Grade "Horizon"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by where'sSaavik?, Apr 17, 2003.

?

Grading... (Only Choose 2)

1. Episode: A+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Episode: A

10.5%
  3. Episode: A-

15.8%
  4. Episode: B+

31.6%
  5. Episode: B

26.3%
  6. Episode: B-

5.3%
  7. Episode: C+

10.5%
  8. Episode: C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Episode: C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Episode: D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Episode: D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Episode: D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Episode: F+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Episode: F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Episode: F-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Remastering: Excellent

10.5%
  17. Remastering: Above Average

36.8%
  18. Remastering: Average

26.3%
  19. Remastering: Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Remastering: Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emily_reich

emily_reich Commodore Commodore

i must agree (even though i gave this ep an A and i loved it), they really could have given us more of EITHER the main plot OR the bplot instead, and i would have been happy.... they don't ALWAYS need an external conflict OR a conflict that invloves weapons... it CAN just be a different kind of conflict (like in this ep, travis and his bro... or they could have fleshed out to see if trip got angry with archer for asking tpol to go with him... hmmm... now that WOULD have been interesting)

2. where'sSaavik?

where'sSaavik? Vice Admiral Admiral

B

I found myself impressed with Montgomery. I knew he could act, but it's been since the last season of "Popular" that he's actually had a chance to do any. :rolleyes:

I liked his scene with Archer, even the ones with Reed and his mother. While he didn't nail the scene in the "sweet spot" he didn't misfire either. He was able to demonstrate with this ep that if given the material he can hold his own. Now, if only tptb will use him.

The episode doesn't get an "A" because it failed to knock my socks off in any particular way. The generic aliens who attack the ship weren't particularly scary. The actor tapped to play Travis' brother was out-acted in every single scene, sometimes by his chair. And while I liked Jolene's performance in the "B" story, I found Archer really annoying in these scenes.

If not for Montgomery's very good performance this ep would've been a "C" or lower.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Judging by your comments, I'm guessing you would've enjoyed Mariah Carey's performance in Glitter. Her capacity to act, or lack thereof, pretty much parralels Montgomery's.

4. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

Would have cracked me up more if one of the movies had been "Young Frankenstein". (Can you imagine Trip singing "Putting on the Ritz" in an attempt to talk T'Pol into going? :) )

I gave this episode a C. Again, I'm forced to agree with Ptrope - the episode was okay, but didn't knock my socks off. The actor who played Paul gave a poor performance; the character was well-written, but the actor just didn't seem up to it. The actress playing Travis' mother was decent, but nothing special. Perhaps, given that she was chief medic as well as chief engineer, I expected somebody a little more... well, "weathered" would be the polite way of putting it. :) Weary, even. Perhaps it was because Montgomery gave a stellar performance that the guest cast seemed weak by comparison. Hell, he even outacted Scott Bakula in the "sweet spot" scene... I'm sorry, Scott, but you're trying too hard. Archer's emotions and sympathy seemed forced.

I'll even give the writers props for a bang-up job of writing Travis' character in this episode. But, alas, one well-written character and one stellar performance does not make a great episode. The plot was cliched, and the movie night B-plot was not as interesting to me as the microbial lifeforms on the planet undergoing the seismic eruptions. (I did like T'Pol's "it's alive", though. :) And they say Vulcans have no sense of humour.)

Oh, and I'm thoroughly sick of the arguments over whether T'Pol should have eaten popcorn with her fingers. (It's not important, people! Would you have her go looking for a spoon? Now, if it had been beef jerky, then I could see the hue and cry... I mean, Spock ate with his fingers in "All Our Yesterdays". Okay, maybe that was a bad example, since he was eating meat. :) )

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I give it a B.

A decent(if not classic) outing for Travis.I liked the music and effects especially.

The b-story with T'pol anf "Frankenstien" was cute too. :lol:

6. Just a plain old B.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Considering the recent "history" behind "Enterprise" -- the Third World War and all of that -- looked at in a certain way there's something weird and unsettling about the 22nd century fascination with movies from the early-to-mid 20th century.

I keep thinking of the scene where the kids watch the video about feline anatomy in "Threads" (please don't tell me that's obscure)...

8. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I gave it a D+. The only reason that "Horizon" was a waste of time in my books, was that Mayweather finally got a character development episode.

Otherwise, the rest of it was terrible and not worth my time.

9. KIRK1ADM

KIRK1ADM Admiral Admiral

Honestly, I think to point out the fx is pointless. The fx on this show are always pretty good. Its unfortunate they don't place that same type of emphasis on developing the scripts, producers and performances from the actors and actresses on the show. :borg:

10. Hegemon

Hegemon Commodore Commodore

D.

I thought it was dreadful.

11. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

F

That was the most boring thing I've semi-seen on TV in a long time. I kept fast-forwarding thru the stupid thing to see if anything about it was remotely worth watching. The good news is that it took me 12 minutes to watch the whole episode.

The only vaguely interesting part was when Trip said something to Travis about his mother wanting to know what her boy was up to. I guess it's now no longer insensitive for a Southern white male to refer to a black man as a "boy" even in this context. That was interesting from a sociological perspective. (Yes I know it wouldn't be a big deal in the 22nd C; I mean for early 21st C writers to write that is interesting.)

If Anthony Montgomery is an actor, I'm the Empress of the Klingons. Sheesh, he could give wooden lessons to a tree. Horrible. :p His scene where he was supposed to be in mourning for his father, but succeeded only in looking like a peeved five year old, was particularly wretched.

12. PoisonedPawn

PoisonedPawn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

B

I was pleasantly surprised with "Horizon". It wasn't amazing or anything, but I enjoyed it. I really liked the B-plot with T'Pol, and the scenes on board the Horizon were pretty good, too.

So far the only episode I haven't enjoyed since February is the "The Crossing", so things are definitely improving on ENT. :)

13. KIRK1ADM

KIRK1ADM Admiral Admiral

Personally I disliked the subplot a bit. Part of it is I'm tired of Enterprise being the T'Pol show. :borg:

14. Imzadi13

Imzadi13 Commodore Commodore

I gave the episode a B-...I really liked it, but it could have been better.
    I loved the fact that it was a Travis episode...gotta love Travis.
    I also loved the B Plot and thought it was very entertaining, and was able to lighten up the more serious tone of the episode.
    I needed a lighter episode. My grandmother just passed away this week, and seeing that the episode coming up focused on the death of Travis' dad wasn't exactly making things better, but the lightness of movie night really made it better for me :)
    Plus, I mean, Archer and T'Pol had a "date"...worked for me :p

15. KIRK1ADM

KIRK1ADM Admiral Admiral

Sorry to hear about your grandmother :(

16. Imzadi13

Imzadi13 Commodore Commodore

Thank you.
    I'll get through though.

17. Delsaber

Delsaber Commodore Commodore

Solid B. As far as Enterprise character development episodes go, I'd still take Breaking the Ice over this one, but I liked what I saw. Travis is actually pretty interesting when given time.

18. armalyte

armalyte Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I will now describe what happened when me and my friends sat down to watch "Horizon".

I'd downloaded the vcd from #st-enterprise the day before. We were sitting in my apartment with nothing better to do, so I asked,

"hey, how about having a look at the new Enterprise episode?"

To which a friend replied,

"Sure, why not."

About five minutes into the episode, someone remarked,

"There doesn't seem to be very much happening in this episode."

We shrug it off, then after five more minutes, someone felt compelled to say,

"This sure looks like a boring episode."

to which one other replied,

"What did you expect? It's Enterprise."

After five additional minutes, I had had enough, and hit the space button, turning around to my friends, saying:

"I'm sorry, I can't stand this anymore."

to which one other friend, sitting in my bed, looking like he was about to fall asleep, said:

"Thank you."

One day after this, I sat down again, thinking, "alright, I have to get through this anyway so I can at least join the discussion". It stank as much as I was afraid it would.

I do have one reconciling aspect of this episode. Someone died. Sure, it wasn't enough to break the Death Count Zero on the ship, and it happened off-screen, and Travis didn't even get to see the body, but still...

a.

19. StrangeCloud

StrangeCloud Commander Red Shirt

B- I do like the way they are starting to develop the characters, but the whole "movie night" thing is irritating.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

B+

It was a little dull, but overall it held my attention all the way through. I also liked to see how life was on a 22nd century frieghter. Everyone seemed to know everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.