Has there ever been a Kryptonian Green Lantern?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Vanyel, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Would you need yellow kryptonite to defeat him?

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Or just regular kryptonite wrapped in yellow paper. The paper gets it past a GL forcefield but the radiation gets through the paper regardless.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Remember that yellow represents fear now though. It only works as a weakness theoretically if one has fear of anything. Green K would still hurt Clark even with the ring.

4. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

Couldn't he have the ring block the radiation of Kryptonite, of any color, and keep it from hurting him?

5. Admiral_Young

That's a good question. I suppose so. He could use the ring to protect an protective bubble around himself I guess.

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even gold Kryptonite (being yellowish)?

7. Vanyel

Isn't the yellow flaw of the rings gone now, if the GL has enough will power? And even if it did the kryptonite itself would have to get inside the person shield of a GL.

8. Vanyel

...with a Green Lantern Power Ring.

9. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess so. Old-style Green Lanterns were not completely powerless in the presence of a blackbody radiator like the sun, so just because some object that's radioactive is yellow should have had no effect.

Another weird thing is that kryptonite was sometimes used as a power source, but it's always been depicted as either completely innocuous or with only long-term health effects. I don't think a radioactive material could be both.

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Post-Crisis Kryptonite has always been eventually hazardous to humans as well as a power source. Being exposed to Green K for years is what gave Lex Luthor cancer so bad he had to have his brain transplanted into a new body.

11. Myasishchev

No, I know. But an acute dose of ionizing radiation will often not give you cancer.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

You mean Lex couldn't find a cure to cancer? What a pussy.

13. Myasishchev

No, I know. But an acute dose of ionizing radiation will often not give you cancer.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh89h8FxNhQ[/yt]

No yellow ribbon for Louis Slotin.

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was really sad.

15. Myasishchev

I dunno. Cloning a replacement body is a pretty good stopgap measure. :p

16. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Right. That's my point. There wouldn't be "additional" powers. Superman is like Hal on Krypton. So the Guardians wouldn't reject a Kryptonian based on the fact on ANOTHER planet for some reason he could fly.

17. Vanyel

But on a planet with a yellow sun, which there are quite a few of in the DC Universe, the Power Ring, becomes superfluous.

Without the Power Ring, Hal is Hal everywhere; Superman is Superman and a Green Lantern under a yellow sun, and a Green Lantern in other star systems. Theoretically, he could create the radiation of a yellow sun inside the protective field generated by the Power Ring and be "Superman, the Green Lantern" where ever he is.

18. Admiral_Young

Only a red star takes away Clark's powers. As long as he is in a sector with a yellow star or similar spatial object he will be fine. The yellow sun of course also acts as his personal power battery which he can use to power up if he gets weak.

19. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You pretty much answered your own question. We know a Daxamite that 's been chosen, and clearly the powers that be had no problem with that.

And since we know that race is in power equal to Kryptonians I don't see what logical reasons there would be to exclude them.

The only real difference between them is one race has a weakness to lead, one has a weakness to kryptonite.

Are both equal vulnerable to magic?

20. Myasishchev

That magic thing is so inconsistently portrayed. Like, if Superman is vulnerable to magic, and we define "vulnerable" as "the magical act would have the same effect on Superman as a normal human," then Captain Marvel would have turned him into a red mist back in 84 in All-Star Squadron and Wonder Woman would've laughed Max Lord's threats off and garrotted Superman till he passed out (wait, can you strangle a man who breathes in space?).