Good acting from William Shatner?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Ragitsu, Dec 10, 2021.

1. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

..which is why he was the superior performer to lead the series over someone like Jeffrey Hunter (or any of the other names often cited as possible casting choices). A significant part of the success of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" (and one of the reasons it sold Star Trek as a series) was Shatner's performance in a story taking him from friend, leader, troubled and enemy all in one episode, and he delivered a wonderful performance. He was tough, adverturous, but all so human, establishing Kirk as a partially tragic character, which would be explored in other episodes (e.g., the back-to-back punch of "City on the Edge of Forever" and "Operation -- Annihilate!"), but it was in WNMHGB that Shatner made an unforgettable mark as Kirk.

2. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

That was fantastic. “Obsession” without the happy ending. All this … and George Coe, too.

3. JaxsBrokenHeart

JaxsBrokenHeart Commander Red Shirt

I always thought that Mirror, Mirror was one of Shatner's triumphs given how frequently he has to pull off the role of Kirk imitating his mirror universe counterpart with varying success. Definitely demonstrative of how he could do complex layers when he had to.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Shatner uses a lot of little tics. One I like, is the thing he does with his jaw, like he's grinding his teeth or something.

GNDN18, Vger23 and Ryan Thomas Riddle like this.
  5. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

When standing, he does subtle little things with his posture and even his hands while they are at his side. It’s something I picked up on as a kid and I can’t unsee it now.

GNDN18 likes this.
  6. PCz911

PCz911 Captain Captain

Interesting… I suppose they must go “bigger” on a stage so folks in the cheap seats (like me) can get the plot.

werdegast and J.T.B. like this.
  7. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

I like Shatner, I really do. But I found his character in For the People generally unlikable.

8. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

Just so. But as a former assistant prosecutor appointed to that position fresh out of law school, I assure you that he nailed the self-important angst that typifies young lawyers on their first job. Oh, he nailed it.

Neopeius likes this.
  9. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With Stewart, "the line must be drawn here" followed by "and IIIIII...will make them PAYYYYYY...for what they've done" is worse than what most people accuse Shatner of doing.

Shatner did go broad in the films, mostly because he wasn't really being directed all that often. Wise and Meyer were the only two people who had a handle on him. His best friend certainly didn't, even though I felt the "klingon basterd" bit WAS damned excellent. "Standard" for Shatner is still great. "I have had enough of you" was action hero funny and there was no serious way to deliver that. After III, Kirk and Shatner were interchangeable. Evenin Trek 6, he was still a bit Shatnery.

However, the TV series had his best work and it was often sublime and subtle. Year three was a crazy time and he probably felt he was the glue holding the series together. Nimoy had checked out and most of his work was "cooly bland" and coasting. Shatner never coasted. The Paradise Syndrome "I am Kirookkkk!" and And the Children Shall Lead were honestly his worst, but for the most part, he was great. He had a huge bag of tricks, more than many other actors, and he could do almost anything. He had amazing control over his body, could whip his hands and arms around like lightning and stop them suddenly like a freeze frame. He doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves mostly because of a) Kevin Pollack and b) some of his post Trek work was pretty over the top (like in The Six Million Dollar Man).

EDITED FOR CORRECTION

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    Qonundrum, Donald G, GNDN18 and 4 others like this.
  10. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

It's not Trek, but Shatner's acting on Incubus is really good. I haven't watched the movie in years, but when I was trying to study esperanto years ago, I gave it a try.

you can see it, here.

The entire movie is done in a language hardly anyone has ever spoken, Esperanto.

Dr Helen Noel, werdegast and Neopeius like this.
  11. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Yeah, I mean, that's an amazing job by both Bill and Jimmy. Flawless line readings and acting by both. The director must have been thrilled beyond belief.

PCz911 likes this.
  12. PCz911

PCz911 Captain Captain

Yea, the TNG movies were…. Interesting. The characters seemed to have the same names and appearance of the series actors but were written and acted very differently. Just my personal opinion, mind you.

BillJ and Methuselah Flint like this.
  13. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

Shatner’s Kirk is superb. TOS has lasted 55 odd years now, and you can put a lot of that credit on him making the role so believable.

Methuselah Flint, Kor, Vger23 and 3 others like this.
  14. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

And there I was blaming the TNG writers for the stupid irrelevant fantasy.
    Mmm apology 20 years later.
    Please don't tell me it was Shatner's idea for his death on the bridge on that stupid planet.

I read that Shatner and Nimoy claimed they had much input into the films keeping Spock and Krk in character. As did Spiner and Stewart. However thats a 2 edge sword as then the actors had too much power. Shatner got his stupid horse fantasy, Stewart the dune buggies, Spiner the singing, the wacky emotion chip.
    Someone needed to step in and say who the heck is Antonia (say substitute Edith), no jumping in the haystack for you Data and can the dune buggy scene be cut in half?

15. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Huh? What does Kevin James have to do with people thinking that Shatner is hammy? Do you mean Kevin Pollak?
    No, I still blame Ron Moore and Brannon Braga. They were obviously trying to court Shatner with the horseback riding scenes, and it worked. To their credit, they're pretty upfront about GEN's story problems in their audio commentary for the film.

It was Shatner's idea to change the name of Kirk's dog* to Butler (after a dog that he'd recently lost IRL) and for Kirk's last words to be "Oh my" after the Moore & Braga written "It was fun."

*BTW, Memory Alpha tells me that Butler was a Great Dane, not a Doberman. Mea culpa. I was misremembering.

16. Ssosmcin

Whoops yes, I got my Kevin's mixed up. Edited the post for correction. Thanks!

JonnyQuest037 and Neopeius like this.
  17. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

Funnily, I knew what you meant, but I was thinking "I'm not sure that's his last name..."

18. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm glad I've preserved your mistake by quoting you from before your correction, then. ;)

19. Ssosmcin

The internet is forever. :biggrin:

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  20. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Maybe. The end result is the best bits cut together. Sometimes getting there is a painful process and the director might be more relieved than thrilled.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.