Good acting from William Shatner?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Ragitsu, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Ragitsu

Ragitsu Commodore Commodore

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Balance of Terror always showcases the best of Trek, but I think Shatner is in great form:

ETA:
    Kirk also does well wrestling with his conscience in "Conscience of the King."

3. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

Meyer got the very best Kirk from Shatner in both II and VI.

4. fireproof78

Also, "Trouble with Tribbles."

Phaser Two and dupersuper like this.
  5. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

It's not very hard to find good acting by Bill. In fact, every episode of the series has at least one scene in which he's excellent; most have many. "Obsession" is one Shatner tour de force that is infrequently mentioned. Same for "Operation: Annihilate."

6. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

All of it.
    WTF?

7. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

Kirk became flintier in the third season, the character less engaging. TMP had flashes of the television Kirk, but only flashes. Nimoy was able to get solid performances from Shatner–more consistently that Shatner the director could get from himself (although V boasts two excellent scenes for Kirk).

Shatner is a gifted actor and his work is never dull, but not every performance is his best work.

8. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The OP "question" is an intentional insult. I'm not buying into this snotty premise.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

There's a lot of good in Shatner's performances across the three seasons of the original Star Trek. I think he does a damned fine job in "The Conscious of the King".

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

There is no rule at TrekBBS which prohibits insulting actors, producers, etc. They are de facto public figures, and uncomplimentary remarks are just part of the deal.

In going on-record by posting in this thread, you absolutely have. "Not buying into" the premise would look either like closing the thread without comment or like never opening it in the first place.

Qonundrum and jackoverfull like this.
  11. XCV330

XCV330 ★ Premium Member

having seen a lot of your replies and comments in various threads i am honestly curious, is there some part of Star Trek you do like or admire on its merits?

12. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's all good. Nuff said.

Qonundrum, DonIago, XCV330 and 3 others like this.
  13. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

If you want some examples of bad acting why not stick to TNG? Most of it was a bit meh for my liking but still the characters were nice and the actors were nice. Watch Beverley and Troi in a scene together.
    You know Shatners acting is one of the fundamental reasons that Star Trek has become the success t has. He started it all. The enegy the humour, the charm he put into the role. One of my favourite scenes is in Amok time where he stands on the bridge hand on hips after he's discovered that Spock has headed the ship for Vulcan and without a shout or a harsh word you know how much trouble Spock is in. Its not just the acting, its his presence, charm, wit, humour, non-verbal behaviour.
    If I have to pick I'd say two of his best episodes are Amok Time and City.
    Theres a gif around I've seen but I can't remember which episode its in where Kirk is wearing the wrap around shirt and he heads for the transporter room and you just know Kirk's in charge and is heading out to kick ass.You don't see Wil Riker ruling a scene like that.

14. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

15. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Shatner hit a grand slam in Where No Man Has Gone Before, which is even more impressive considering this was his first time playing Kirk.

Search4, TREK_GOD_1, Ovation and 3 others like this.
  16. Hofner

Hofner Commodore Commodore

I think Shatner's aall time best ever performance was when he played Sam Kirk's corpse.

Seriously, I think he was best in the first season. Not that he was bad in the 2nd or 3rd, it's sjust that to me, he did season one the best, a little better than the other two.

Way back in 1966 when Star Trek was about to premire, I have a vague memory of someone saying they were lucky to get an actor as good as Shatner to star in the show.

I think it was my mother who said that and I think she was saying it in the vein of, "How did they get such a good actor to star in a silly science fiction TV show?" My mother wasn't into science fiction, all she knew about was stuff like Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and Lost in Space.

Robert

Neopeius likes this.
  17. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe she'd seen Shatner on The Ed Sullivan Show, re-enacting a scene from The World of Suzie Wong with France Nuyen ("Elaan of Troyius").

Or maybe she saw Alfred Hitchcock Presents. I liked this episode:
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0508205/

Hofner likes this.
  18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Did the OP abandon this party after kicking the hornet's nest. :lol:

19. fireproof78

Yup. :beer:

20. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

[​IMG]