Ghostbusters 2016: Talk about the movie(s).

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Frontier, Oct 8, 2010.

1. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the merchandise was moving itself off of the cartoon at that point....from a certain perspective it seemed more like film was piggy backing the brand rather than the other way round. I also don't think Gb2 is a bad film, just bits don't work.
    Murray had to be 'persuaded' to do the first one after agreeing, so I don't think it's always about artists integrity with him, he's just....vague (same is true for Lost In Translation)
    Ghostbusters in the 80s was....big. Internationally big. Bigger than the Mcu is now in a really odd way. All off the back of one film.
    Edit:
    I would say there's also a ton of stuff in Gb2 that doesn't get enough credit. Time passing between films. Where do you go after averting apocalypse in the end of your first film? The subtle hints that Oscar is Peters son, the millennial tension 10 years early, trying to twist what was an adult concept back round since its biggest fanbase is now children. (that last one doesn't quite work. Slimer and newly punkified janine.) The Rick Moranis stuff doesn't quite work, because Gb2 is lot heavier with intentional comedy than the first, but overall...it's on a par with the first film in lots of places. Ironically it's biggest flaws (almost ignoring the Big Fact of the first film...ghosts are real...and probably way too many daytime scenes and a touch of slapstick with cheaper costuming) are things this trailer looks to be repeating (though as remake cum reboot, it's stuck with ignoring the events of the prior films. Which is fair enough for a remake)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    BillJ and STEPhon IT like this.
  2. jaime

The internet and YouTube evolved the trailer fast. But then also led to people faking shots for them (as opposed to putting scenes that work better in the trailer than in the film, or using scenes that were later removed at release. That's been going on for yonks.)
    You want a real laugh, look at the teasers for generations and first contact. Particularly first contact. Guest starring voyager and the ENT D

3. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There was a scene where a ghost did the "naughty naughty" to Ray, was that scene really in the actually theatrical movie??? I was shocked and it was very funny at the same time. LOL!!!

4. STEPhon IT

Lost in Translation was a great movie, and after GB2 Murray has done some great work to me, well for the exception of Charlie's Angels, but I think it hold true to what he's done.

5. jaime

It's mangled in the TV edit (you are left assuming a ghost has just hit ray in the nuts possibly in a dream sequence) but yes it's in the film, and was apparently part of a longer middle sequence the cut out part filmed. Pretty awesome ghost in fact.

6. jaime

I liked Lost In Translation too, mainly for its style and the fact I like Japanese stuff in general. It's a bit too arthouse for its own good sometimes though. I think it's on the directors commentary where it's basically revealed they didn't know for sure he was going to turn up and be in the film literally until they started shooting. There's a similar story for ghostbusters where the director basically picks him up at the airport and basically drag him off to do ghostbusters after he agreed to on a tacit agreement involving his pet project (Razors Edge) gets made. So he finishes making that, and then they physically move him to start work on GB (apparently he was busy making jokes through a megaphone at a crowd or something)

For a professional, and I don't doubt he is, he seems to be unprofessional about things. The Garfield history with him is even funnier.

7. STEPhon IT

I never saw the TV version, just the Blu ray BTW.

8. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I was trying to type it up from memory, but here it is taken from IMDB:

This is the job that Ray and Winston are driving back from when they talk about the End of Days.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  9. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Being a passive person.

10. Arrrrgggh

Arrrrgggh Captain Captain

Which was a rip-roaring conversation. I was in stitches from start to finish of that scene. HI-larious!

11. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Stand up, man. Don't let a movie that doesn't affect you negatively in any way get you down. Be strong. Be... strong. *sniff*
    *hums Battle Hymn of the Republic*

12. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I think changing locations would have done wonders for this movie and help it separate itself from criticisms and comparisons and be able to just be its own thing. I said it earlier, but I think a GB in New Orleans would make a lot of sense given the culture. I never really understood why the original movie was set in NY, but then again maybe that was part of the funny.

13. jaime

Gothic architecture, lot of history for that part of the world, probably some spiritualist church connections,and at the time was just starting to be up and coming again, there were probably a ton of tax breaks for shooting there at the time too.
    They filmed Braveheart in Ireland for less reason.

New Orleans does work well, but doesn't have the university set up the story needs.

14. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I'm amazed this movie is so controversial. Leave it to me to be odd man out twice with the same film.

At first, when I heard it would be directed by the guy who did Bridesmaids I was dead set against it, because I hated Bridesmaids (walked out after the bridal shop scene) and figured a ghostbusters sheboot by that director would blow. Of course, everybody else said give it a chance.

So now I've seen this trailer...I think I'm looking forward to this take after all. It changed my mind.

So of course the trailer's getting dumped on like a statue in a park full of pigeons...

I give up. :shrug:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  15. Tribbles and Bits

Tribbles and Bits Ensign Red Shirt

I'd quibble with this a little bit since Ivo Shandor designed the building in the first movie to be a super-conductive paranormal Antenna. Shandor was long dead in the first movie and not able to actively use his design, but the concept is still there.

16. jaime

I'd say the tech is more homemade rather than makeshift. But yeah, it's like a not dead Ivo by the sounds of it.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think it's about the New York attitude and culture. They get plagued with ghosts? They aren't gonna scream and tremble in fear, they'll just form a business to clean up the darn things. (Although they'll probably use a much stronger word than "darn.")

18. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, you've got it flipped. That was the original release trailer, here is the re-release trailer and it highlights the comedy of the film. Isn't it possible the comedy to drama ratio in the new film is flipped for the trailer, that were seeing more of the 'funny' bits than the dramatic?

19. jaime

When I clicked the link it ended on a 'back in theatres 2011' logo. *shrug* either way my concern is that the trailer isn't showing me an interesting story concept, doesn't have that much funny stuff either, and shows some stuff that makes me suspect I won't like the tone or the designs. (it later turns out some of the bits I did like in the trailer are from the end of the film according to some reports too)
    So, original trailer...decent mix, bad narration, good trailer for its time. This new trailer....is not working for many people, myself included.

20. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess there's that, though I took it to mean that in general, there's a rise in paranormal activity and these guys happen to have an idea about how to help and combat the situation, which is something that could happen anywhere. Making a business out of it just seems like a good idea, wherever you are. If there's one thing I would change, it's being able to access them via 911. I wonder if the new movie will touch on that.