Ghostbusters 2016: Talk about the movie(s).

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Frontier, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Chekov's Phaser

Chekov's Phaser Waiting to be relevant. Fleet Captain

Why do you persist on saying this? No one in this thread has said their opinion is better than yours. What people are saying that it's difficult to judge an entire movie on one small two and a half minute trailer.

2. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

It's because some people confuse their opinions with who they are as a person. So any perceived attack on that opinion is an attack on them.

It's not true. I happen to love both Tron movies and a lot of people think they suck and have told me so. That still doesn't bother my enjoyment of them.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Where have I seen this conversation before? Oh, right, in every pre-release thread about every movie ever.

Jedi_Master likes this.
  4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I'm still curious as to why he needs to have. They aren't the same character.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  5. Awesome Possum

Character wise, it shows that she truly cares about the rest of the team and will try to save them despite a possible risk to her life.

6. Showdown

Showdown Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was responding to Tosk, who believed Wiig has her wand hostered. In that scene, we only see her wand for a second.

Yes, it is one of my favorites. Peter, Ray, and Egon are nervous and jumpy. When the maid showed up, they blasted her cart. They were not goofing off or trying to scare the maid.
    I assume Wiig was also feeling the same as Peter. McKinnon was just goofy off and intentionally spooked someone with a dangerous weapon. Wiig could've blasted her. I probably wouldn't mind if Wiig was just holding a PKE meter, or if the scene would have made me laugh.

BTW, I'm not attacking the movie, just the trailer. I liked the fan re-edit better because, for me, the official trailer was simply not funny.

I figured that's why the film makers made 3 white scientists and 1 black non-scientist, because of the originals, not because of racism. Just defending their choice.
    They wanted to make it similar to the original, but make their own movie with different names and personalities. That's why the non-scientist is black, yet not a Winston-clone.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  7. Arrrrgggh

Arrrrgggh Captain Captain

Actually, no, that's not what you and those of a like mind to you have been saying. At all. You may mistakenly believe otherwise, but that doesn't change the reality one bit. What you guys have been doing, however, is trying to shut down anyone and everyone who has shown concern about the movie based on the trailer.

Based on that response by itself, you clearly have no idea what my opinion is, and thus you're proving my point all the more.

You can't even get that right. Shock of shocks.

My point in regards to that is Winston was damn near a straight man in the movie. He was an everyday man responding to a "help wanted job" for a job that sounded so absurd that it was going to be a cakewalk. As the movie progressed, he began to realize what was what, and by the end he was a geniune hero along with the others.

In the trailer, Leslie Jones appears to be a psychotic, loud-mouthed Jesus freak bitchslapping her teammates in the most ridiculous way possible.

That's just insulting to her counterpart from the original. And it suggests very strongly that the movie is going to be an over-the-top festival of slapstick, gross-out humor, and absurdity, which the original wasn't no matter how much you try to convince people it was. God forbid people interpret it that way, too. You know, with them having actual proof to base that opinion on, whereas folks like you have jack shit to base your "oh, it's going to be super duper great, and you're just being irrational whiners! And because I believe this, my opinion is better than yours because it's based on wishful thinking and gumdrop magic, so STFU."

8. Awesome Possum

Once again, you're basing this on a few seconds of footage. You have no way of knowing what the actual character arc is. It's a wacky scene to sell audiences on the fact that this is a comedy film with ghosts in it. Generally in comedy trailers, the wackier scenes end up in the trailer. They want to appeal to as wide an audience as possible.

9. Chekov's Phaser

Chekov's Phaser Waiting to be relevant. Fleet Captain

Again no one is doing those things you are saying. Non one is shutting down anyone who doesn't like the trailer. What people have been doing is shutting down people who are convinced the movie will suck solely based on the brief trailer.

10. Showdown

Showdown Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  11. Arrrrgggh

Arrrrgggh Captain Captain

Perhaps you should go back and read some of the posts then, because that's exactly what several people have been doing.

12. Awesome Possum

We can disagree with your opinion. We call that debate, message boards are built on the idea. We don't have to sit and agree with each other 100% of the time. No one is throwing you off the forum, we're just saying you might be wrong.

lurok, Tosk and Grendelsbayne like this.
  13. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Why is this message board the only rational discussion of the film? People dislike the trailer sure, but they're disliking it because they aren't fans of the type of comedy being presented here, which is perfectly valid.

I loved this trailer, I really wanted to find other places to discuss it besides just here, but everywhere else I go it seems has been flooded by bigots who are more concerned about the main characters genders than they are anything else. It really depresses me.

Tosk likes this.
  14. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But how can women fight ghosts? They'll be so busy crying and acting irrationally because of their lady periods that the ghosts will surely escape.

15. Christopher

There are also a lot of people who loved the trailer, judging from the reactions I've seen on various sites.

That's a shame. I thought the conversation here was bad enough, but it's just the same kind of skepticism you get for any movie trailer these days. I guess it could be a whole lot worse.

16. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I, for one, strongly disagree with Sony's decisions, such as:

- Making a movie not explicitly aimed directly at me
    - Casting actors that some people do not find amusing or at least sexually appealing
    - Not making an embarrassing spectacle featuring an old crazy person and an old completely disinterested person
    - Overwriting every existing copy of the Original and True Ghostbusters

Those bastards.

17. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

18. Christopher

Hemsworth is using his own accent, eh? At least in the international version -- I wonder if that will be true of the US version as well.

And, amusingly, they seem to be sexually objectifying the one male team member in a way the original movies didn't do with Janine. Although it seems they're also using Kevin to poke a bit of fun at the audience's silly reactions to an all-female team.

Also, they've changed the "Four scientists saved the world" line to "Four friends," probably in response to the point raised about Winston.

Did they say someone is using a device to amplify paranormal activity? So maybe there's a human villain in this?

19. Myko

Myko Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Charles Dance is in this, I'm guessing he's the villain. Being British and all.

20. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Neil Casey is the villain.