Ghostbusters 2016: Talk about the movie(s).

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Frontier, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Terminal Reality wrote the character to be Dana Barrett (with her being a descendant of Shandor being TR's explanation for why both Gozer and Vigo went after her), and Sigourney Weaver was approached for the project. Weaver, believing it to be a cheap cash-in, declined, and so the character was rewritten as Dr. Ilyssa Selwyn and Milano was cast. By the time Weaver realized that the original cast were involved, she offered to change her mind and participate, but Milano had already recorded her dialogue, her sequences had been animated and she'd been paid -- it would have been cost-prohibitive to bring Weaver in at that point, since basically all the Ghostbusters would have had to re-record their dialogue, too, and it was already a significantly cash-strapped project.

jaime likes this.
  2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's a shame. I had no real problems with Milano's role in the game, but it would have been great if they'd actually gotten Weaver to come back instead.

3. Zaku

Zaku Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sources to support both claims?

4. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pubert never has those, except for his own opinions, which he somehow asumes should be everyone's opinions.

Amaris and Zaku like this.
  5. Zaku

And really, how can you prove similar claims??? And how do you decide who is a real "Ghostbuster fan"?

6. Timby

At the same time, you can't really blame her for being skeptical, given the history of movie-based video games. And beyond that, Weaver has always been famously protective of her likeness -- the whole reason a Ripley action figure wasn't released until semi-recently, for example, is because she didn't like the idea of kids playing with toys that have guns, and she didn't realize that there was such a thing as a collector's market.

7. Mage

I never made any claims about real Ghostbuster fans ;)

And as for how I can make my claim? I 'm familiar with Pubert's posts. :D

Zaku likes this.
  8. Zaku

Ops sorry, I was talking about the Pubert post. [​IMG]

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can understand her skepticism, good movie video game tie ins are definitely a rarity.

10. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I think there is a blood test for Midi-chlorians involved.

Zaku likes this.
  11. Mage

Quite allright. :)

12. Zaku

6 Things I Learned As An Extra On The New 'Ghostbusters'

Amaris likes this.
  13. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just saw the trailer at the Jungle Book movie... Kids sounded excited about all over the theater. So we'll see...and to beat a dead horse, the bag with the wig and hat reminded me of Bill Murray's magic trick antics with the tablecloth. Seemed funny to me - Ghostbusters-type of joke

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw the trailer again last night ahead of "Captain America: Civil War" in 3D. I'm still cautiously optimistic about the movie itself, but the trailer was shown in 3D, and it was *very* obvious that the 3D was done after filming. And badly too; the characters looked like cardboard cutouts.

Does anyone know if they've done proper 3D on the movie itself, and this was only for the trailer? If not, I'm going to be watching it in 2D.

16. Timby

It was shot on ARRI Alexa XTs, which can be fitted for 3D lens rigs, but I don't believe it was natively shot that way.

That being said, post-production conversion has gotten so good that almost no one shoots in native 3D anymore. All the Marvel Studios films since the first Thor have been released in 3D, and all of them have been converted during post rather than using 3D camera rigs (which are a pain in the neck to set up and light for).

17. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I don't know what happened here, but the 3D looked awful, especially compared to the trailers before and after it.

18. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I saw Chris Hemsworth is the new Janine...:luvlove:

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

He seems like he might be Janine combined with Louis. Sort of.

20. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know why but I have absolutely no interest in seeing this film. I have to say I did want a reunion of the originals but of course they waited too long and Harold Ramis died. Still it would have been nice to get a continuation in the original Ghostbusters world instead of just another reboot. The preview just looks like another over bloated Sci/Fi/Horror/Comedy film. I do not think it will be anywhere as great as the original. I will probably wait for it to reach cable to view this one.