Harley Quinn webseries (2019)

And people only remember Snowflame?

Well, Snowflame is more "fun" as a villain, and he had his own personality, raving about how he's powered by cocaine, while I'm pretty sure that Hemo-Goblin was more of a barely speaking monster being used by the white supremacists. Plus the HIV storyline, while probably well meaning by the writers, was not done well and so was mostly forgotten.

The New Guardians writer, Steve Engelhart, was definitely trying to talk about (at the time) modern real world issues in the book, but didn't really hit the mark. For example, there is a reason very few people know about Extrano, even though he was DC's first openly gay character: he was hugely stereotypical, and just not a great character.

Snowflame just happens to be the perfect blend of wacky idea, memorable appearance, and pure 80s craziness, he couldn't have been conceived in any other decade, so he's very memorable for a one shot villain from an obscure comic book mostly filled with Z-list characters.

I completely missed the Valentines special, had to go watch that. Holy shit.

American broadcast standards are weird. So much about that special was really graphic -- the language, the violence, the sexual themes -- but they still censored the women's nipples? Why even bother at that point? I mean, I can understand an actress not wanting to do a nude scene, but these are cartoon characters.

Snowflame just happens to be the perfect blend of wacky idea, memorable appearance, and pure 80s craziness, he couldn't have been conceived in any other decade, so he's very memorable for a one shot villain from an obscure comic book mostly filled with Z-list characters.

Honestly, I just assume one of the writers watches Atop the Fourth Wall.

I'm caught up now, good stuff so far. I've said before that I preferred it before when Harley and Ivy weren't a full-on couple as I liked the edginess and comedy that way (my opinion anyway, same with Sam/Diane, Niles/Daphne, David/Maddie, and so on) and keeping them on separate tracks with Harley trying to do the "good guy" thing has been a plus for me. I've enjoyed both the Bat-fam Harley and the Evil CEO Ivy tracks.

I noted while watching too just how much Kaley is Harley for me now. When I first started watching there was a bit of a disconnect but at this point it's very natural. At least, a version of Harley, just as with Batman I have multiple takes of the character I oxymoronically (or perhaps just moronically...) accept as definitive.

I'm loving the Bat Family arc. I didn't think it would work...but it does!

And Ivy just tearing shit up as the Evil CEO is so much fun. Especially when she turned against Lex's bullshit.

Gah, I think I may have a cartoon crush on Volcana.

It's so hard to get anything off the ground these days it's kind of amazing these weird little diamonds in the rough keep appearing here and there. It's crazy to me that of everything out there it's this show that has me waiting to tune in week after week to see the next developments.

Fuck! We're gone a few days and the Snyderverse people took over?

I love this show. Bane's pasta maker quest was epic and Captain Cold is living his best life. Jeanene Garofalo and Rachel Dratch are great as Mama Nacaroni and Nora. It seems to be firing on all cylinders right now.

Fuck! We're gone a few days and the Snyderverse people took over?

I love this show. Bane's pasta maker quest was epic and Captain Cold is living his best life. Jeanene Garofalo and Rachel Dratch are great as Mama Nacaroni and Nora. It seems to be firing on all cylinders right now.
Rachel Dratch was having waaaaaay too much fun in this episode...and I didn't even recognize Janeane Garofalo but she was brilliant as always! :D

This show's version is truly the best Bane.

I haven't found this season as satisfying as the previous ones. A lot of the comedy on this show has never been to my taste, but I love the beautiful, rich character work they've done, like the nuances of Harley and Ivy's relationships and the amazing work they did with Harley and Bruce late last season. But this season has mostly kept H&I apart and has been more of a workplace comedy, I guess, which doesn't appeal to me as much. Watching Ivy battle with office sexism and politics has just felt generically sitcommy and not very enjoyable. Hopefully things will pick up in the last couple of episodes now that H&I are back together.

Also, the Joker returning to evil feels like they ran out of ideas for what to do with him, although I guess it is in character for a narcissistic personality like the Joker to be unable to make real change.

Back