Green Hornet-Seth Rogan-summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Craig

Vice Admiral
Admiral
Well the movie is still 2 years away but SONY has released their first piece on it publically in the form of the logo and date.

GreenHornetmovielogo.jpg

It may not be much on this slow news morning but Sony Pictures has released their first gift to fans eagerly awaiting The Green Hornet. While the film is still two years away from hitting theaters, the studio has given the media what looks to be their first official logo for the upcoming hero adaptation. Perhaps, an official website is coming soon? The character, previously played by Bruce Lee, is now being overseen by Seth Rogen and his partner Evan Goldberg as screenwriters. Previous reports have Rogen wanting martial arts star Stephen Chow in the role of Kato but that hasn't been confirmed yet.

Plot Summary:The Green Hornet" made his debut on January 31, 1936 on WXYZ Detroit, the creation of the station's George W. Trendle and Fran Striker, who also created the Lone Ranger. The series, which ran until 1952 on the Mutual and NBC Blue networks, followed the adventures of Britt Reid, a bored playboy whose life is changed when he inherits his father's crusading newspaper, The Daily Sentinel. He saves the life of Kato, a Japanese man with incredible technical and martial-arts skills, who becomes Britt's closest ally -- and transforms Britt's car into the supercharged Black Beauty, which gives them an edge as they search for evidence to expose the city's underworld in the newspaper. When Britt and Kato witness a brutal mob hit, Britt invents his secret identity -- taking his name from his powerful car's defective horn. A skilled fighter and expert marksman, the Green Hornet uses two special, non-lethal guns to subdue criminals: one fires a potent knock-out gas while the other produces the "Hornet's Sting" -- an electric shock.

I am not well versed in GH lore but will follow this with some interest. I did not know he debuted before Batman though as there are elements shared by both.

Mods I was torn about putting this with other "hero" fare in SFF but went with it here since GH is non-powered. Move it if you must.

I would have put it in the SF&F forum.

I was thinking about this the other day, wondering if it was still a go. Seth Rogen is an odd choice for the Green Hornet, and that makes me even more interested in this project. I want to see how well he can play this straight.

^ Is he playing it straight though? I just assumed his casting meant that it was a spoof or a comedy version, like Jack Black as fellow green superhero Mr Lantern.

This remake/ adaptation has been kicking around for a while. George Clooneywas supposed to play the role in the mid-90s (fittingly, with Jason Scott Lee as Kato) but jumped ship to star in The Peacemaker. Jake Gylenhall was supposed to be attached at one stage, but the next thing Rogan was announced. I wish they'd gone for someone more traditionally square-jawed like him, but I have to admit, Rogan is a funny and talented guy.

I have a feeling it'll be a comedy-adventure film.

It's Seth Rogan...who is a popular comedic actor/writer...you don't give him X millions of dollars to create a straight action film with zero experience. You want some return on the investment. You want to bring in the people that expect him to be funny.

And there's that part in the synopsis...he names himself after his defective car horn? Really?

I hope it's good.
But I would rather see a straight Green Hornet film. But like I said, I'm just expecting a comedic action film, I could be wrong.

As long as Kato isn't someone like Masi Oka, there's always a chance the sidekick could carry all the "heavy work" and still pull the film together.

Seth Rogen? Are you fucking kidding me? Seth Rogen as a superhero? I think he's hilarious and I love just about everything he's done with Judd Apatow, but this seems like a terrible miscast.

Brett Reid doesn't have to be as much of a hero-style himself. He just hast to be able to put his newspaper-assets into place to do "the right thing", or better stated, to be sure "the right thing" is what happens.

Kato HAS to be versed in martial arts, though...that's just always been a part of it.

(I'm not optimistic, but willing to go with it until it turns out as crap...they can't ALL be Nacho Libre, can they?) :D

Well, the point could be that The Green Hornet guy is clueless and Kato does everything...the way that scene in The Bruce Lee Story goes. Or every episode of Inspector Gadget.

^ Is he playing it straight though? I just assumed his casting meant that it was a spoof or a comedy version, like Jack Black as fellow green superhero Mr Lantern.

This remake/ adaptation has been kicking around for a while.George Clooney was supposed to play the role in the mid-90s (fittingly, with Jason Scott Lee as Kato) but jumped ship to star in The Peacemaker. Jake Gylenhall was supposed to be attached at one stage, but the next thing Rogan was announced. I wish they'd gone for someone more traditionally square-jawed like him, but I have to admit, Rogan is a funny and talented guy.

I still remember that rumor. He did look like the original actor that played the green hornet. I spotted the original actors cameo quite easily in "dragon the bruce lee story"

heh Jason Scott Lee playing Bruce Lee playing Kato

Thats like the joke on stargate sg-1's "200"

"Originally the role of Daniel Jackson was played by James Spader which was then played by Micheal Shanks etc"

Seth Rogen? Are you fucking kidding me? Seth Rogen as a superhero? I think he's hilarious and I love just about everything he's done with Judd Apatow, but this seems like a terrible miscast.

Rogen has written the script, so he's essentially cast himself.

Is it the year two-thousand-ten or is it the year twenty-ten? Everybody's more interested in Kato's role instead. Seth Rogen, meh. I mostly remember the guy for the McLovin part in Super Bad. Other thant that...

I think it's oviously they will be going for comedy. I mean they orignally wanted Kevin Smith to do the movie and then they turn to Seth Rogan. They keep going for people who do comedies or at least movies with alot of humor.

Jason

Brett Reid doesn't have to be as much of a hero-style himself. He just hast to be able to put his newspaper-assets into place to do "the right thing", or better stated, to be sure "the right thing" is what happens.

Kato HAS to be versed in martial arts, though...that's just always been a part of it.

(I'm not optimistic, but willing to go with it until it turns out as crap...they can't ALL be Nacho Libre, can they?) :D

My thoughts are going this direction as well. For what episodes of the TV show I saw I much more remember Kato as the muscle and Reid as the brains. I do not recall a great amount of physical prowess outside a few well placed punches by Reid. He used his non-lethal gun of gas and stingers when things got heavy and Kato wasn't there to back him up.

However, the double edge to that is I also don't recall Reid as a bumbling Inspector Gadget character either. He was useful and not full on comic relief.

If they balance it out then Reid as Rogan may be fine, especially if Kato is done like I think he should be.

My thoughts are going this direction as well. For what episodes of the TV show I saw I much more remember Kato as the muscle and Reid as the brains. I do not recall a great amount of physical prowess outside a few well placed punches by Reid. He used his non-lethal gun of gas and stingers when things got heavy and Kato wasn't there to back him up.

However, the double edge to that is I also don't recall Reid as a bumbling Inspector Gadget character either. He was useful and not full on comic relief.

If they balance it out then Reid as Rogan may be fine, especially if Kato is done like I think he should be.

But basing it on the TV series would be like basing Batman Begins on the 1960s TV series...

Are they playing this serious or is this going to turn out like Starsky and Hutch?

I wish the Greg Kinnear/Jet Li idea had come through.

Well, the point could be that The Green Hornet guy is clueless and Kato does everything...the way that scene in The Bruce Lee Story goes. Or every episode of Inspector Gadget.

Pretty much. So who plays Kato in this, uh "Parody".

BTW: Would Rogen make a better Blue Beetle or Booster Gold?

But basing it on the TV series would be like basing Batman Begins on the 1960s TV series...
Well that is my only point of reference. I've never listened to the radio serial and I know I flipped through a few comics, maybe read a few but the TV show is my only reference so there you go.

^^^
Seriously? I guess not cause of the winky, still the PC police are a touchy bunch.
Its not like black in this reference has anything to do with black people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back