Hand-over from past incarnation

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Lance, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe. And he would still be healthy.

Edit to Add:
    And it would be a way to connect nuTrek films to this series -- not through a specific character (considering they happen in different universes), but through an actor who plays a version of the character.

Although Greenwood is currently 60 and Hunter was about 40 at the time he played Pike.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  2. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Future Guy.

3. Bones

Bones Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In my head canon, Future Guy is Gary Seven's cat. So sure, if Bruce Greenwood doesn't make the cut, then I'll take Future Guy/Isis.

Kor likes this.
  4. BRT

BRT Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Well, with Rainn Wilson's casting (still surprised that wasn't an April Fools joke!), we may have our answer.

5. JediMindMeld

JediMindMeld Lieutenant Red Shirt

T'Pol would be the logical choice I guess. I doubt they'll involve any Enterprise characters though. If I made a new Star Trek show I'd make a point of distancing myself from it completely. Bones showing up on TNG, or Picard showing up in the DS9 pilot, that had some sentimental value to the overwhelming majority of the viewers. T'Pol showing up on Discovery on the other hand... I don't really see the point. It would be fan service for a show that barely has any fans.

Bones likes this.
  6. mdtauk

mdtauk Captain Captain

For the fans, it would serve one important purpose. Establishing beyond a doubt, that the series takes place in the Prime universe - as well as being a nice nod to the past series. With Sarek being a character, she could also introduce him to the audience. It would be for Sarek to mention his son Spock - which will catch the ear of new viewers and indicate the time period.

Forgive the crappy script segment, but it is just an example of how they could use the character and torch passing

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Bones and Mr. Laser Beam like this.
  7. JediMindMeld

Excellent point. I didn't consider that, but you're right. It would ground the show in the prime universe. It's a good idea.

Someone on the previous page suggested using Bruce Greenwood - I think that's a bad idea for the same reason. The less people conflate the Abrams films and the show, the better.

8. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There would be a T'Pol the Abrams verse.

Like there's an Archer, the Xindi, a NX-01, and er... the space dust formerly known as Porthos.

9. JediMindMeld

Sure, but T'Pol (and above all, the actor playing her) hasn't actually made an appearance in the Abrams universe. No one would see her and think "Knew it, Kelvin timeline".

10. Hela

Except the movies and the creators have said that both timelines shared Enterprise.

So no, people wouldn't assume Abrams-verse. The point is, that she wouldn't automatically make it Prime either. Not like say, a Chris Hemsworth cameo. And anyone who cares enough to know that there is two universe, would know that.

Besides, T'Pol never appeared in any other 'Prime' universe series either. And everyone knows that Enterprise only exists in an altered timeline created by First Contact, and isn't really a prequel to TOS.:devil:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Kor and Bones like this.
  11. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well - berman era Trek is dead. Also, as this is for a 'new' medium (streaming) I for one would hope they do't do such a handoff unless it fits their story; or they just go TOS style - meaning the audience encounters the ship and crew well into their mission/tour; and we find things out as we go,

If pre-production reports are accurate:

- This is a heavily serialized story so it won't be the 'random planet/situation of the week' paradigm of previous shows.
    - The Captain of the ship ISN'T the central/main character of this series.

So, yeah, given the above, I for one won't mind if they ditch the cameo handoff trope of Berman era Star Trek. YMMV.

12. JediMindMeld

It doesn't really have any bearing on my point, does it. The overwhelming majority of the audience probably doesn't have the faintest idea of the ins and outs of that conflated mythology, none of which has been explained on screen. What they do know is that T'Pol has never shown up in an Abrams film. If you wanted to connect Discovery to the Kelvin timeline then having a cameo from, say, Bruce Greenwood (as was suggested earlier in this thread) would make sense. T'pol would not.

13. Tesophius

Tesophius Captain Captain

We just had a thread about this. I want T'Pol.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

As said in the other thread, Captain Robau. Faran Tahir does TV, and showing that he's alive in the Discovery universe is a nice big "things are different here"

15. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

T'Pol would be...logical, but Blalock seems to have distanced herself from Trek.

Greenwood or Tahir would be fine with me, but some might whine about the Kelvin connection.

16. Bones

Bones Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think linking to ENT isn't necessarily a good thing. It started out with an audience of 12.5 million and ended with about 3. That's an erosion of over 9 million fans with a small residual base. Linking to ENT would probably be negative or at best neutral.

17. Hela

It kinda does

Assuming CBS pulls some of the general audience that Abrams films managed to snag, than the overwhelming majority of the audience won't be indicated in any direction. Because nobody watched Enterprise.

T'Pol only means something to Trek nerds. The exact sort of people who do know the ins and out of the lore (which Spock did explain in 09, btw,) and have seen that there's multiple copies of her in other universes. An appearance would be fanservice, and nothing more.

And you know what? That's fine. They could use the whole damn cast of Enterprise if they want, it just wouldn't have any more special importance than say...Quark grifting Harry.

18. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

How long do Denobulans live? The send-off should be Phlox at Starfleet Medical sending the new doctor to serve on Discovery.

Kor

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

We have no idea.

20. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Porthos or forget it.

m.lp.ql.m and Kor like this.