Grade "Breach"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by T'Bonz, Apr 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

B-

Was that two "a" stories or two "b" stories? And why do both have to be resolved in the same hour?

Phlox continues to be the only member of the crew worth watching.

I was really hoping that someone would buy the farm.

I'm usually not a stickler about this, and I'm sure people here have discussed it up to here, but....how exactly is everyone going to forget about tribbles by the time Kirk encounters them?

2. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

B+, this episode did a much better job with adding insight into a character than "Horizon" did.

3. I gave it a B.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I say B+....
    -A genuine surprise that one of Phlox's kids is actually a Denobulan neo-Nazi. Possible future material here.
    -Denobulan/Anataran problem = all the stupid pointless Earth wars nobody remembers the real reason for. Made its moral point without belabouring it.
    -The cave scenes = terribly funny. They just should NOT send Trip on any more away missions! He's a jinx! They can't take him anywhere.
    -Are all Denobulans so obsessive-compulsive? We've seen Phlox and how odd he can get....now these scientists who're taking their rocks, dammit, since you won't leave us alone to wait till the next coup in two weeks...
    -Minimal annoying Archer-yakking.
    -Reed looks surprisingly good in khaki.

5. watermelony2k

watermelony2k Vice Admiral Admiral

I give it an A. Good acting, good scenes, and John Billingsly gave a good portrayl. He really stunned me when he got angry!

6. Xenoclone

Xenoclone Commodore Commodore

B+

The Good:
    -Archer was good, maybe one funny line, but the rest was great. He was VERY captain-esque, taking charge in the ending there and dealing with Phlox's emotional crisis.
    -Phlox was also good. So alien, yet so familiar.
    -Wonderful ending. Smart, emotional, not overdone.

The Bad:
    -the cave plot felt like it was written as the "comedy" subplot, yet was directed to be serious. It came out awkward.

Dang it though. Enterprise has been pretty good this season!

7. Sarvek

Sarvek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am in total agreeance. I gave the episode an A. The tribble scene was priceless.

Cheers ;)

Sarvek

8. Guest

Guest Guest

I gave it a C. Phlox performance was worth an A+ and Archer was worth at least a B+. But that cave scene drug the rating down, it was a bit much, to be polite. :rolleyes:

9. shootER

shootER Commodore Commodore

B.

Pretty predictable, but Phlox made it more worthwhile.

10. Sxottlan

Sxottlan Commodore Commodore

C+ or **1/2/****

Meh...Now I remember how bored I could get with TNG.

Some thoughts:

-A teaser worth its weight in gold.

-Phlox continues to be the best character on the show.

-However, this was predictable and preachy. I kept hoping the patient would die or Phlox would reveal himself as a racist towards the patient or that one of the other Denobulans would kill the patient to make for an ending like out of Duet. But nope. Everyone is enlightened and was anyone seriously thinking it wouldn't turn out happy in the end?

-The cave scenes were actually rather well done. I actually got the feeling that we were in an actual cave and not a set. And Travis is given a good amount to do.

-Next week's episode looks scary. :(

11. nealish116

nealish116 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

12. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

13. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I have been very skeptical with ENT this season because its been a near disaster with badly written episodes and bad stories. However, I went in to this episode with a postitive attitude (do some of you bashers do that? Probably not) and was pleased with what I saw. Phlox (As always) was great this week and delevered one of the best speeches (About teaching his children to have an open mind) of the series.

However, I agree that the cave plot took away from what otherwise was a good message. It should have been a phlox episode through and through and Billingsly is showing once again why he is the best actor on the show.

BTW I gave it a B+

14. its_a_clock

its_a_clock Commodore Commodore

C-.
    I like Phlox. Billingsly has made him the only character that seems to be actually present, not phoning it in.

The cave scenes seemed pointless but at least they gave Travis some lines and some training that the other kids didn't have. The Denobulan scientist were far too complacent (as was the AoW in sickbay -- really, haven't we had enough of this exact plotline in previous Trek?) The scientists needed hardly any convincing to leave, and they had no idea who the away team was, or even where Earth was for that matter!

Archer was painful in this one, but the lines between T'Pol and Phlox were great. Hoshi didn't exist, and that's not a bad thing.

Hopefully they'll lay off the plotline retreads after "Cogenitor." They've given us 3 out of the last 4 ep's. :o

15. dogsowar

dogsowar Commodore Commodore

C
    Didn't put me to sleep and didn't piss me off.
    Billingsly was great in this one.
    Easily the only great actor in the cast.
    :borg: :evil: :mad:

16. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

I gave this episode an A. One of the more thought-provoking episodes of the series. The theme that what we are taught to believe is not often true, with its relevance to discrimination, the interaction between Phlox and the Antaran and the revelation of the reason for the rift between Phlox and his youngest son were very well wrought. Kudos to Billingsley - when he broke down in the mess hall in front of T'Pol, I could really feel his pain.

The teaser with the tribble was priceless - and finally we get an explanation as to why the tribbles' homeworld isn't just one gigantic ball of fur ten thousand kilometres in diameter. :) (Not that I was losing sleep over that, but it was a nice touch.)

The rescue of the Denobulan geologists was also well done. Their reluctance to leave was well-played (reminiscent of Phlox's latent obsession in "Singularity"?) But was I the only one who was reminded of the Suliban from the way they skittered up the cave walls?

And for once, the ending didn't seem rushed.

And this episode contained an interesting undertone, with the plight of innocents caught in a war zone during a regime change.

(Yes, it may seem as though I'm not giving the series much room for improvement by grading this episode an A, but given the grades I've given lesser episodes, I could hardly give this one a lower grade. :) )

17. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

On first viewing, an A-...

An odd confluence of A and B stories kept it from being an A+. Billingsley deserves an exclusively A story at some point.

Nice cave sliding sequence--very exciting..!

18. reno floyd

reno floyd Vice Admiral Admiral

C- (see review)

19. MoJo

MoJo Commodore Commodore

C-. Archer still needs work before he's on par with Janeway and Picard.

20. buz

buz Commander Red Shirt

C, another vanilla, made for 10 year olds, disney episode. getting quite tired of this show being made "for the children". ok now kids, its not nice to be prejudiced. OMG,THOUGHT PROVOKING!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.