Has there ever been a Kryptonian Green Lantern?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Vanyel, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

I know Sodom Yat is a Green Lantern, but he's not Kryptonian, he's a Daxamite. So has there been any mention of a full time Kryptonian Green Lantern, or one shown? And just how powerful a Green Lantern would he/she be?

Or would the Guardians, or the Power Ring reject a Kryptonian because of all the additional powers the combination would incur?

I really need to go out on Friday nights. Like I did in my 20's. Those were fun times. Hmmm. My midlife crisis seems to be coming a bit early. 42 is early for a midlife crisis? Right?

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

As far as I know there have been no "in continuity" Kryptonian Green Lanterns. There was an Elseworlds tale about Superman becoming Green Lantern.

3. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think a true Kryptonian was ever chosen, but Sodam Yat of Daxam was chosen. The Daxamites are pretty close to being Kryptonian; given Daxam's status as a break away colony from Krypton, the Daxam / Krypton relationship is similar to the Romulan / Vulcan relationship.

4. Admiral_Young

^ The original poster already brought up and excluded Daxam.

5. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ugh. I knew I shouldn't be posting at 2:30 am while I'm sick. :lol:

Sorry guys!

6. Admiral_Young

^ No worries...and get well. I think there was a comic that explained that the Green Lantern Corp isolated the sector of the galaxy where Krypton is located (there's been some question if it is even in our galaxy. In my own fan fic I place it in the Andromeda galaxy).

7. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

A reversal of this occurred in a Steve Gerber else-world where Clark Kent is rocketed from a dying earth to Krypton and eventually becomes the sector's Green Lantern.

8. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Racist!

Anyway, I liked the one about a Green Lantern Jesus (Yehoshua in the book till the reveal, natch) in one of Alan Moore's Tales of the Green Lantern Corps eight-pagers back in the early eighties. The Guardians never mentioned it to Hal because they thought he couldn't handle the historical facts. Neat story. Pre-Crisis, of course.

9. Admiral_Young

Mon-El of course was Sodam Yat's successor with the ring until recently. There probably would be no reason for the ring not to choose a Kryptonian if one was around...

10. Myasishchev

Aren't Lar Gand and Sodam Yat the only Daxamites in the 21st century who aren't total assholes?

P.S.

Drawn or just scripted? I'm curious, because you seem like a bright guy. At the same time, Andromeda? Boo. Too far. There have got to be yellow suns closer than Sol. Then again Jor-El made crazy-science telescopes that let him leer at bare-chested men in Kansas and built a spacefaring rocket in his garage, so maybe I'm not equipped to scrutinize his methods.

I guess if you really wanted a planet with 1)a red sun, 2)experienced an extinction event, and 3)is close you could do worse than putting Krypton around Procyon B, currently a white dwarf but (of course) previously a red giant. Depends on whether you want Krypton to "explode" or to be overtaken by a "supernova." Both of these are, astronomically speaking, stupid, but really they're not at all dumber than a civilization somehow being taken by surprise by the inevitable expansion of their sun and Kal-El was sitting in his rocket for a billion or two years...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  11. Admiral_Young

I dunno about Sodam...he was all whiny at the end. Oh the pressure and what not. Lar was an ass about Shady and Earth-Man...so if you ask Shady she would say no. LOL

12. Myasishchev

Oh, and another random Superman question! Has anyone ever noticed and/or utilized the weird similarity between "Dox," remover of Kryptonians, and "Daxam," Kryptonian colony? It's not a huge lexical leap (Gothalania --> Catalonia, Zarathustra--Zoroaster). I've never seen it written with pronunciation guides, either.

And bear in mind I edit my posts a lot.

13. Admiral_Young

The fan fic is my own ongoing Superman project that basically reflects my own take on things. It originally started out as an Alternate Smallville project, I chose Andromeda because theoretically it could be one of the '28 Known Galaxies' that Jor-El mentions in the Donner-Verse. So the project only consists of notes and scribbes and character bios and what not. Maybe one day I'll post it in fan fic.

I still can't think of any examples for the original poster.

14. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Post-Crisis, the likely reason there was no Kryptonian Green Lantern was that the Kryptonians had some kind of genetic affliction that made it impossible for a Kryptonian to leave Krypton. Jor-El found out about this and managed to cure it in his son, right before he found out the planet was going to blow.

It was the Post-Crisis reason for there being no other Kryptonians except Superman, until they dropped it in the 2000s.

15. CaptMurdock

CaptMurdock Commodore Commodore

The future birthplace of Capt. Christopher Pike
    Interesting. I remember a Tales of the Green Lantern Corps where Tomar-Re (the piscine looking GL) was up for retirement from the Corps, when the Guardians held an inquiry into his failure to keep Krypton from exploding. It seems he was to delay Krypton's destruction until one Kryptonian, Kal-El, grew to manhood, when the Guardians prophecized that he would become one of the galaxy's greatest heros. BY this, they interpreted it that he would become a Green Lantern.

After all was said and done, the Guardians shrugged, and let Tomar-Re off the hook. Have a nice retirement.

16. Admiral_Young

^^This is the second thread you've posted in with that theory. I still don't remember where you got his from. Was it during the Bryne years? I assumed that this would have been introduced during his run. Or perhaps in the World of Krypton mini-series or whatever it was called.

17. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

It was a backup story in Action from back in the seventies.

18. Admiral_Young

Ah gotcha. No wonder I'm not familiar with it then.

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't those powers only happen on planets with yellow suns? So, like on Krypton he/she would be like everyone else...

20. Captain Mike

Captain Mike Commodore Commodore

Just how long had Tomar been the Green Lantern of Sector 2813? As I recall he had been one of the first Green Lanterns selected and was honored as such. (Although my "oldtimer's disease gets in the way most times...LOL) And when he perished in COIE's wasn't his ring passed on to his brother?
    As for Superman I recall during the Armeggeddon fiasco that when future Clark was elected President, that the Gaurdians tried to present him with a ring because he made Earth a peaceful Utopia like planet? He eventually turned it down.:confused: