blu-ray and DVD will also include the new SP1 Licence Memorial Edition toy.

Official site - https://www.toei-video.co.jp/dekaranger20th/
Toei Video site - https://www.toei-video.co.jp/special/dekaren/#DSTD20872h

• Cast - Ryuji Sainei (Ban/Deka Red), Tsuyoshi Hayashi (Hoji/Deka Blue), Yosuke Ito (Sen-chan/Deka Green), Ayumi Kinoshita (Jasmine/Deka Yellow), Mika Kikuchi (Umeko/Deka Pink), Tomokazu Yoshida (Tetsu/Deka Break), Mako Ishino (Swan), Tetsu Inada (Doggie Cruger), Toshio Furukawa (narrator)
  • Screenplay - Toshihisa Arakawa
  • Action director - Hirofumi Fukuzawa
  • Director - Katsuya Watanabe
  • Special cooperation - Kochi City, Kochi Prefecture
  • Production - Toei Kyoto Studio
  • Distribution - Toei Video
  • Limited screening in early Summer 2024
  • Blu-ray & DVD scheduled to be released on Wednesday, November 13, 2024

The Dekaranger are back!

YES! This is the announcement I've been waiting for all year!!

Sweet, I love Dekarangers.

Any chance that they will continue the Space Squad series of movies?

Space Squad - Gavan VS Dekaranger was pretty awesome.
Uchu Sentai Kyuranger vs. Space Squad was good too IMO

I just watched Gavan VS Dekaranger for the first time two days ago, and yes! It was pretty awesome. Haven't seen the Kyuuranger one yet (didn't watch that series aside from the first few episodes) but I am very interested to see more Space Squad. It seemed like this was gonna be a thing they continued based on the setup in Dekaranger but I haven't seen anything about it at all.

For awhile it was looked like they were trying to push Gavan but people were like "Stop! It ain't happening! Stop trying to make it happen!"

Gavan is the one that gets all the attention in retrospect, but I'd say it was the weakest of the three Space Sheriff shows, aside from Kenji Ohba being the most charismatic of the three leads. Sharivan had a stronger story arc, and Shaider had a great kickass female partner in Naomi Morinaga's Annie. And they both had better villain organizations than Gavan did, with more interesting characters.

It's been interesting to rewatch Dekaranger after watching the Space Sheriff shows. There are so many homages I didn't recognize the first time around, like the narrator constantly explaining how the suits materialize and so on. The narration in general is very Showa-style, particularly the way every episode ends with the narrator urging on the heroes.

Some interesting facts regarding Kamen Rider Gotchard and it's conception

https://twitter.com/april21223/status/1714651635409113383

https://twitter.com/april21223/status/1714651660566630792

Seems like this could be a big year with female representation for being Kamen Riders. We've already got at least 4 women who show potential to be a Kamen Rider this year.

Also we'll see about the last goal/agenda of having a female main rider. The show is very boy merchandise focused so it will be interesting how they can sell a female main rider.

Maybe she leans on her brother who's has a more cooler looking Rider form?

XGu6ppr.jpg
RKyY1i1.jpg

Apparently there will be a new TTFC special staring Kamen Rider Kaixa
oyviqbh.jpg
https://twitter.com/tokusatsu_fc/status/1701807919665148002?s=46&t=ujiYouoAdweFb0c3KkSmTg

Seems like this could be a big year with female representation for being Kamen Riders. We've already got at least 4 women who show potential to be a Kamen Rider this year.

Four? Are you counting Clotho and Lachesis?

Also we'll see about the last goal/agenda of having a female main rider. The show is very boy merchandise focused so it will be interesting how they can sell a female main rider.

What I read is that Kamen Rider is popular with girls because it's aired immediately after Pretty Cure, the big thing in magical-girl anime these days. That's what's driving the push to include more female Riders, along with the popularity of female Riders among the Western audience. So it's the existing audience interest driving the change in the show, which means there's probably already a market for female-Rider toys.

Besides, it's a myth that boys won't buy toys based on female characters. Toy company marketers invented that segregation for their own convenience. They've just assumed it's true and marketed the toys accordingly, in a self-fulfilling loop.

Weird to see the Dekarangers looking so much older yet still wearing the same clothes and doing the same jobs. (Except Doggie. He hasn't aged a day.)

So the big reason for this special is boosting tourism.

That's kind of a tokusatsu tradition. The Showa-era series often did episodes set at resort hotels or scenic towns or amusement parks or the like, basically promoting them within the story in what I figure must have been some kind of product-placement deal in exchange for the use of the locations, or something.

They are called "Uniforms" for a reason ^_^

I just mean it's a weird contrast to see everything looking just the same and then get close-ups on the faces of these actors looking 20 years older. And one would think that people would've moved on, got promoted, and passed the torch to their successors by now. Although maybe this is a "getting the band back together" premise.

Anyway, one would expect an organization to have updated its uniforms and equipment after 20 years. I had that reaction to the Heisei Ultraseven productions -- it was three decades later, but they not only wore the same uniforms, they even used the same 1967-vintage vehicle and equipment designs.

Back