News Guardians of the Galaxy v3 indefinitely delayed

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well they are public, but people usually don't look back very far in Twitter feeds. Especially on accounts that have a lot of tweets. It can be far too time consuming. There's also no way to search... so you need to paginate backwards and save off pages, building your own local cache, then search through that. Very tedious.

2. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

Thank you.

3. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

YLu, Anwar, Avalon and 7 others like this.
  4. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The fact that they never looked for another Director suggests this was always the plan; they just needed to let some time go by for appearances sake.

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I think that was probably Kevin Feige's hope, if not the overall plan from the Disney higher-ups.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I would also think that except for the fact Gunn was hired to direct the Suicide Squad sequel.

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  7. Turtletrekker

Well, under any circumstances I don't blame James Gunn for looking for new work based on the possibility that Disney *might* rehire him.

8. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

And, according to Deadline, he's now directing both films. Guardians 3 will be his first project once he's done with Suicide Squad 2.0. Everybody wins! Well, except the Nazis. They don't win.

YLu, Deledrius, Anwar and 4 others like this.
  9. Gary7

This is HUGE! Oh man, I'm so stoked. He did such a great job with this series. Vol 2 was a noticeable step up. So who knows, maybe Vol 3 will rock it even higher. :techman:

I wonder how this managed to get worked out? I'd read a couple posts on Reddit claiming that other directors were refusing to do it, pressuring Disney to fall back to Gunn.

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Yeah, that's a fair point.

I'm really hoping that Vol. 3 will become a smash hit. :D

11. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

At least we don't have to listen to Bautista whining anymore. He can work with his creepy friend again.

I thought the character development was great in Guardians 2 but I was surprised with how little action the movie had in it. I prefer the first film.

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Where are all the people that supported the firing. We need to get their viewpoints.

13. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Well, this turned out to be much ado about nothing. Okay, not really nothing, we get a James Gunn Suicide Squad movie out of all the drama.

14. Gary7

I think the real key is tie-in to the music. Bringing classic rock into the story helps tie it back to "us," so everything isn't quite so alien. And Gunn has such a fond appreciation for it and the talent to weave it into the screenplay. Naturally, the comedy is also tremendous.

I just wish Yondu didn't die... such a great character, as personified by Michael Rooker.

15. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Great news!
    Unfortunately Gunn first is going to direct Suicide Squad 2

16. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Too busy working on their theories about how the box-office numbers for Captain Marvel are fake?

Anyway, here's why he gets a second chance and dicks like Tucker Carlson never will.

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1106633508657651712/photo/1

17. Gary7

18. Turtletrekker

Exactly. His humble and apologetic reaction to this whole situation is the exact opposite of the doubling down done by the likes of Tucker Carlson and Roseanne Barr.

YLu, Anwar, Skywalker and 5 others like this.
  19. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

It’s the way things should be. I’m so glad they kept him since he’s the reason those first two were as good as they were. It’s something in all his films, truly sympathetic weirdos and losers. I’ve been a fan since his Troma days and he’s only grown and improved his work.

I bet the Disney Imagineers are happy too. Gunn was supposed to film footage for the Guardians coaster at Epcot. He’s apparently been an excellent team player for the various branches of Disney and was delighted to get to contribute to the rides. Which probably helped him some. He’s a theme park geek and jumped at the chance to help make a ride. He filmed all the footage used at the ride at California Adventure during vol 2, which saved a lot of money for them because he insisted on doing it himself instead of hiring someone else.

I trust him completely for that. He had apparently already picked out what he wanted when he finished the script.

I will miss Yondu. It was an important scene and helped grow Peter and Rocket. Maybe some hint of him can appear in a flashback or cameo though, he’s been in every one of Gunn’s films so far. Lloyd Kaufman has too, except for Vol 2 or I just didn’t spot him.

20. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I can picture them going repeatedly into showings of Captain Marvel and painstakingly counting visitors as evidence for their theory.

Ovation, N-121973 and YLu like this.